Brewer Fanatic

Rotation battle

So more or less James, you are saying that CC doesn't hit extra base hits, which is reflected in his SLG which is something he controls.

He also:

Does not steal bases.

Does not hit for high average.

Does not hit for a high average with RISP

All of the above has a significant effect on his ability to score and drive in runs.

And yes, walking and stroking singles 95+% of the time you reach base doesn't help either, either, lol!

James

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he also is a below averag run-scorer for an infielder and games played.

Since you've stated this as fact, back it up. How many times has he been on base, compared to how many runs he has scored. Given all the times that he has been on base and hasn't scored, what did the hitters behind him do? How many times was he stranded because the hitters behind him didn't help him out by advancing him? It shouldn't be hard for you to do this, since you clearly know it to be true.

Only useful when comparing contrasting it with the league "averages" which I will not employ the leg-work to pursue.

I'm certain in your mind this renders my argument impotent.

That's cool, i can live with it.

A more useful (and easier but still arduous) method would be to look at the infielders who received comparable playing time/position in the batting order and looking at how often they scored and drove in runs. I certainly do not have the time, nor the resources to conduct such an exhaustive report.

If you choose to pursue this, I suggest YOU prove me wrong that, relative to his postion, and position in the batting order, that CC is anything MORE than a below average offensive player.

James

There isn't a reason to discard him when it is likely he will be the best option at a later time.

So just stash him in the bullpen until two or three starters go down? That's not good for the Brewers (wasted roster spot and likely costing Parra or Narveson) or Jeff Suppan (sitting there rotting and not pitching). That would appear to be the wost decision in my mind, but that's my bias I have to deal with.

Clearly their intention is to assemble the worst roster they can

Clearly, suspicions are arising.

It isn't a wasted roster spot. You option down Villaneuva who is buried on the bullpen depth chart as it is. Have Narveson or Parra pick up his innings and make Suppan the long relief guy(or vice versa). This also allows for Villaneuva to stretch out and start for Nashville helping the overall starting depth this year and in the future.

It's because the ability to hit for extra bases doesn't help much with your teammates getting on base ahead of you or driving you in.

Craig doesn't drive many runs in or score much because he slaps singles around all day. Then I believe he gets doubled up like 80% of the time after he hits his single. I might be wrong, probably.

local hero wrote:
He also:

Does not steal bases.

Does not hit for high average.

Does not hit for a high average with RISP

All of the above has a significant effect on his ability to score and drive in runs.

And yes, walking and stroking singles 95+% of the time you reach base doesn't help either, either, lol!

James

Dude... I agree with you. I am just saying that arguing that he does not have many RBIs or Runs is not going to get you very far. Especially on an intelligent board like BF.net.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As a moderator, I'm not even sure where to begin with splitting this thread from its two divergent tangents, only one of which discusses the title at hand.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, I'm closing this thread and beginning a new, hopefully less unwieldy and more on point, discussion of the important "rotation battle".

Archived