Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds - What are his chances?

RyDogg66
So Edmonds is this year's Trot Nixon or Gabe Kapler? Having been far to busy to follow the afternoon game stat lines, what are his chances of making this team as the 4th/5th OF with Gerut as the other possibility?

I think he makes the team. Not sure if I like that idea much. He seems like he wants to get at least all the AB, or very near to, against RHP. I also see him in CF a lot so far this spring and I think he may be only our 3rd best CF on the team defensively(Gomez then Gerut then maybe Edmonds).

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

By the AB's he's getting and where he's hitting in the lineup, it's his job to lose. Personally, I'm with logan3825. I just don't like the idea. I'd much rather see a RH bat in his spot or at least younger guy like Oeltjen or Iribarren. But those guys aren't getting starts this spring and Edmonds and career minor leaguer Stern are. Doesn't make sense to me and neither does not giving Lucroy a better look than he's gotten so far. Hopefully things will change.

My objections mostly center around my opinion that I don't think he will get enough at bats to keep him happy. It seems like he thinks he will get more than half the at bats at some outfield spot. I also don't think he is a good CF anymore. His UZR/150 in CF since 2002. 1.4, 6.0, 1.3, 9.7, 7.6, -2.3, -23.3. Nothing there to suggest he would be much better than average at best in CF. Yet, Macha has been putting him in CF almost exclusively. I hate a manager with sharp objects.

I blame Wang.

I don't like it all. I guess if he's hitting at a 40 homer pace during the season I'll warm up to him, but I don't want to see him get 250+ plate appearances, especially if the team hovers around .500 for most of the year.

If he's stomping around already proclaiming he'll be in the lineup against every righty, then he's a detriment to the team. If he makes the team it almost certainly means Irribarren gets cut, there's no room for Gamel, or possibly Gerut is gone.

I don't think he is stomping around and complaining or anything, yet, I just got the impression he thought he was promised a lot of at bats and I don't think he would or should get many.

I blame Wang.

If we ride out the last two years of Prince's contract then playing a guy like Edmunds may be the right move. Of course that's assuming his production warrants him a "win now" designation. I certainly like him better than Hart but hopefully one of the younger guys like Gerut break out and make Edmunds expendable.

It was painful to listen to Rock go on & on today about how 'you won't find a much better centerfield defender' than Edmonds

That and the 700 times he and Brian were talking about how there was still snow in Wisconsin, but it was melting. We know, guys. We're here and we've been here for a while and this happens every year at this time. You don't need to tell us.

I was at the game on March 6th vs. the Giants. Every inning the team came in from the outfield, Edmonds appeared to be coaching Braun or Hart on something. His arm sure looked great that game also when he gunned down a runner a third by quite a bit.

It was painful to listen to Rock go on & on today about how 'you won't find a much better centerfield defender' than Edmonds
About 8 years ago when he was nightly having web gems on ESPN, sure, but not now. However, his experience and talent could prove to be an extra outfield coach for Braun and Hart, which isn't a bad thing.

My objections mostly center around my opinion that I don't think he will get enough at bats to keep him happy. It seems like he thinks he will get more than half the at bats at some outfield spot. I also don't think he is a good CF anymore. His UZR/150 in CF since 2002. 1.4, 6.0, 1.3, 9.7, 7.6, -2.3, -23.3. Nothing there to suggest he would be much better than average at best in CF. Yet, Macha has been putting him in CF almost exclusively. I hate a manager with sharp objects.
Well let's see. You have a guy who you want to see if he can hack CF anymore and you have a bunch of meaningless games in which to put players in. Would seem that it would be managerial misconduct to not put him there.

Edmonds would need to fall flat not to make the team.

I think there's a good chance he makes since he's probably the 3rd best outfielder. I like his offense better Gomez and his defense better than Hart or Braun. I don't like him in center defensively but in right and left he's the best we got (late inning replaement for Braun). I also think there's a better than 50% chance that Gomez implodes, he certainly looks terrible at the plate (I know it's way too early), in which case we go with a below average outfielder in center.

Though it seems he's been given the job in CF to lose, Gomez is not exactly a sure thing at this point, so I'd imagine that the vets Gerut and Edmonds are around in part as insurance for him. It's not out of the realm of possibility that one or the other (or even both) get a lot of time this year. Personally I hope it doesn't come to that....but surely Melvin recognizes that there's a chance that Gomez flops badly.

Edit: Looks like Tbadder had the same idea while I was typing...

So is it possible Gomez starts in AAA? This would justify signing Edmonds if Doug wanted the option to take Gomez back a step. Most feel he was rushed to the majors, so plunking him in AAA for a year may not be the worst idea....

Boy I can't see Gomez not getting a shot to win this spot. He's already a top 2/3 Center fielder. I could see Edmonds playing once a week and pinch hitting but I don't want him in there every day. We'll see I guess.

Well let's see. You have a guy who you want to see if he can hack CF anymore and you have a bunch of meaningless games in which to put players in. Would seem that it would be managerial misconduct to not put him there.

We'll see. Hopefully that's all it is. With Macha I have little faith that is all he is doing.

I blame Wang.

Archived