Brewer Fanatic

Twins to introduce "next generation of hot dogs" at Target Field

hawing

Link while active, text follows:

The Minnesota Twins will introduce the next generation of hot dogs for their fans at the team's new outdoors stadium on Monday.

Minnesota Twins fans learned last month that their Dome Dogs won't

be following their favorite players from the Metrodome to Target Field.

But the team hasn't said what will replace the $5, quarter-pound hot

dogs provided by Austin-based Hormel Foods Corp. since 2001.

I suppose you can't have a Dome Dog where there is no dome.

If there were a "twinsfan.net" worth its salt, they'd have a thread following this extreme breaking news. (And I suppose salt is a semi-intended pun.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Breaking hotdog news!

Apparently it takes four types of Schweigert hot dogs to replace the Hormel Dome Dog.

Original Twins Dog: A traditional pork and beef hot dog, it

will be made from the same recipe as the ones served in the team's

first ballpark - Metropolitan Stadium - and will be available at many

of the park's concession stands.

Twins Big Dog: The quarter-pound all-beef dog will officially

replace the Dome Dog and will be served at portable grills and select

concessions stands. As with the Dome Dog, chips are included.

Dugout Dog: An old-fashion pork and beef hot dog in a natural

casing, it will be sold in the stands by retro-attired vendors. The

dogs will be steamed in vending boxes and placed in a bun when ordered,

not pre-wrapped.

Dinger Dog: This extra-long pork and beef dog will also be available at select Hennepin Grille locations at Target Field.

The "Dollar A Dog" promotion will be back, featuring the Original Twins Dog, a limit of 2 per customer, and a stadium wide limit of 20,000 per game.

And should you be in need of Twins hot dog lore, here is a story I wasn't aware of, but some of you probably knew already:

Dome Dogs were first sold at the Twins home games in 2001. Among the

bigger promotions were the Dollar-A-Dog Night on Wednesdays and the

Hormel Hot Dog Row of Fame. Those seated in that row received free hot

dogs.

The Dome Dog's most memorable -- and infamous -- moment came in that

first season, when fans pelted former Twin Chuck Knoblauch with $1 hot

dogs and assorted debris as he stood in left field for the New York

Yankees. The unruliness halted the game and prompted public-address

announcer Bob Casey to scold the offenders, "Now quit this!"

And all the Miller Park faithful do is boo ex-Brewers.

The "Dollar A Dog" promotion will be back, featuring the Original Twins Dog, a limit of 2 per customer, and a stadium wide limit of 20,000 per game.
What a rip off... I have been working up to a dog per inning when they do the $1 dog promotion at Miller Park! Another strike against 'em.

Miller Park has Nathan's? Where?

I've taken to favoring the soy dog over hot dogs because they're so much less salty. But with the potato bar and Cactus League Nachos (and taco salads) near our seats, it's hard not to spring for the pricier food sometimes.

Jerome Christensen from Winona Daily News weighs in:

http://winonadailynews.co...f-8701-001cc4c03286.html

Our insatiable appetite for overpriced animal by-products will be tweaked, teased and titillated with not one, but four sausage products pitched to every segment of the ball park market.

There will be the original Twins Dog - aimed at those aging, but hardy fans who recall fondly the heat, sleet, rain and snow that made the old Met Stadium such a wonderful site for the Mall of America. The beer might have frozen in your cup, but the hot dogs were good.

Then there will be the Big Twins Dog - the replacement for the Dome Dog, which would have had to have been renamed anyway since there's no dome. I suppose they could have called it the Precipitation Pup, the Weather Wurst or the Frosty Frank, but they didn't.

The Dugout Dog and the Dinger Dog seem to be a bit more upscale - the kind of wiener that goes better with a Summit than a Hamms or a Grain Belt and is generally priced accordingly.

Best of all, they're all Minnesota wieners - maybe not made by Hormel, but not imported from the likes of Chicago or New York City. No siree bob. You go to watch the Twins get rained out and you'll munch a genuine Albert Lea-made Schweigert hot dog while you huddle under an overhang watching your seat get wet.

I think everybody wanted a roof on that stadium. I usually make it to a couple games at the dome every year (usually vs Brewers but not always) and I couldn't go to a game without having a Dome Dog. I have home-opener tiks for Target Field and am excited to see if the new dogs can compare, not to mention it'll just be cool to be at the first official game at the new stadium which I didn't get to do at Miller Park.

I must say for the 5 and a half games I went to at the Dome 4 1/2 Brewer games and one Badger Football game I must admit the dome dog was not that bad and I had it maybe three times!! I wouldn't go out of my way to get one or try and duplicate it and nor would I be upset if I went to a game and did not get one as I did do!! Nothing that I can remeber about it made it all that special!!

For one game I snuck in a bottle of secret stadium sauce and to Brewer fans at the game I seemed like god!! That bottle was brand new and was empty before the 4th inning even started!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived