Brewer Fanatic

The 2010 Wisconsin Spring/Summer/Fall Thread

adamb100

I was going to say, all the usual weather geeks must have been either outside watching (ahem, OWBC) or in their basements and not near the internets.

Dane County's warnings started about 2 1/2 hours ago and one part or another of the county has been under a tornado warning ever since. Just as the TV guys were saying that they thought the worst was over, another warning was issued for Iowa County, which should be headed to Madison in a bit if that cell holds together.

Honestly, I was kind of surprised to see Bob Lindmeier suggesting the worst was over when there was clearly more red to the west.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He just said the same thing...the tornadic threat has diminished. We'll see about that....

It really surprised me when the sirens went off. I didn't think that would happen today, especially where the storms were when they went off the first time.

I was just driving, and the roads were pretty insane. I'm very glad to be home. I talked to my mom and she said that Milwaukee had 7 inches of rain in 2 hours. That's nuts.

someone posted this on my facebook news feed:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs059.snc4/35301_413179853802_598213802_4844641_7627380_n.jpg

Looks like there was a tornado. This was around past 27th and ryan

He just said the same thing...the tornadic threat has diminished. We'll see about that....

It really surprised me when the sirens went off. I didn't think that would happen today, especially where the storms were when they went off the first time.

Yeah, I'm still kind of thinking I'll believe it when the red stuff to the west has passed.

The first set of sirens surprised me too. The weather radio at the library had just gone off for the tornado watch, and it was sunny here. Then the first warning was for northern Dane County, with the nearest city in the path of the storm being DeForest. Yet the sirens sounded in central Madison, which freaked out our security guard and had him evacuating us to the storm shelter. It was hard to convince patrons to do this.

Sounds like NE WI doesn't have it quite as bad, but I just spent an hour & a half playing Sisyphus with the water in the basement. Maybe I did some good, maybe not. Second time this month I've had to do that, and I'm sure there will be plenty more for me tomorrow as the groundwater continues to drain.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here was my route home last night courtesy of the rain:

I-94 to Hwy 100/Mayfair Rd to North Ave to N 92nd St to Meinecke Ave to N 91st St to Wright St back to N 92nd St to Lisbon Ave to N 100th St to Grantosa Ave and back to 92nd St yet again... Then took 92nd to Grantosa Ave to N 84th St to Sheridan Ave to Fond Du Lac Ave. Went SE down Fond Du Lac to Villard Ave, then went NE back onto Grantosa Ave again to get to Silver Spring. Stayed on Silver Spring to about 50th where I pulled a u-turn over the median to get back to N 57th St. Went north on 57th St to Carmen Ave to N 60th St to Mill Rd to N 68th St to Green Tree Rd to 84th St (where I saw what amounted to a lake in a stream just south of Noyes Park) back to Mill Rd to 91st. Then just took 91st to Bradley Rd and headed east on Bradley a few miles until I got to my neighborhood.

Took about 90 minutes, on top of a 3 hour drive from La Crosse just to get here. Just thankful I didn't have any water in my basement.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread has had a nice hiatus...but not anymore. There's a tornado warning for east central Dane County, southwestern Dodge and northeastern Jefferson. The radar makes it look like a small storm began to grow and intensify just after passing through Madison. It's headed right along the I-94 corridor, enough to make me wonder if the baseball gods think we have a Miller Park trip to make tonight.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You wouldn't think there'd be reason to post about a tornado watch for southwest/south central Wisconsin on October 25...yet here we are, under a watch until 6:00 AM. Clearly Mother Nature isn't interested in whether hawing gets any sleep tonight.

And this is the prelude for two days of high wind. Check out the extent of the wind advisories (for as long as the image lasts, at least):

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/special/severe_us_600x405.jpg

Community Moderator

Yep it got down to 955 mb in Minnesota. That would cause 110+ mph winds in a hurricane, but the winds are lower in mid-latitude storms because the pressure gradient is spread out over a larger area and friction from the land slows the wind down.

I think this image helps put it in context. The storm is much, much larger than a tiny little mesoscale hurricane.

Archived