Brewer Fanatic

Angel Guzman facing possible surgery

Chicago media is reporting that the Cubs "fear the worst" on Guzman. Bullpen depth was a glaring weakness for the Cubs with Guzman healthy. Remember they let Gregg (FA) and Heilman (traded) go. If he's lost for the year, they'll be hard pressed to find an adequate replacement (maybe David Weathers?). He was being counted on as an 8th inning guy. Guzman was very tough on the Brewers hitters last year. They went 1 for 14 with 6 K's.

It's hard to see the Cubs as serious contenders with the bullpen as presently constituted.

..or work on strengthening his shoulder over the next 4-6 weeks.

Does that ever actually work?? I hear the idea get thrown around a lot regarding ligament damage, but it never seems to end well.

Either the guy tries to do strengthening rehab for several weeks, realizes it's not going to work, and ends up having surgery anyway (and now they're several weeks behind in their recovery) -- or they actually do end up trying to play through it but are a shell of their former selves.

Does that ever actually work?? I hear the idea get thrown around a lot regarding ligament damage, but it never seems to end well.

Either the guy tries to do strengthening rehab for several weeks, realizes it's not going to work, and ends up having surgery anyway (and now they're several weeks behind in their recovery) -- or they actually do end up trying to play through it but are a shell of their former selves.

Yeah, it's not like Brewers fans have to look far to find examples of players who decided to chance avoiding surgery and then had to get it anyway.

I thought of mentioning that in my first post above, but decided to play it straight.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

No, it never seems like it works....though I'm sure it has.

The prospect of a lenghty rehab vs the small chance you can strengthen the ligaments and muscles around the injured one and be able to come back is a positive risk vs reward. Risk you're a couple weeks behind in a 18 month rehab, reward, can cone back for the season.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It worked for Counsell last season. He thought about having surgery in the Spring, but decided to play through it. Maybe not apples-to-apples, as he could continue to play with the injury. McGehee had a similar situation, and was able to postpone the surgury to the offseason. But you're right, most times you hear the phrase "or work on strengthening" it usually doesn't turn out well.

A torn ligament in the pitching shoulder doesn't sound like something you could play through. Sucks for him, and as JohnBriggs started out with, it'll be hard for the Cubs to compete when they're starting the season with a tattered 'pen. With the sale of the team, and the terrible contracts they have out there, you have to wonder how much money they'll have to sign someone like Weathers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Is there any word on Lilly? Watching their ST game on Sunday, I think I heard Lou mention that he may be out until mid-May.

Ted Lilly had a pretty bad virus that left him weak, and not able to really rehab. right now he looks to be out til at least may.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived