Brewer Fanatic

Giants' plunking of Fielder (March 4, first ST game)

I'm a bit (just a bit) surprised there hasn't been a dedicated thread about this--it was somewhat big news all afternoon here in SF on sports talk radio and the Chronicle's website.

I still say the Giants were a bit too overly-sensitive about the bowling pin celebration and that Giants' fans celebrating the plunking and crowing about "traditionalism and class" after worshipping a self-aggrandizing roids-freak for almost two decades is a joke, but at the same time I'm glad it happened so everyone can move on. Still, I hope that Prince really hammers them this year and keeps being an entertaining player just to remain deeply in their craw.

The most interesting bit of fallout I heard today though was this, from Giants' beat writer Henry Schulman in his post-game notes:

Inglett was the poor kid whom Brewers manager Ken Macha sent to first base to run for Prince Fielder, only to have Fielder wave him back. That showed not only who runs the Brewers (hint: It's not Macha), but also suggests (pure speculation on my part) that Fielder was hoping he might be able to take out an infielder or catcher on a close play in retaliation for Barry Zito plunking him.

Inglett wound up running for the next better, Casey McGehee.

Wow--pretty heavy aspersions cast.

(Edited title so no one would think Prince was plunked after March 4 - hawing)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont understand the big deal about this at all. Why I thought it was a pretty cool homerun celebration, I can see why they were upset. It was show boating and that is what happens when someone show boats. I can guarantee most people that are upset about this would be upset if roles were reversed. Its also not like Zito threw at his head or anything.

I'm a bit (just a bit) surprised there hasn't been a dedicated thread about this--it was somewhat big news all afternoon here in SF on sports talk radio and the Chronicle's website.

There's not a thread about it because nobody in Milwaukee thinks it's a big deal. If the Giants want to cry about it and bean a player with a pitcher who's lucky to top 86 on a good day, more power to them.

I'm not sure what to make of the Inglett thing. It certainly doesn't look good if he was actually supposed to pinch run for Fielder, and Prince sent him back.

As far as the bean ball thing, I can't believe the Giants were still even thinking about it. The whole thing was dumb and I hope it's "settled" now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The "speculation" just ticks me off: why use Occam's Razor and surmise the likeliest: that the location and much-mocked speed of Zito's fastball didn't actually hurt him, and rather than coming out in the 1st without an AB in the first ST game of the year, Fielder waved him off, when you can "speculate" that Prince is a heavy with violent intentions swinging his weight around the organization?

They did?!?!?! Oh man, I missed it.

Did the Brewers do the bowling pin celebration in San Fran, in front of their fans? No they didn't, did they.

That's lame. Some people need to get over themselves.

Just for that, I hope they come up with an even better walk off HR celebration this year.

The "speculation" just ticks me off: why use Occam's Razor and surmise the likeliest: that the location and much-mocked speed of Zito's fastball didn't actually hurt him, and rather than coming out in the 1st without an AB in the first ST game of the year, Fielder waved him off, when you can "speculate" that Prince is a heavy with violent intentions swinging his weight around the organization?

Agreed. Who wrote that? He has no business speculating on that at all.

This sensitivity to any form of celebration is becoming absurd, and quite frankly is already absurd, to say the least. The Cardinals crying over the Brewers untucking their jersey's after a win; the Giants holding a grudge over the offseason because the Brewers celebrated a walk off home run on their own home field. It's just ridiculous. If you don't like it, win the game, or don't give up a walk off homerun.
Follow me on Twitter

I think the plunking was just a diversion. Everyone is going to think that Giants are satisfied that they got their payback, but in reality, that was the fake beaning. Prince will now be nice and comfortable in the batter's box the first time the Brewers face the Giants, "knowing" nothing will happen. Then BAM! A 97 MPH gasser to the ribs!

sbnation noticed, but they don't add much to the discussion.

Edit: typo

Seeing that again, I don't care what anyone thinks, that was freaking awesome. And I would think the same thing if any team other than the Cubs or Cards did it. They are all just jealous they didn't think of it first.

One of these days Prince is going to hurt somebody. I don't know why these pitchers throw at him. Here's to Prince moon walking around the bases then doing the worm across home plate next time we play the giants though.

I think the plunking was just a diversion. Everyone is going to think that Giants are satisfied that they got their payback, but in reality, that was the fake beaning. Prince will now be nice and comfortable in the batter's box the first time the Brewers face the Giants, "knowing" nothing will happen. Then BAM! A 97 MPH gasser to the ribs!
If that does happen, I think he'll be fully justified in charging the mound and doing some damage to whoever that unlucky pitcher is.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If this does happen, I fully expect Prince to charge that pitcher and give him what he deserves.

I think this entire issue is way overblown. The Giants seem like babies over this. It was a team celebration after a extra inning walk off HR win. Let them do whatever they want. The Giants act as if Prince and the team were pointing back at them and yelling when they did this.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Yeah, I keep going back to how it was a win at HOME. If it had happened in San Francisco, then I think the Giants would be fully justified in being ticked off. But it happened at Miller Park after a Brewers win, and like you said, they weren't taunting the Giants or anything like that.

As I said earlier, I hope this whole matter is settled and that the Giants just forget about it now. This has to have been one of the lamer baseball "feuds" in recent memory.

I'm kind of torn on this one. I love the tradition of the little things in baseball like teaching respect with payback pitches. However this is the weakest thing I've ever seen, hitting a guy in spring training. Not cool. I'm not sure where I sit on the whole celebration, I mean it was awesome and I loved it and the more I think about it they did not do anything towards the giants. So should it be fine? I started to wonder how I'd feel if I was in the Giants dugout, I probably would have plunked a guy the next day if they played but not spring training. I also wonder could that have started a newer trend? Celebrations like guys do in the NFL? Just a thought, how would you feel about that if a guy hits a home run and did things NFL end zone style? Lambeau leaps, dancing, pulling cell phones out from underneath home plate?

Mike Golic just went off on the Giants and Zito on "Mike & Mike in the Morning." It was great. He made sure to point out that it was the entire Brewers team that was in on the celebration, so the Giants should really plunk every player if they want payback.

Here's what bothers me. The celebration was Fielder making fun of himself and his size. Maybe because the Giants are from SF, where earthquakes have history, that they were sensitive to Fielder setting off a "quake" by jumping on home plate and thought it was specifically aimed at San Francisco? But come on, it was done in the Brewer's home stadium to entertain Brewer fans when the Giants should have been off the field anyway.

Here's what bothers me. The celebration was Fielder making fun of himself and his size.

I agree, Briggs -- the self-deprecating aspect is what I appreciated the most. It's what made it funny, at least to me.

"They have to do what they have to do. Whatever," he said. "I didn't see anything coming, but they have to do what they have to do. It's not going to take it away. It's chronicled. ... It is what it is. I hit the home run. Hit me. If that's what you've got to do, then that's what you've got to do."

Prince Fielder rules

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here's what bothers me. The celebration was Fielder making fun of himself and his size. Maybe because the Giants are from SF, where earthquakes have history, that they were sensitive to Fielder setting off a "quake" by jumping on home plate and thought it was specifically aimed at San Francisco? But come on, it was done in the Brewer's home stadium to entertain Brewer fans when the Giants should have been off the field anyway.
It doesnt matter where it takes place. Plus the Giants are still going to be on the field/dugout when it is going on. This is what happens when people show boat in baseball. I liked the celebration but figured he would get it someday. Just like the pitcher from the Pirates that beaned Braun last year....the Brewers took their sweat time in getting them back. Players dont forget what happened.

Archived