Brewer Fanatic

WIAA basketball tournament

paul253
Is anyone following this at all? Predictions? In D1 Hamilton, Racine Park and Madison Memorial appear to me to be the teams to beat. I thought Milwaukee Washington was a sleeper, but apparently two of their best players just got suspended for going after the referees after their last game. Look out for Milwaukee King too. Anyone here have any thoughts on the tournament, boys or girls?

I'm glad the girls' tournament is finally back where it belongs, in the Kohl Center, and am looking forward to catching a semifinal session there later this month.

I understand why the WIAA experimented with the Alliant Energy Center, but having them play at the Coliseum did little more than send the message, "You're second-rate." I'm not looking to hate on the Coliseum, but for basketball the facility just does not measure up well to the Kohl Center.

I'll hope for the best, as always, for my Monroe Cheesemakers, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough to make overall predictions.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm really hoping to see Madison Memorial and Milwaukee Hamilton in the finals in D1. Loads of D1 talent on those two teams, and I honestly think they are the two best teams. I have never been a fan of how the tournament is set up as a lot of times the best teams end up playing each other in the quarterfinals, or even in the sectionals. But I think it could work out this year.

Arrowhead boys are in state for only the third time ever and are only sending their second boy's basketball player ever to a Division I school (Ben Mills, Boise State).
Boise St. just fired their head coach and now several west-coast teams have begun recruiting Mills again. Wishoops.net did an article a week or two ago about it and it sounds like he can still change his mind. (It implied that he was going to back out of his commitment) He had a great senior season!

Memorial looked really, really good today. We will see what happens

Hawing, I have a bit of inside data on that one. I understand your hate of the Alliant for basketball (I'm with you there). Part of the idea was to keep the GBB on the same weekend, now that the WIAA and the girl's coaches have been more willing to move the date, it made the Kohl Center more of an option. Also, the other issue was the size of the crowds of for the some of sessions (that didn't bother me, but some thought it hurt the environment).

Regardless, I'm pleased the girls are back at the Kohl too, but I don't think the move was a slap at the girls, but more an attempt to just try something different.

I don't think the move was a slap at the girls, but more an attempt to just try something different.
Oh, agreed. There was certainly value to finding a venue that would not mess up the girls' season schedule, and wouldn't have them not knowing until the UW hockey and basketball seasons were almost over whether there was room for them to play on campus or not. As a bonus, parking was not a problem at the Alliant Center (except for interested local onlookers who could walk to the Kohl Center for free but had to pay to park at the Alliant...but I know I'm in the minority on that issue).

I wasn't looking to imply that it was intended as a slap, but in the end the girls were playing in a second rate facility. The Alliant folks did their best to make it hospitable, but the first time I gave the facility a chance for girls' basketball, the phrase "silk purse out of a sow's ear" kept coming to my mind.

Anyway, after Saturday's sectional finals the brewerfan.net alma mater challenge will be over, and either my school (Monroe) or Brian the Automator's (Union Grove) will be in the girls' D-2 semifinal. Go Cheese!

My hometown team Clayton made it to State in Division 4 (NW sectional) for the 3rd time in 10 years but fell by one point in an exciting game to Green Bay New Lutheran. They made it interesting, hitting 4 three pointers in the last two minutes to draw it close.

Nice to see our little school (town population: 500) maintain such a great program. I played on the 2000 team that went to state my senior year where we lost in the semi-final to Wausakee. Jim Tracy went nuts scoring something like 29 points against us.

My hometown team Clayton made it to State in Division 4 (NW sectional) for the 3rd time in 10 years but fell by one point in an exciting game to Green Bay New Lutheran. They made it interesting, hitting 4 three pointers in the last two minutes to draw it close.
Oh, I was rooting for Clayton yesterday, watching from home (basically because of my not necessarily fair public-school bias). That was a tough loss - though at least it was more interesting to watch than the various other beatdown blowouts of the day.

Gotta root for MUHS, even if most everyone I talk with has been upset with the coach for a number of years. When it comes down to it, I support the school that has helped give me so many opportunities. Sometimes I forget about things, but recently a friend with a PHD reminded me of why--to him--there is only one high school in Wisconsin to send a son to.

I've never understood the private school resentment among public schools. Here in AZ, folks constantly try to bash Brophy, Xavier, St. Mary's, and Notre Dame Prep. They wrongly accuse private schools of recruiting, whereas the public schools are actively doing so. I teach in a public school and was educated by both private and public schools. The only thing that differentiates them for me is that at private schools, the students and parents--on the whole--buy into the school community at a much higher rate. I get disappointed that the HS I teach in has no school spirit. I see lots of teachers/parents that are either pro-athletics or pro-academics. I fail to understand why things can't be like they were at MUHS (and presumably most private schools) where both academics and athletics were a priority.

Anyways, best of luck to all schools in this year's tourny.

My alma mater Kiel made an improbable run to state but sadly bowed out today with their loss to Northwestern. The high school sold 3500 tickets, which is pretty good considering the city has 3400 people.

i saw my old school Hamilton lost the other day

that sucks but whatever

would of been nice if they did this when I was there tho lol they won more this season than the whole time I was there

trwi7 must be happy with tonight's D-1 result; maybe too happy to post here tonight. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hartland Arrowhead was down by 8 at the half, outscored Madison Memorial 26-7 in the third quarter, and went on to win by 21. That's quite a swing. At least it resulted in a surprise in one of the boys' championships.

Meanwhile, I look forward to Friday's girls' tournament action: not only Monroe in D-2 but Cuba City (employer of Mrs. bensheeps) in D-3. My March Madness.

I watched the game, needless to say I was shocked. Didn't think they could stop Memorial, a ton of talent, a ton of experience and I figured with the game being in Madison, more fans at the game.

I didn't post because after the game I watched the end of the Admirals game, the end of the Coyotes game and the end of the Bucks game. All won. Good sports night. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

i was at the entire tournament. Madison Memorial totally got worked over by Arrowhead. Perhaps too cocky, Blue/Creamer didnt play well at all and the TJ Bray kid from Catholic Memorial is a great basketball player, total deserving of the title, Mr. Basketball.

I watched the second half on tv. I've never seen a team shoot like Arrowhead did in that half. I was shocked. Madison Memorial is a good, good team, and Arrowhead outscored them by something like 27 points is one half. Amazing. On a side note, was this MM's fourth straight Division 1 title game?

Archived