Brewer Fanatic

Austin or Boise?

GAME05
The last time I was in Austin (last summer for Austin City Limits) they had just broken out of an ungodly heatwave. My memory could be failing me, but I believe that they had just had 70 days in a row where the temperature broke 100 degrees. 2009 was supposed to be an anomaly but that scares the bejeebus out of me. Once things get passed about 85 it is pretty miserable as far as I'm concerned. I believe that it can be fairly humid as well. Something to consider...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Senator....last summer was crazy. We had a lot of heat....but that's not typical. But then again, Dallas had the most snow they've had in a winter this year...take that for what it's worth. I've lived in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, and now Texas, and by far, I love living in Texas and don't ever plan on moving!

There is nothing to do in Texas outside of Austin.
I assume you've never been.
Also, if you are going to use that as a standard, I'd like to see the list of things to do in Idaho outside of Boise.
Actually I did provide a list of things to do outside of Boise and that list pertained specifically to the original poster's stated interests ("more of an outdoors person", hiking, kayaking). If he hadn't stated interest in these outdoor activities I wouldn't have recommended Boise over Austin. What do you need me to do provide a list of mountains and rivers in Idaho or provide links to pictures? I have no doubt that Austin is a cool place, perhaps even too cool, but I still think the Boise area will be more satisfying to a person with a stated interest in the outdoors.

Actually I did provide a list of things to do outside of Boise and that list pertained specifically to the original poster's stated interests ("more of an outdoors person", hiking, kayaking). If he hadn't stated interest in these outdoor activities I wouldn't have recommended Boise over Austin. What do you need me to do provide a list of mountains and rivers in Idaho or provide links to pictures? I have no doubt that Austin is a cool place, perhaps even too cool, but I still think the Boise area will be more satisfying to a person with a stated interest in the outdoors.
Basically, TX has everything but snow, so as long as he's not looking for skiing, sledding, or skating, it's here. There are tons of lakes near Austin, and about 30-45 minutes west of Austin is Hill Country, which has tons of bike trails with amazing views. The lower Colorado river goes right through Austin for kayaking, though there are plenty of other options as well.

Tons of Outdoor Stuff

Basically, TX has everything but snow, so as long as he's not looking for skiing, sledding, or skating, it's here. There are tons of lakes near Austin, and about 30-45 minutes west of Austin is Hill Country, which has tons of bike trails with amazing views. The lower Colorado river goes right through Austin for kayaking, though there are plenty of other options as well.

Yes, one can hike, bicycle and kayak in every single state in the nation. Obviously there are outdoor activities to be had in Texas, but compared to other states I don't think Texas would be ranked as remarkable, not above average. Comparatively, Idaho is known to have some of the best mountain and park areas in the country for fishing, camping, hiking, kayaking, skiing, and practically all things outdoors. And compared to other states in the Northwest, Idaho is still very cheap while it has similar or better offerings. I'm glad you like Austin and Texas so much, but there is no way it compares to Idaho when it comes to outdoors, just like Boise does not compare to Austin when it comes to nightlife. Just because one or the other is better it's not like either place is completely lacking in either outdoor activity or nightlife. Weighing it all out, I enthusiastically recommend Boise.

Yes, one can hike, bicycle and kayak in every single state in the nation.
But can it be done in November or January??? Can be done here.
Actually the winters in Southern Idaho are not that cold, nothing compared to Wisconsin. Hiking would be fine pretty much all year. Bicycling would be brisk but doable. You would want to avoid kayaking in the winter. However I am pretty sure that a kayaking enthusiast would rather be surrounded by the best kayaking rivers for six months a year than whatever Texas has to offer for a whole year. Moreover, I am pretty sure that most outdoor enthusiasts living in the Rocky Mountains or out West welcome the winter because this is when they get to go skiing or snowboarding. They have some of the best ski resorts in the country in Idaho, such as Sun Valley and Tamarack Mountain. They also have lesser known mountains that are more affordable but also outstanding, like Schweitzer Mountain and Bogus Basin just outside Boise. I think it's great that you love your home state of Texas so much, but to suggest that the outdoor activities in Texas are anywhere near comparable to Idaho seems insane to me. I know tons of people who travel or move to the Rocky Mountain region, including Idaho, primarily because of their love for outdoor adventure. Never in my life have I heard of anyone moving or even traveling to Texas for outdoor adventure. And using a video of Green Acres to characterize all of Idaho is about as fair as if I were to say that George W Bush summarizes all of Texas.

well, as it is now, i think i'm 75% on Boise. It'd be too expensive for me to spend a month in both places before I decided, but I could very well move to Austin if I can't find work in Boise after four months or so.

The Green Acres clip actually helps as a somewhat-exaggerated version of something I'd been thinking about. I didn't really go downtown when I lived in Denver, and I'm rarely seen in downtown Greensboro now. I've read downtown Boise has a lot beyond the typical bar, and it's that mid-sized city that I slightly favour. I sometimes forget that I'm not big on huge crowds, which probably minimizes Austin's benefits.

Austin's superior single-people percentage is attractive to me, but maybe I shouldn't weigh that as heavily as I have been. Not that I want to move to a place similar to Winston-Salem (horrible if you're a single person), but Boise should have more like-minded people (outdoors-wise) and it's not exactly bereft of single people (though 33 is too old for the college crowd). So maybe quality over quantity would be the better way to go.

although all said and done, i'd love an excuse to move back to Greensboro, but she hasn't returned that phone call;)

I know I'm late to the game, but will just add my $.02, although you can decide if it's worth it. I lived in Boise for about a year, and loved it. I only left to be closer to home. Downtown is much better than I expected in terms of going out. There are a lot of fun bars, and more single women than I was expecting. Boise is surprisingly large (around 500,000 in the whole area) and has all the amenities one would normally need. Also if I hadn't moved there from Alaska I would have been shocked by the amount of outdoor activities. The foothills to the Rockies are literally in the city limits, with some amazing hikes in town. Bogus Basin is very nice skiing, and even has lights (a rarity out west), and the Boise River cuts through town and is good for flat water kayaking and rafting, the Snake River nearby offers some amazing whitewater rafting and kayaking if you want to give it a try. My buddy and I went down it on glorified surfboards at one point, but through a section with nothing more than Class III rapids. I don't know much about Austin, but have to imagine it's a great city, I just doubt it offers the range of outdoor activities as close to town as does Boise. Austin probably has a better nightlife, but again, Boise's is pretty good in it's own right. If you have any questions feel free to message me, I would be happy to help.

I would say Austin by a mile, but I have never been to Boise so I can't compare the two. I lived in New Braunfels for a few years, which is about halfway between Austin and San Antonio, and it is hard to beat that area. Austin is very liberal compared to the rest of the state, but you can be a conservative and still have plenty of fun. I am from the Houston area originally and live there now, so I guess I am used to the humidity factor.

As far as Texas not having anything to do, I couldn't disagree more. Unless you are wanting to do something in the snow, there is plenty to do. Big Bend National Park has the mountains, the coast has beaches and fishing, the central has the Hill Country, etc. 4 of the largest cities in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin, yet still have plenty of space for small town living. Not to mention the economy didn't take the hit most of the country did, and there is also no state income tax.

I travel quite a bit, and while there are other places I enjoy to visit I could never see myself living anywhere else. I just spent the last 3 months working in Wyoming out in the middle of nowhere, and I just can't get used to that kind of weather (-41 was the worst I saw). I will take 100 degrees everyday before I want to do that again...

• 3 weeks later...
I live in Austin. Moved here from Madison two years ago. If I can help it, I am never leaving (only family situations could change that). I find flaws in every other city. Besides the three month heatwave, I have found no flaws here.

I've lived in Austin for 12 years now. That would be my vote! The toll roads have fixed a lot of the traffic. The summers do drag on a little bit, but last year was by far the worst that I remember. It is great for almost everything except pro sports, but for that fix I just have DirecTV. If you like to golf, you could do that everyday if you wish.

The double decker highway in Austin is the work of the devil. THE DEVIL!
If you're on the top deck, it goes a bit smoother, but the lower deck is crazy with the on-ramps and off-ramps. I-37 in downtown San Antonio does the same thing, but it's not as bad. The biggest problem is that Austin didn't really plan roads well as it grew.

• 2 weeks later...

i emailed a random person in the Boise Parks and Recreation department, just asking for a general assessment of the job scene there for that profession. her response: "I don't expect any full-time openings in the next three years."

yikes. but then Greensboro (where i live now) is in the same boat with budget cuts. waiting reply on a similar email to Austin's park and rec department (although i could always work at a YMCA, too).

Boise could very well be the most perfect city in the world for me, but if there isn't a job, that kinda ends it. although i'm pretty well expecting to spend a year or so working as a salesman at an REI before i find anything.

I'm just going on basic info - but if the one thing you said about Wisconsin was that you're not a fan of the winters, I would think Boise would not be an improvement in that area. I mean, I know it's not Alaska, but since that seems to be important to you..

Also, I lived in Louisiana for 6 years and spent a lot of time in Texas and the thing you have to know is that you will never meet folks more fiercely proud of where they're from. For me, that got old and wearing after a while. It struck me as a little close-minded and if you've already moved from WI to Greensboro and are looking at another cross-country move, that sort of mentality might not go well with you. It goes deeper than a surface thing to where you find people unwilling to understand or consider living elsewhere. I'm making some generalizations, and it's a bit difficult to explain, but that sort of unwillingness to accept that there are bigger and better things to see that was hard for me. I felt like folks wouldn't even consider ideas or listen to you because it was implausible to them that you might want to be elsewhere. It kind of permeated things.

God blessed Texas with His own hand

Brought down angels from the promised land

Gave 'em a place where they could dance

If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance

I've been sent to spread the message

God blessed Texas

God blessed Texas with His own hand

Brought down angels from the promised land

Gave 'em a place where they could dance

If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance

I've been sent to spread the message

God blessed Texas

AMEN!!!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for all the advice, everyone. guess i wanted to give an update on the situation. i hadn't been pressing over the question then because i figured things would play out and make the decision easier, and that's happened--like it always does.

I contacted a random person in the Parks&Rec Department of Boise (about to graduate into that field) and the girl said "I don't expect any full-time openings for the next three years." I was really leaning on choosing Boise, but that mostly made my decision right there. not to mention my friend there, who i was hoping to be able to hang out with, will be having his first kid in a few months, which means he's never going to have the opportunity to bum around downtown with me.

so i think i've got my plan down. i'm heading to Denver to help the brother move in (I also used to live there), will find some work to save money and then head to Austin. i'm sure i'll look for work in Denver, too.

Archived