Brewer Fanatic

Time Warner or Uverse

NievesNoNO

I'm in the Green Bay area and am looking to get cable/dish. I haven't had it for 6-7 years. Sad, I know. I'm interested in Internet and TV. From my research it looks like TW is cheaper by about $20/month for similar programing and with faster Internet. By similar programing I really only mean FSN and ESPN http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Anybody feel like talking me into one or the other? Quality, customer service experiences, etc.

Thanks.

I wouldn't very good customer service from either. A lot goes into this, as every case is different. Depends how many TVs you have, how many of those you want in HD, how many you want to DVR from, etc. Then you get into comparing packages with the channels you want, speed of internet access, etc.

I have had TWC for years, and really wanted to find a good reason to switch to Uverse. But when I added everything up, it was about the same cost, so why change my email address and go through all the hassle of installation. We have 7 TVs, and with TWC you don't need any boxes. (Well, I have one anyhow to get HD on the main TV) Plus, if I remember right, you had to buy a sports package or some other tier to get FSN.

I know ATT gives you free wireless internet, not sure if TWC does or not. If you like watching Marquette games, as well as some HS basketball games, TWC has its own little sports channel that shows a lot of those games. Equipment wise, I think ATT is better. I honestly think its a horse a piece. I was all happy when I moved into an area where ATT was available because I thought I could save a bunch of money, but I don't. I don't switch to Time Warner mainly because of the free wireless internet and I don't want to go through the hassle of switching.

I actually had a really good experience with my Time Warner customer service. But it was just one incident, and I'm just one guy.

I don't have cable, but I do use Time Warner internet and it always works great. They do not, however, give you free wireless. You pay an extra fee at installation. But you can order a comparable wireless router cheaper online.

I had but TWC and Charter cable and have also had Uverse. In my experience ATT's customer service for both phone and TV has been awful not to mention there billing is never right. With Uverse you do have to pay for each cable box which with cable you can just hook up the TV and get expanded basic. I also noticed with Uverse the HD picture quality wasn't as clear I believe they compress the signal more then cable does.

Thanks for the input. Right now I'm leaning towards TW, as all the wiring is all ready in the house. I haven't personally had any negative experiences with them, although I haven't needed them much besides the install. Seems like a less risky proposition at this point. Hopefully the faster internet speed will allow a better mlbtv experience if I choose to go that route.

i have u-verse. i think their customer service is a million times better than TWC, which i had for about 4-5 years. i have had u-verse for almost 2 years now.

i have 2 HD receivers, 1 with DVR. i have an upgraded internet than the basic internet that At&t offers; and it all comes out to about the same cost as what i had with TWC.

to me, the picture quality with U-V is better than TW, especially on SD channels.

when it comes to differences in channel options, TW has the sports channel that shows some local games, but U-V has the NFL network, and to me, NFL network trumps the time warner sports channel .

another thing to note is that no matter what you have set up in the house when it comes to cable tv, the u-verse install process is a breeze. i have had it put in at 2 different places, and the set up took very little time.

i go with time warner for the only reason that most of the marquette games are on sports 32 which is not available on u-verse. The biggest negative that i can find with time warner is i'm only allowed to dvr 2 shors at a time and u-verse lets you do 4.

I would like to add that Time Warner Cable is the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working with in my life. I have had cable off and on with them over the past 10 years and they can be some of the most inept, rude, and unhelpful customer service reps ever.

My latest example was when I moved this past fall... our new building provides basic cable and internet for free/included in the rent. So I was very happy that I finally had Time Warner out of my life. Until I realized that I can't live with basic cable on my HDTV... I needed to have HD again.

So I decided to call Time Warner every other day for about 2 weeks to get a quote on what the price would be to upgrade to HD/Digital Cable. Every single time I called the quote was different. I realize rates change but they don't change that often. This company is awful and if I could avoid them I would. I have never had the chance to try UVerse.

Just read the replies, and it's pretty obvious customer service is a unique experience for each of us. Pretty clear neither company is great or terrible overall in customer service. Heck, I've had TWC for (I think) 14 years and have never had service interuption, problems with my bills, etc. The few times I've had to call about something, they were prompt and polite. Both are very large large companies, and it's like spinning the roulette wheel when it comes to customer service.

TW Sports channel trumps NFL Network for me solely because of all the Marquette games. I didn't even realize UV didn't have MLB Network, that wouldn't fly with me either. Also, UV may have 4 HD streams, but I've seen that in person at a friend's house and the picture quality definitely degrades when you do that.

I know I pay a lot for my services, so I really want UV or anyone to offer a deal that fits my needs and saves me money.

a lot of the MU games are on ESPN U. i have only ran into a few instances where i couldn't get the game this year, but maybe there are more than i've realized.

on a side note, listening to the radio to follow a MU game that's not on TV is out of the question because Homer and Mac on 540am radio is the absolute, without-a-doubt WORST announcing crew i have ever heard in my entire life.

i will follow a game on my cell phone on 30 second refresh before i will listen to those two call a game. UGH

Time Warner has terrible customer service. That is for sure, I have not had a good experience since I got Time Warner in August. Also my internet occasionally just goes out for no reason in the AM but then is up and fine by the time I get home from work in the PM. Honestly I think I would switch to AT+T, but three things are holding me back. First it's like a 2 week or more wait to get AT+T out to setup your stuff. Second TWC has Sports 32 which is a great channel for all things WI sports and third TWC has MLB Network. So even though they have their issues I will probably stick it out with them.

I will say, I NEVER had issues with Charter when I had them for cable/internet when I lived in an area where they were the provider. Great service, good channel and no real issues with cable or internet outages.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived