Brewer Fanatic

Ebay question

Houlie24x

I sold a textbook on ebay about a month ago. The guy had no feedback at the time and I started to get a little worried about it until he paid about 10 days after the auction ended. I sent the book out the morning after he paid. 3 weeks later he sends message telling me that he never got the book. I have made over 200 transactions on ebay and plenty of other between here, amazon, ect. and never once lost anything in the mail. I know it happens, but it seems odd that he would wait 3 weeks to tell me the book hasn't arrived and it doesn't help that he hasn't made any transactions on that account before.

My question is, if he files a complaint through ebay or paypal, will they take the money back from me? I threw the receipt away shortly before he contacted me, because I figured the auction was well over with and that he got his book. Would just a receipt been enough anyways? He didn't get delivery confirmation or insurance either. If ebay/paypal are going to take my money back anyways, I figure I would be better off giving him a refund and avoiding the negative feedback.

Unless your item is something very cheap- or in other words, something you can afford to lose, I think it's a good idea to get Delivery Confirmation for 80 cents on everything that you sell. If you cannot provide proof of delivery, eBay/Paypal will always side with the buyer. Too many losers/scammers out there.

Houlie - I would hold off on giving him a refund. My guess is that he received the book and it wasn't required/needed for his class so he decided that he didn't want to pay for it. Let him go through eBay to get the refund. Negative feedback doesn't matter much.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

What's the time limit someone has on disputing a transaction? 30 days?

That's probably right. Paypal will hold money on tickets for 30 days if you don't get delivery confirmation, which in itself is silly, because you just have to have the delivery service confirm it was delivered, which just confirms I sent something, not that I sent what the seller bought.

Yeah...I think they will ask for your "side" of the story. I would just note he waited 10 days to pay, and then three weeks to say he didn't receive it. I wouldn't do the refund just on principle. If they give the money back from your account, so be it. One negative feedback isn't going to kill you.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He opened a case through ebay today. I sold this book to him almost 2 months ago. Seems odd that he wouldn't care until now. I've gone 12 years without getting negative feedback too. Oh well, it was a nice run.

One thing I've learned to do, if you want to keep the 100% rating, is immediately send out a false package with nothing in it, but get delivery confirmation on it. It's probably too late now that it's two months later; but it's something to remember in the future.

I was selling a bunch of those Xbox Live subscription cards on eBay over the summer, and was just emailing the buyers the redemption codes after payment; well a lot of them tried to take advantage of me by using the code and then filing a complaint with Paypal and/or eBay. I wasn't about to let that happen so I would send an empty box with delivery confirmation immediately after receiving a complaint so I had a tracking number and was thus covered by Paypal/Ebay. It's an unnecessary expense that shouldn't have had to be incurred if these guys weren't jerks; but at least I got to keep my money from the actual sale.

Archived