Brewer Fanatic

Yovani Gallardo's injury 2008

paul253

I was thinking the other about how one injury in 2008 completely changed the direction of the franchise.

When Gallardo went down against Chicago early on in the season, he was pretty much done for the season. The Brewers went on to play amazing ball the first half with Ben Sheets as the ace, then of course traded for Sabathia and made the playoffs. I was thinking though about what would have happened had Gallardo not gotten hurt. Obviously there are a lot of assumptions, but I think what was most likely to have occurred is this. The Brewers would have had basically two aces in Sheets and Gallardo and would have played at least at the same winning %, if not better. They would have really had no need to trade for Sabathia, therefore eliminating probably one of the most significant trades in franchise history. Even with Sheets getting hurt, it's unknown if Melvin would have given up so much since Sheets got hurt later on in the season and if he traded for Sabathia in response to Sheets getting hurt, Sabathia wouldn't have played Milwaukee as long as he did. Anyway, with no trade happening, LaPorta and Brantley would still be in Milwaukee, most likely. A spot would have had to be opened for LaPorta, so either Fielder would have been traded or more likely Hart would be gone and LaPorta would be in RF. Likewise for Brantley. I don't know if they would have given Brantley CF last season, but he probably would have gotten it this year since Melvin wasn't going to pick up Cameron's contract. That of course means we wouldn't have traded JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez, instead getting pitching, meaning Doug Davis probably wouldn't have been signed.

So to sum up, if Yovani Gallardo did not get injured in 2008, I believe this year's starting outfield would be Braun, Brantley, and LaPorta. No Sabathia. Hart would be gone. It's weird how one injury can have such a long lasting affect on an organization.

Edit: Subject spelling

Gallardo would have been shut down well before the end of the season and may not have pitched in the playoffs at all. So I don't think it's as easy as if Gallardo gets hurt we don't trade for Sabathia. Melvin probably would have traded for a lesser starting pitcher (Wolf perhaps) to make up for Gallardo's lost innings at the end of the year.

I don't know about that. Look at how many innings he pitched last season. Also, you don't shut down your second best pitcher in the middle of a pennant race. He may have added a piece here or there but I don't think it would have risen to the level of trading your top prospect, plus another top 10 prospect. I still think at the very least Laporta would still be here, and very possibly Brantley.

Why do you think that? He had switched to rightfield. Why would they have switched his position if they didn't plan on ever having him play in Milwaukee? I think its more likely that Corey Hart would have been traded.

I agree with you Paul. Gallardo really started a domino effect. Since we're playing the what if game, can you imagine if he'd have stayed healthy and Melvin would have still traded for CC? Just dreaming.

I think Melvin would have pursued the Sabathia trade regardless of Gallardo's injury. When you're on the verge of making the playoffs, and a premier player is available who you have the right pieces to get, you do it. Sheets + Gallardo + Sabathia would have been absolutely legendary.

You got me thinking, though. Which would be better, our legendary half a season of CC, or six solid seasons of LaPorta/Brantley. I think for the franchise at the time, the excitement generated from CC was worth risking the future for.

If Gallardo is healthy, Sheets stays healthy and they got CC. My goodness, I really believe we could have won the whole thing in 2008. Not saying it was a lock, but I would take that starting 3 in a playoff series any day.

I think it's very possible they would have at least made the NLCS. The World Series isn't crazy to think about, either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Because he isn't a RFer and the Brewers would be looking for a Sheets replacement.

Are you referring to Sheets injury? His injury came later along. Didn't Melvin really want to make the deal when he did because of all the extra starts he got out of Sabathia? He may not have been willing to give up what Cleveland was asking for if it was a month later. And even more so if his second best pitcher was still pitching.

I believe that with Yo, we win the division.
I doubt it. The Cubs won the division with 100 wins. Gallardo may have pushed us to 92. Then there is the fact that if we were doing that well, CC probably doesn't start every 4th day so that knocks us back down to 90.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived