Brewer Fanatic

Spring Rotation Set

PrinceEatMeat

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/02/spring_rotation_set.html

This almost seems like they have Suppan set up for the 4 spot unless he does really bad in spring, which I don't like. Seems to me that it's set up to be between Bush and Parra for the last spot.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think you are reading things into this that aren't there.

Why would you think that? People thought we were reading too much into it last year when the rotation was set for spring and Suppan was scheduled to start opening day and that turned out to be right.

Macha said Gallardo would not be opening day starter in Feb of 2009. He also said that there were open dates where they could realign things. Last year we went into the season with the rotation set and no competition so it is hardly comperable. The fact that Parra and Bush are starting 1 day earlier than Suppan doesn't in any way suggest that Suppan has a leg up on them, each of Suppan, Bush, Parra and Narveson can easily be set up to become the 4th or 5th starter given the way the spring rotation is set up right now.

I have no confidence in the ability of this regime to give Suppan a DFA on March 30 if deserved. I would bet a significant chunk of change that he will be in the rotation to start the season no matter how poorly he pitches in spring training. Macha will justify it by describing how spring games are for vets to work on new things. Meanwhile, Villanueva will probably be DFA'd for walking 2 consecutive batters in a split squad game.

I think Parra has to throw strikes in spring training or he is out of the rotation and probably deservedly so. Bush has to prove he is over the injury physically and mentally as he was just horrible after getting hit by that pitch last year and never really recovered. Narveson is on the outside looking in, he probably has to really wow them to win the job. I don't think what Suppan does in spring training will play all that much into the decision.

Suppan is probably in the rotation if they aren't happy with what the other guys are doing. As much as people complain about Suppan he was the 2nd best starter on the team last year(very sad) so probably isn't the first choice to be taken out of the rotation. So in that way he probably does have the inside track, but I think the other guys can win the job from him and he can't save the job by anything he does. Either they step up and take the spot or they don't and Macha settles for Suppan.

If Suppan is on the mound on April 9 when I'm sitting in the stands, I will die a little inside. I've witnessed him lose us games time and time again, and if it is allowed to continue to happen I will be pissed. However, I suspect that it will happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Narveson won't make the rotation unless there's an injury or two. Suppan will certainly be on the 25 man to start the season. They ran out of starters last year, remember? No way they tempt fate again by releasing Suppan.

I would rather Bush and Parra both make the rotation, but I fear Suppan will supplant one of them. Managers love to give the ball to the "veteran gamer" with the big contract. If he fails Macha can shrug and say, "what can I do. He's the guy we pay to go out and win."

It almost seems like the plan is to expect an injury. If that's plan A, who knows what plan B is. After hiring Hawkins, there really is only the one slot in the bullpen open, so it isn't easy to stash someone there. I have a hard time imagining Parra not making the rotation, but what do I know?

Long shot possibilities: trade Suppan and eat most of his contract to someone like the Royals. They did eat Hall's contract and that shocked me. Or cut Bush before the season. Speaking of Hall, its pretty weird to think of him on the bench in Boston.

Formerly AKA Pete

If Suppan is on the mound on April 9 when I'm sitting in the stands, I will die a little inside. I've witnessed him lose us games time and time again, and if it is allowed to continue to happen I will be pissed. However, I suspect that it will happen.

Doesn't Suppan have pretty good career stats vs. St. Louis? Or maybe I'm imagining things again.

Macha should use a 4 man rotation in April. That way Gallardo can pitch in every NL Central series in April, and there are a lot. The Brewers play 2 series against the Cubs and Pirates, plus 3 games against the Cardinal's.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

i always assumed that soup would be the 4 and parra the 5. I don't agree with it, but thats my prediction. Bush has experience out of the pen in Toronto and I think that will work against him in spring training. That being said we have to let the 3 see what they can do in spring training before a rotation is set.

Macha should use a 4 man rotation in April. That way Gallardo can pitch in every NL Central series in April, and there are a lot. The Brewers play 2 series against the Cubs and Pirates, plus 3 games against the Cardinal's.

I would think that would wear Yo down pretty quickly, unless they get him used to it in the spring.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I don't think that would wear Yo down quickly at all. There are multiple days off in between series that would give Gallardo extra rest. It is a perfect situation to go with a 4-man rotation in April.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

There are 3 days off in April. The same as most months. The Brewers could set up a 4 man for the first two weeks, but that isn't going to properly prepare the 5th starter for the rest of the season.

There are 3 days off in April. The same as most months. The Brewers could set up a 4 man for the first two weeks, but that isn't going to properly prepare the 5th starter for the rest of the season.

If that 5th SP is Dave Bush, then he can pitch out of the bullpen in April to get his work in to prepare him for the rest of the season.

Random appearances of varying length is not the proper way to prepare a starter for 5 1/2 months of the season.

What benefit are you going to gain, versus the loss of preparing the 5th starter? You get one extra start from 3 pitchers, versus setting back the 5th starter on his schedule for a couple of games. What's the number of runs you expect to gain from that transaction?

Random appearances of varying length is not the proper way to prepare a starter for 5 1/2 months of the season.

What benefit are you going to gain, versus the loss of preparing the 5th starter? You get one extra start from 3 pitchers, versus setting back the 5th starter on his schedule for a couple of games. What's the number of runs you expect to gain from that transaction?

I don't think the 5th SP is as important as you think he is. In the Brewers rotation their 5 spot could be filled by 3 different players. There is no set 5th SP right now, so it is a big weak spot for the Brewers at this time. I'd rather have my top 3 pitchers get an extra start in April because of the competition they face, then send out a bad 5th SP.

Through May 3rd, I get 3 less starts for Parra (assuming Suppan is in long relief) and 1 extra start for Yom Wolf and Davis. Quick and dirty, using CHONE projections and assuming 6IP/start, it saves the Brewers 1.25 runs. You also get Parra in the bullpen for much of Aprilm which helps. Since you can't easily quantify how much not starting Parra regularly would hurt his performance, had to say what's right. I'd skip the #5 twice at least, personally.

My prediction is as follows:

1. Suppan has an E.R.A. over 6 in Arizona yet still goes north with the team as the #4 starter.

2. Parra is kept as the #5

3. In a cost-cutting move, Bush is cut a la Vargas to reduce payroll.

4. Bush is picked up by the Cubs and wins more games than Suppan and Parra combined.

5. Suppan is finally moved to the bullpen in July after an extended stint on the D.L. for a poorly explained injury after winning only 1 of his 8 starts.

6. The Brewers have a revolving door at the #5 position in the rotation, using at least five guys in that role.

Parra goes to DL let him work in AA/AAA on what Peterson recommends.

Bush shows up with his job on the line gets #4 spot.

Suppan gets 5 spot until shown in Apr/May that he is toast.

Last cut before spring between Villenova & Narveson. (Probably trade Villy y I still shake my head at Hawkins signing)

Archived