Brewer Fanatic

Texas Pitcher worth a damn...(Padilla)

geothite

Well he's 29 don't know if that's young.

And he's averaged about 27 starts the past 3 years and only pitched 115.1 innings and 147 innings in 2004 and 2005 respectively.

In fact he hasn't been very good the past 3 years, although he did pitch at Citizens Bank Park and Ameriquest Field.

Still I don't want him.

Past 3 years average stats:

27 starts/4.57 ERA/1.41 WHIP/180 BB's/341 K's

He doesn't have a connection to Melvin, so the texas thing doesn't really matter and he's going to be asking for too much money...

mid level SP's are about the worst place to spend money because they start out at about 7 million a year and seemingly never live up to their contracts...

The brewers have the right idea by acquiring guys like bush, capuano, and ohka as MLB ready starters...rather than throwing 10 million at AJ Burnett or 9 Million at Padilla

I'd rather resign Davis.

I don't understand why most people want Davis to be traded or gone after next year, but then want to sign a guy with a consistent ERA in the mid 4's to a deal worth more money that Davis wants. I vote we just give it to Davis.

(Comments about Davis are generalized, not specific to first few posts)

I'd rather resign Davis.

I don't understand why most people want Davis to be traded or gone after next year, but then want to sign a guy with a consistent ERA in the mid 4's to a deal worth more money that Davis wants. I vote we just give it to Davis.

I vote no on Padilla also.

However, I think we need to think long and hard on Davis he has peaked as a pitcher and we could get stuck with him and a big contract if not careful.

He may have peaked, but he is still a valuable pitcher. Even with his control problems he did have a lowish FIP last year at 4.43, just a little unlucky with BABIP and LOB%. And control is fixable.

I just still feel that Davis is better than the Padilla's and Lilly's out there this year. Don't give them money if we won't give it to Davis.

Doesn't Padilla feel like this year's Matt Clement?

Only in terms of how stupid the signing will look.

Clement was coming off a 3.68 ERA, 123 ERA+ season while Padilla posted a 4.50 ERA 104 ERA+ mark this year. Clement also hadn't pitched less than 169 IP and appeared to be peaking rather than 3 years past his peak.

Only in terms of how stupid the signing will look.

I'm talking about giving big money to a guy because you love his arm, rather than like what he's done at the ML level. Granted, Clement was coming off a much better season than Padilla, but both have warts and, if someone coughs up 4 yrs/36 million to Padilla I think they'll regret it as much as Boston regrets the Clement contract.

Archived