Brewer Fanatic

McGehee looking heavy -- Latest: John Sickels on McGehee's Career

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The photo on the Journal Sentinel website of McGehee made him look like he's put on a bit of weight.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/85292517.html

Casey's never been the sveltest guy in the world, but he's looking heavier. I know he had surgery on the knee last fall, so maybe he hasn't had the chance to stay in shape.

Anyone seen him in person? How's he looking? Moving well? Anything?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He hit well at every level in the minors,.....
That's not really true. His highest slugging pct in the minors was .429 in his second full season in AAA. Highest obp was in AA at .354. His overall minor league slashes: .279/.322/.409. Highest OPS was .776. If he was a 2B, SS, or catcher he might project as a major league starter with those numbers. Any other position and he's a bench player at best. The fact he's a righty didn't really help his chances.

He posted a .499 slugging pct last year. His batting average and obp were also the highest of his career.I'm cheering for the guy and hope he can maintain at least of some of that new found hitting prowess, but in reality, it's unlikely.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I remember Joe Morgan saying that in his day guys would come to camp out of shape and use camp to get in shape. Maybe that's McGehee's strategy too.

I hope not but you never know.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When was his knee surgury? That may have effected his conditioning.

And to answer the previous post, Prince is actually very athletic in my mind. I know he caries a lot of weight in the gut, but his chest and arms are huge too. I still remember standing next to him in A ball and being blown away at the size of the guy.

This came up in another thread. My opinion is that he doesn't really look much bigger than he did last season.

I'll third this opinion... and agree that he doesn't have a very athletic-looking body

Yeah I will 4th.... wait a minute.

He hit well at every level in the minors,.....

That's not really true. His highest slugging pct in the minors was .429

in his second full season in AAA. Highest obp was in AA at .354. His

overall minor league slashes: .279/.322/.409. Highest OPS was .776. If

he was a 2B, SS, or catcher he might project as a major league starter

with those numbers. Any other position and he's a bench player at best.

The fact he's a righty didn't really help his chances.

When I read that I thought "what the deuce?" McGehee was a pretty unspectacular hitter in the minors. I still think he should be a bench player. I hope he plays well if he is the starter but I would much rather see Gamel start at 3B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

You're completely reading into it. There's no resentment in stating that you prefer one player to another. He even said "I hope he plays well if he is the starter"

Especially when one player has a track record to indicate that they will be better than another player.

That being said, McGehee has been a good "problem." I don't think anyone here is upset about the year he had at all.

I have nothing against McGehee, I just don't believe he is good enough to start at 3B in the majors, I pretty much think last year was a fluke. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
That's pretty much how I feel

I don't think anyone here is upset about the year he had at all.
If McGehee performs well this year no. If he doesn't play well this year then I will be very upset about last year since it vaulted him into a starting spot this year.

I blame Wang.

I don't know. It just seems like McGehee didn't get much praise around here this past season, despite his tremendous offensive contributions, and playing respectable defense. I think Gamel showed he wasn't ready last season. Maybe that was partly becasue of how Macha used him, but Gamel didn't exactly bounce right back in AAA, either. If McGehee does falter, I have no doubt Gamel will get his chances again.

McGehee may regress some, but I don't think he will be a Bill Hall type case (whom I think people are unfairly comparing him to). McGehee has a better swing and stance than Hall ever did.

I can't help but think that if McGehee doesn't produce in the first week or two of the season, there will be plenty on this forum jumping on him for "being overweight," or "being a one year wonder." I don't think that's necessarily fair.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think McGehee was very underrated last year and I think he will be solid this year. Let's hope so! I do feel like people are just waiting to overreact if he's not batting around 300. I still think Gamel will not be a third basemen. I think he will end up in a corner OF spot or 1st base.

I don't know. It just seems like McGehee didn't get much praise around here this past season, despite his tremendous offensive contributions, and playing respectable defense.
His defense last year was not respectable. It was really poor. I think his knee affected that and he will probably play average defense this year.

I think Gamel showed he wasn't ready last season. Maybe that was partly

becasue of how Macha used him, but Gamel didn't exactly bounce right

back in AAA, either. If McGehee does falter, I have no doubt Gamel will

get his chances again.

I disagree. When Gamel got his chances to start, he hit very well and actually played better defense than McGehee. I think Gamel will get his chance to start if McGehee plays poorly for the first couple months. I think Gamel will get a chance even if McGehee is average as long as Gamel is raking in AAA and isn't horrendous on defense. I don't want McGehee to play poorly because it will hurt the Brewers. On the other hand, I think he will.

McGehee may regress some, but I don't think he will be a Bill Hall type

case (whom I think people are unfairly comparing him to). McGehee has a

better swing and stance than Hall ever did.

I think it is a fair comparison. His swing may be better, but he hit for a lot more power than at any point in the minors and had an inflated BABIP for a guy with his speed even with his LD%.

I can't help but think that if McGehee doesn't produce in the first

week or two of the season, there will be plenty on this forum jumping

on him for "being overweight," or "being a one year wonder." I don't

think that's necessarily fair.

I agree that calling him overweight wouldn't be fair. Of course there will be people jumping on him for being a one year wonder if he plays poorly. We have a whole range of posters here. There are also posters here who don't think he will hit well who won't jump on him for being a one year wonder after even a few months because they understand sample size.

I blame Wang.

Archived