Brewer Fanatic

Haudricourt Blog - Suppan won't change routine

Milltownhooker

Completely taken out of context I don't see anywhere in that article that he says he is not changing his approach. All that article was about was basically about how Suppan was preparing for the upcoming season I don't expect someone to change their approach on how they prepare for a season and I don't see how changing it would help or hurt Suppan at all or any other player for that matter.

The point was that he normally approaches spring training appearances differently than the regular season. He works on pitches in spring and doesn't worry about results. The point of the article that with no sure spot in the rotation, bad results could knock him out of a rotation. Despite this, Suppan said he's not going to do anything differently than he's done in past springs.

I frankly don't see the 5th or quite possibly the 4th spot being settled in spring. Whoever gets those spots could lose them a month into the season. The key will be how they line up the replacements. Will they be in the pen or will they sneak a guy or two on the DL and have them making "rehab" starts in Nashville. The fact that Parra had his shoulder "cleaned out" in fall, and that Bush was possibly not fully recovered from his problems, could be used as an excuse to DL either one of them.

I think the early results in spring won't matter a bit. What may matter more is how well they finish spring training. If Suppan is struggling in his last couple starts when he is throwing all his pitches then he will be in trouble. I don't think it matters at all if he sucks when all he's doing is throwing fastballs early on.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I hope Melvin doesn't need to see any spring performances to know that Suppan is not one of the 5 best SPs the Brewers have right now.

“We’ll probably wait right until the end to determine (the rotation)," said Melvin. "We do have to look at their track record as well as what they do in the spring. You’ve got to be careful not to be fooled by spring training. We’ll look at their overall stuff, and health issues.”

Link

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I hope Melvin doesn't need to see any spring performances to know that Suppan is not one of the 5 best SPs the Brewers have right now.
I wouldn't be so quick to agree with you here. If Parra isn't throwing strikes Suppan very well could be one of the 5 best. I think given the results of the past 2 seasons the biggest question with him is durability. Both years he has really faded late and if he can't go 200 IP again without a late season fade he probably should start in long relief and join the rotation when someone gets hurt.

Agreed that Soup isn't being a dink, just saying he's not changing his routine and trying to rush his spring progress in order to "impress" coaches and GM. I could see Soup being in the top 5 when the season starts. It will be inetersting but whatever we can do to have depth as the season goes is important.

Archived