Brewer Fanatic

What are you watching?

logan82
wanted to bump this thread because i've also started to watch The League on FX (watching it through Hulu). it centers around a small handful of guys who have a fantasy football league together, but basically the whole show is them getting together to trash talk and insult each other. it's great.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
I don't have Showtime, but I rented the first season of Shameless. Wow! What a great show. I highly recommend it. A large cast and every character is interesting (the kids are great), several different story lines, and definitely pushes some boundaries. William H. Macy plays the deadbeat drunk perfectly and Joan Kusack is fantastic (I'm sure I've never said that of JK).

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I need a few new TV shows to watch. Any suggestions? Has anyone watched Archer or The L-Word?

I've seen every episode of the following:

Dexter

Weeds

Californication

Queer as Folk

Dead Like Me

United States of Tara

Penn & Teller: BS

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

Eastbound & Down

Life and Times of Tim

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bored to Death

Flight of the Conchords

John from Cincinnati

Rome

Deadwood

Entourage

Carnivale

Da Ali G Show

The Wire

Six Feet Under

The Sopranos

Mr Show

Oz

Chris Rock Show

Twin Peaks

The West Wing

Madmen

Breaking Bad

X-Files

Arrested Development

Trailer Park Boys

Seinfeld

Firefly

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The League

Louie

Sons of Anarchy

Southpark

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

True Blood

The Walking Dead

Edit: That's a lot of TV and I probably forgot to list some. Grad school + Alaska winter = a lot of free time inside.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Two shows I'd definitely suggest that you watch that aren't on that list are How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. Awesome shows. Also, even though it's over, I was a big fan of King of Queens. Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher is pretty good, although I still liked it with Charlie Sheen. Just started watching Alcatraz, which is pretty interesting if you're into that kind of thing.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I've watched many of the shows on your list and based on that and your list I would add the The Shield, (creator of Sons of Anarchy was a writer and producer of the Shield). Justified has a few of the old Shield cast members and I've enjoyed that show as well.

I'd second Big Bang and Modern Family. I see How I Met Your Mother mentioned and I will since your taste in shows seems similar to mine, I won't say I hate How I Met Your Mother, because there are funny moments and the concept is good, I just hate Ted and Marshall's characters so much, I just want to punch them.

For more sophomoric humor I like Comedy Central's Workaholics as well, just ridiculous over the top stuff that I remember from being a stupid early 20's idiot and seeing/doing.

For Sci Fi I would check out Battlestar Galactica, the newer series, not the 70's Dirk Benedict/Lorne Greene version. Good drama, not just a science fiction or tech oriented show.

If you are into watching shows on DVD from beginning to end, Lost, is worth seeing in order, beginning to end.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

I've seen bits and pieces of How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang, but I'm really not a fan. I can't say I'm a big fan of any prime time network television shows. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Alcatraz so far, and I'm not impressed. It's a pretty generic show with no compelling characters. I am fascinated with Alcatraz the prison though so I keep tuning in.

I ripped through the entire series of Lost and enjoyed it. I thought the series could have been shorter though.

Archer

Party Down

Duckman

Southland

Fringe

The Shield

Battlestar Galactica

Which should I watch first?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Some people love Fringe, some dont like it at all. I would start with a show like that, so if you don't like it, you can move onto the next one. I would save the shows that are more of a "sure thing" for later...

John Noble makes the show "Fringe", along with Peter Jackson. The actress who plays Olivia was terrible in season 1, but has gotten better at acting with each season. I was really worried Fringe was going to stink this year, but it's been awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

I've seen bits and pieces of How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang, but I'm really not a fan. I can't say I'm a big fan of any prime time network television shows. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Alcatraz so far, and I'm not impressed. It's a pretty generic show with no compelling characters. I am fascinated with Alcatraz the prison though so I keep tuning in.

I ripped through the entire series of Lost and enjoyed it. I thought the series could have been shorter though.

Archer

Party Down

Duckman

Southland

Fringe

The Shield

Battlestar Galactica

Which should I watch first?

I'd say Southland and not just because I recommended it. The first season is only 7 eps and the second 6 eps. Because of NBC's stupidity in deciding to cancel it, production was stopped after 6 eps of the second season and luckily TNT scooped it up. The only problem you might have is actually finding a way to watch it. Season 1 is the only one on Netflix as of now. I believe Season 2 is only available through Amazon and WB's on demand service in which they create the dvd for you after you order it. No word yet on Season 3. It sucks that the show can't even get a big enough fan base where they have available DVDs and they have to make them as you order.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Lol I almost said Pacey

Yikes!

Haha... my gf (big Lost/JJ Abrams fan) definitely got into watching Fringe. Being apathetic about the show, I felt it was my duty to make as many "Pacey" jokes as possible; the subtler the better. Unfortunately (in only this context) I was also apathetic about Dawson's Creek back when it aired, so I didn't have much material to work with in the name of subtlety.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Parks and Rec is a must watch for me every week. That's really about it. I abandoned The Office as soon as Steve Carrell left, as it was going downhill even before that happened IMO. I occasionally watch 30 Rock and Archer (hilarious every time I've seen it), but for whatever reason I haven't got into watching these every week. The best shows by far are the paid programming or cable shows. We had a free trial of HBO last year and I watched the first season of Boardwalk Empire, which was awesome, but then our trial ran out.

I know a lot of people disagree with me (America's most watched network!), but I find everything on CBS intolerable. I can watch an entire episode of one of those laugh-track comedies without even smiling once. It's either laugh track comedies or crime/law shows on that network.

Also, I had never even seen an episode of American Idol until this year, but that has changed because my friend from college is a contestant this year--Reed Grimm. I've seen his band play several times, and he's very talented and an awesome personality. He's advanced the the Hollywood Round, as it's apparently called, so I'll be watching as long as he's alive.

I've been watching Alcatraz, and I'm glad I stuck with it. It's like Lost in a lot of ways, where the first couple episodes is setting everything up and revealing a lot of mysteries. Now, it's starting to pick up with some answers.

I know a lot of people disagree with me (America's most watched network!), but I find everything on CBS intolerable. I can watch an entire episode of one of those laugh-track comedies without even smiling once. It's either laugh track comedies or crime/law shows on that network.

Also, I had never even seen an episode of American Idol until this year, but that has changed because my friend from college is a contestant this year--Reed Grimm. I've seen his band play several times, and he's very talented and an awesome personality. He's advanced the the Hollywood Round, as it's apparently called, so I'll be watching as long as he's alive.

I can't stand CBS either. The only shows I watch on there are HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, and Amazing Race. Everything else is laugh-track crap or procedurals. I honestly think the only reason CBS gets so high of ratings is because of old people and the "casual, mindless" viewer. Old people love their crime shows and having their plots wrapped up in an hour. They probably also don't use DVR so they don't have to worry if they miss a show here and there because none of them really tie together.

I love serialized shows and I just don't really see the appeal watching the same crappy procedurals over and over (3 CSIs, 2 NCISs, all the other dumb stuff). The only procedurals I watch are L&O:SVU and House and that's only because I've been watching them for so long. I tried to watch Alcatraz but when I realized it was basically a "prisoner of the week" show, I gave up.

As for Idol, I've been watching since season 4. I wouldn't care if it was cancelled but as long as it's on, I feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't watch it. That's pretty cool you know that dude, I was huge fan of the Family Matters theme song.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Completely agree on CBS. Whenever I hear them say "The most watched network" it makes me cringe. I am one of the few people who cannot stand NCIS and I get bored with the CIS stuff. I can list of quickly which CBS shows even interest me - The Big Bang Theory (but even with that I find it formulaic) and Person of Interest (havent watched but will some day). That is it. Unless it is college football/basketball or the NFL I never watch CBS. And since their football is the SEC and their NFL is the AFC I rarely watch their sports until March Madness

Completely agree on CBS. Whenever I hear them say "The most watched network" it makes me cringe. I am one of the few people who cannot stand NCIS and I get bored with the CIS stuff. I can list of quickly which CBS shows even interest me - The Big Bang Theory (but even with that I find it formulaic) and Person of Interest (havent watched but will some day). That is it. Unless it is college football/basketball or the NFL I never watch CBS. And since their football is the SEC and their NFL is the AFC I rarely watch their sports until March Madness
I don't have time to get into CBS' procedural dramas, but I do find them to be entertaining at times. Their comedy outside of HIMYM is just horrible though. I just don't get Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory. I mean, its just the lowest form of fart jokes or sexual situations, which I normally find hilarious, but its so poorly done it just makes me shake my head.

About the only shows I watch these days that aren't on Showtime or HBO are Southland, Archer, IASIP, the League, Wilfred, Justified, and Breaking Bad. Why did NBC cancel Southland? So they could show more Nightrider reruns?

Archived