Brewer Fanatic

Braves' C Saltalamacchia

BP claims, and I think accurately so, that

Quote:
He'll likely begin 2007 at Triple-A, but with Brian McCann entrenched at the big league level, Saltalamacchia might be the best prospect on the trading block at the Winter Meetings next month.
He did struggle quite a bit in AA, but scouts opinions of him appear to be that he'll be fine (whether these scouts should be trusted at all is debatable, but that's another issue).

I'm not as familiar with peoples' opinions on the Brewers farm system as I really should be. Clearly, Miller's no spring chicken, so looking forward, who's in line to take over? Angel Salome stats look pretty nice, but he's 20 and just finished A ball. Meanwhile, the Braves farm system isn't bad, but it's also got plenty of holes in it... would they trade Saltalamacchia for prospects? Or would it take a 'serious' major league player to get our grubby paws on him?

Salty is not only one of the Braves top prospects (if not their #1 guy overall), but he's also one of the top prospects in all of baseball, and the best caching prospect. To trade for him you are either going to have to trade a prospect of equal value, or acquire him as part of a larger deal involving big leaguers.

Basically, would you trade Ryan Braun to get him?

Even with McCann, the Braves don't have to move Salty at this point in time, but if he is available, I would definitely find out what it would take to get him.

word from people close to Salty is that he's not totally focused on his baseball career and possible a bit wild...

i think he shares some similarities with palmisano...i'd be happy to have him, but i think the braves might just be sick of this guy...

Colby I totally respect your opinion but Salty is probably thee most overrated prospect in all of the minoirs. He struggled big time last year, I believe playing at AA. That jump can be huge and sometimes it weeds out the pretenders. Braun for Salty?? that's a joke right?

It doesn't matter if you think that Salty is an overrated prospect, the Braves (and scouts) still think very highly of the guy, and they're not simply going to trade him away due to a perceived logjam. They don't have to move him right now.

I wasn't suggesting that I would trade Braun for him, but that may be the asking price from the Braves. You're not going to be able to simply package together a few mid-level prospects for him.

People can ask for whatever they want for players, that's not however, their value, you asked the question about Braun and I responded. I'm pretty sure Melvin would hang up on the Braves GM if that offer was extended. Thye can't keep Salty forever, 5 yr minor leage FA? thats probably when the guy gets moved and it probably won't be for alot.

You're pretty quick to write off Salty's career at this point in time, but I guarantee you GMs and scouts out there value Salty much more than you do.

As I noted above, no matter what you think of him, Salty is the best catching prospect in the game, a top-20 prospect overall, and given the perpetual need for catching, he won't come cheap.

And trading for prospects is never easy, because it is so difficult to accurately judge their value, as you pointed out.

Sheff never had a season where he tanked, though. He destroyed basically every level of the minor leagues before he even turned 20.

I think Salty's going to be a good player, but unless you're a Delmon Young or Sheffield, etc. you're not going to get away with being overly flaky, or having off-field problems.

Sheffield isn't a flake,he's just selfish and has a massive ego.Plenty of supremely talented athletes with simular attitudes to Sheffield have been driven to be great because being great helps feed that huge ego.

Being flaky and weird can be a tougher issue if it's pretty severe,but i have no idea about Saltalamacchia.Those that deal with him daily should know better if it may stunt his development.

I realize prospect for prospect deals are rare, but if tthe Braves are after young pitching, we seem to have a surplus. With Eveland, Jackson, Villanueva, Dillard, etc....would 2 of those players be enough? Maybe throw in a token major leaguer like Turnbow?

Wild, like off-field stuff, like Lou Palmisano stuff that pogo mentioned. Sometimes it is totally off-base when someone has their "commitment" to baseball questioned, but it seems like this stuff has been said about him for a while.

Not wild like "wants to win".

Archived