Brewer Fanatic

What would you give up to keep Chuck Lofgren?

docduany

Mods, please move or combine this thread if you think it's out of place. With the 25 man roster looking pretty tough to crack, it would seem keeping a project like Lofgren may be poor choice. With Cleveland being in rebuild mode I would imagine they'd want Chuck back rather than just let the Crew keep him and send him down. I like the idea of Lofgren and would like to see if a change in scenery/ time allows him to take more steps forward. What would you be willing to give Cleveland in order to hand onto Chuck?

I've got a few players that I'd let go 1 for 1. I feel more like it's a level/ type of player you give for a chance of Lofgren fulfilling his potential. Guys like John Axford, Evan Anundsen, Eric Farris, the Hurricane, Bredan Katin and Adam Heether. Most of these players you can see their ceiling. A chance to play at the next level, but most likely not stars.

Pretty sure that before a trade could be worked out, Lofgren would have to pass through waivers. So if he shows promise this spring but there's no room on the Brewer 25-man, he may get claimed if someone else thinks they can carry him. If he's not overly impressive, he'd likely pass waivers but the Brewers probably wouldn't want to give up much to keep him.

So, a decent topic, but not one that may come to fruition at all....

I don't think Lofgren is a viable major league starter so I wouldn't give up much. It took him until age 23 to have success in AA and then he was terrible again in AAA. His K rate isn't impressive at all and he hasn't shown the great control someone like that needs to succeed and he isn't a groundball pitcher. I think best case scenario he becomes a LOOGY and probably not a terribly impressive one.

Not sure I would like to see this guy stay with us. Definitely would not give up anybody like Salome for him. Found this while looking for a scouting report on him. Link

That's also from April 2008. Not saying he's necessarily done anything to turn himself back into a top prospect (he was available in the Rule 5, after all), just an observation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know it was a little old, but looking at his BB/9 and K/9 numbers it doesn't seem like he improved since then. Came accross a couple of conflicting reports on his stuff as well. One says he is in the low 90's and touches 95. Another says he is in the high 80's-low 90's. Lofgren and Parra as a comparison.

Lofgren

BB/9/K/9

5.2/9.3

4.2/8.6

3.5/8.1

4.2/7.7

5.5/7.6

3.1/5.9

Parra

BB/9/K/9

1.8/10

1.7/7.6

2.3/9.1

2.1/8.5

4.2/9.4

2.8/8.9

4.7/6.9(2010 4 innings)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Lofgren was mostly a "hedging our bets" type of acquisition. If he's no longer needed, the Brewers will happily let him go. I can't think of a pitcher on the 25 man who is worth giving up in favor of him (well, maybe Riske, but I don't imagine he's going anywhere). And they're not about to carry 13 pitchers for the whole season. So, to answer your question, I would give up nothing.

Archived