Brewer Fanatic

Top five prospects you want to succeed in 2010

paul253
I wanted to bring back this thread now that the season is over. 2 of my original prospects I was hoping would have nice seasons, Brent Brewer and Yohannis Perez, well......not so much . Scarpetta, Lawrie and Odorizzi all had pretty decent years though. How did everyone else's picks do?

Ecstatic with Lawrie. Definitely my favorite prospect. Braddock is definitely the best strikeout artist in the system, albeit out of the 'pen. Aguilar proved to be a dominator of A-Ball and a novice of AA players. Still, good FIP and K numbers. Odorizzi...he pitched. He didn't build all that much on last year, but he still is quite young and he didn't fail either. And BrentBrewer continues to make the mouth water while doing so little. Still, Hanley Ramirez didn't dominate either until he became a Fish. ANd Jeffress was going to become the top pitching prospect in baseball....but then he got high....again.

I was actually very happy with Odorizzi's performance this year. His 4.5ish ERA was the result of one really bad outing. Otherwise, it might have been below three. He also had a very nice strikeout to walk ratio (43:9) in 47 IP while allowing just 3 homeruns. I'm excited to see how he does in Appleton next year.

"ANd Jeffress was going to become the top pitching prospect in baseball....but then he got high....again. "

Jeffress had some potential, but there have been a lot of ?'s on him the last two seasons. His performance this year was abysmal. Even in A ball, he didn't dominate. If he somehow stays clean, I still don't see him panning out as anything more than a reliever. Yes, 100mph fastball, great, but he has no secondary pitches and no control.

His performance this year was abysmal. Even in A ball,

He dominated the FSL as a 21 year old, with a 2.18 ERA and more K's than innings pitched. He gave up just 16 hits in 33 innings. Thats dominant. On the field, he's a top prospect. His issues are off the field.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 4 months later...

May be a little early for this, but why not start it again for the 2010 season? Top 5 I would love to see succeed in 2010

1) Taylor Green - Injury ravaged season pretty much hampered any development, but he still had good strike zone discipline.

2) Lorenzo Cain - Needs a big year to regain his elite prospect status within the organization. He'd be an ideal replacement for Corey Hart in 2011.

3) Mark Rogers - I'd love to see him have back to back injury free years. Also love to see fewer walks.

4) Brett Lawrie - It would be nice to see him absolutely dominate opposing pitchers and shoot up those prospect top 100 lists. I think the Brewers need to start him in A+

5) Eric Arnett - Always good to have a first rounder succeed, but we really need these pitching prospects to start advancing and advancing fast.

1. Jeffress

2. Rogers

3. Lawrie

4. Lucroy

5. Salome

I figure my list is similar to alot of the lists on here. But I really want to emphasize Jeffress and Rogers. If we can get a really good year out of the two of them, then our minor league pitching looks a WHOLE lot better.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

1. Jeffress

2. Rogers

3. Lawrie

4. Lucroy

5. Salome

I figure my list is similar to alot of the lists on here. But I really want to emphasize Jeffress and Rogers. If we can get a really good year out of the two of them, then our minor league pitching looks a WHOLE lot better.

Yeah, it's hard to argue against those two. As I stated in the Fielder thread, the only way I'm locking him up and spending all that money on Prince is if our farm system progresses this year to the point where you can expect a nice flow of talent the next 4-5 years. Not just in terms of top tier talent, but also those peripheral players. Utility IF, MRP'ers, ect..ect..

The biggest aspect of that is obviously the starting pitching though. We need to be able to supplement this starting rotation so we don't have to give pitchers we don't think are worthy of big contracts-big contracts because we need somebody.

With that said;

1-Brett Lawrie-

With all my talk about pitching, I think Lawrie's our best prospect. I think he's the only offensive player we've got with the potential to be truly special in the big leagues. I don't care who it is, or how much hyperbole is being used, but when a guy gets compared to Rogers Hornsby...he good!

2-Eric Arnett

Simply because he's a guy who could be on the fast track, is a big physical starter with good velocity who could develop into a strikeout pitcher.

3-Jake Odorizzi

I've always been a big fan. I want him to succeed, but I'd also like to see him add a couple ticks to his fastball. If he does that, I think he becomes a future ace rather than the #3, maybe 2 that he could become as is.

4-Brooks Hall

I'm just a huge fan of his as well. Big young, projectable. What's not to like.

5-Mark Rogers

He's just an easy guy to root for. Seems like just a genuinely good kid who has had bad luck.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Here's my list I have tickets to every Tuesday game for the Timber Rattlers so alot of their players will intrest me and I will give updates and try to post some pics of high profile prospects.

Jake Odorizzi - I have been excited about him since the day we drafted him and can't wait to see him live.

CaleB Gindl - Because of his size he is very underrated yet all he does is put up numbers no matter where he plays.

Cody Scarpetta - Watched he pitch 3 times last year and every time I came away more impressed with his stuff has the potential to be dominate.

Taylor Green - I hope he has a bounce back year and reestablishes himself as one of our top prospects.

Erik Komatsu - I was looking forward to seeing him last year in Appleton but he seemed to have constant nagging injuries and didn't look like the same players that put up really nice numbers the year before in Helena I hope he can bounce back.

While making my list I realized we have a lot of young pitching prospects but not very many young hitting prospect below the AA level I hope some of the young kids have break out years.

1. Jeffress (plain and simple, if he can turn his life around and dedicate himself to pitching, he could be a top of the rotation star)

2. Rogers (A good year of Rogers, and we could be talking about another top of the rotation guy, possibly even a cup of coffee, after all he's been through, he deserves as much)

3. Arnett (I hope he develops quickly and moves up quickly, and shows that he can step in and be a top caliber pitcher)

4. Scarpetta (If he can harness his huge potential, he's going to be awesome)

5. Braddock (Stay healthy and build stamina young man, because there is a spot for you near the top of the rotation if you do)

If all of these players are able to come near their potential this year, the Brewers are going to be in amazing shape pitching wise going forward. Here's to hoping they all can figure it out this year.

It's hard to narrow it down to just five.

Taylor Green, Lorenzo Cain, and Angel Salome need to get healthy.

Zach Braddock, Jonathan Pokorny, Donovan Hand, and Daniel Meadows all could be good option if they were tried as starters.

Chris Cody and Josh Butler could both be great for the rotation. Mark Rogers is setting himself up for an awesome comeback story, as is Mike Jones.

Jonathan Lucroy could team with Salome to give the Brewers an awesome catching tandem.

Cutter Dykstra could be a poor man's Coco Crisp for the Brewers if developed as a utility player.

Logan Schaefer and Caleb Gindl could compete for OF slots.

And how about Joe Paciorek, who showed some good plate discipline (19 BB in 201 PA). If he can get the average up, he could be interesting.

1. Eric Farris

For the obvious reason I've been arguing for a while that he belongs farther up the prospect list and because if he repeats his 2nd half of last year at Huntsville (.340/.369/.421) and steals 70 bases again, the Brewers really have something here.

2. Amaury Rivas

I think he's probably the closest actual starting pitching prospect to the major leagues in terms of readiness. Another good season, and he'll warrant a late season call-up.

3. Jonathon Lucroy

Success in 2010 is defined for Lucroy as catching and producing in Milwaukee. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

4. Logan Schafer

This is the fall back guy in my mind if Gomez fails. He too could see a late season call-up with a stellar AA season.

5. Brett Lawrie

It's time for the production to match the hype. I want to see a .300/.370/.480 season out of him which would be impressive for a 20 year old in Florida.

The first two are easy.

1) I want Gamel to re-establish himself as an elite prospect. I just don't know if that can happen as long as Macha is the ruler.

2) Jeffress. Please. these guys don't grow on trees.

Harder after that. I'd say:

3) Lucroy--ever upward offensively and defensively. I just want to have a guy behind the plate who can be productive for 3/4 years.

4) I'd like to say Cain here, but if Gomez does anything I fear his best hope lies elsewhere. So I'll say any pitcher drafted after the first three rounds of the last two drafts. Someone has to emerge to go along with Arnett.

5) Odo. God I hope Odo, because every personal red flag has gone up concerning this young man. And by red flag, I mean my total ignorance when evaluating young talent especially pitchers.

5. Brett Lawrie

It's time for the production to match the hype. I want to see a .300/.370/.480 season out of him which would be impressive for a 20 year old in Florida.

So being tied for 15th in the Midwest League in OPS as a 19 year old isn't good enough? And Ryan Braun hit .274/.344/.438/.782 line in Brevard County as a 22 year old.

Glad to see you don't have too high of expectations for a 20 year old!

As far as my list.

1. Angel Salome - Had a down year riddled with injuries. It would be nice to see him have a bounce back year so we could have two really good catching prospects.

2. Lorenzo Cain - Another injury plagued year. Like Salome and Lucroy at catcher it would be nice to have two good CF prospects in Cain and Schafer.

3. Wily Peralta - Just a favorite of mine.

4. Mark Rogers - Would love to see him have a great year starting. Not only because it would be great to have another pitching prospect, but just to overcome the injuries.

5. Del Howell - Lefty with good stuff. Lefties stick together, so I'll be rooting for him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

1. Mark Rogers - I have wanted him to succeed for a long time. Here is to hoping he stays healthy and improves

2. Lucroy - I just want a solid catcher who is a threat at the plate to do more than hit a weak groundball

3. Odorizzi - I love his makeup

4. Scarpetta - His performance was fun to follow last year

5. Arnett - can you tell I want us to develop pitching this year.

I also have soft spots for Komatsu, Jeffress, Schafer, Howell, and Brooks Hall

1. Rogers

2. Rivas

3. Butler

4. Gamel

5. Salome.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

1. Wily Peralta - Live arm, exciting talent. This could be the year that determines whether his future is in the rotation or bullpen, and obviously I'd love to see him succeed as a starter

2. Scarpetta - A personal favorite. Love the arm.

3. Odorizzi - See Scarpetta . . .

4. Eric Farris - Fast guys are fun to watch, and Eric is REALLY fast. Hopefully he can show people he's a good baseball player too.

5. Michael Bowman - Gotta rep central VA - he's making steady progress therough the minors, and will be age appropriate if he hits AA this year. If he continues to have success, he could turn out to be a nice back of the rotation arm.

Now that it's been said a second time, Farris is not a + + runner... he's a + runner, just like Escobar, Hart, etc... he will not steal as many bases at AA this year, AAA next year, or MLB if he gets that far as he did in A+. He's just not fast enough and better catchers/pitchers will do a better job limiting his opportunities. I can see him being a 20+ SB guy in a single full season, but he's not going to be mistaken for Pierre or Henderson, not by any stretch. I'm not taking anything away from him, he seems to have a great mind for the game, he's a very solid all around player, but he doesn't have elite speed. I'll happily eat crow if I'm proven wrong, but I just don't see those stolen base totals translating to MLB.

We aren't talking about a 19 year old kid stealing those bases, we're talking about a 23 year old young man stealing those bases, and Eric just doesn't have much projection left, his body is likely done maturing. I will say I am curious about the spike... why did he all of a sudden succeed at such a high rate in the FSL? The year before he got caught stealing 10 times in 42 attempts in WV... something doesn't add up... I'm not suggesting anything malicious on his part, I'm just curious about the why/how... did coaching make a difference, did they notice something in his first step? I'm just really curious to know what helped turn the light on for him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think to answer this question all you have to do is list the 5 prospects that have the most potential. In other words, if every thing went right for these 5 players who would be the most dominate in the bigs?

Brett Law

Eric Arnett

Kentrail Davis

Kyle Heckathorn

Cody Scarpetta

I also would like to come back years from cain and jeffress

- Mat Gamel: remind everyone why your bat is so well-regarded, and show them why your range on defense is nearly as good

- Eric Arnett: hopefully he can shoot up to at least Huntsville... am I wrong to hope to see him reach Nashville?

- Jeremy Jeffress: time to re-dedicate & start realizing that huge potential

- Brett Lawrie: more of the same will do just fine; at this rate, he could debut in 2011

- Zach Braddock & Josh Butler: because good seasons from them will likely mean helping the big-league club

- Angel Salome & Jonathan Lucroy: see previous comment

- Kentrail Davis: chance to showcase his bat & turn himself into the next slugging Brewers prospect

- Taylor Green: hope he can bounce back from the wrist injury & provide more organizational depth at 3B

Not exactly good math on my part, with 10 guys. But that's my short list. Tends to be more geared towards the higher end of the system, but what can I say. I want to see these guys in Milwaukee asap. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Boy, hard to pick just five. Here goes:

1) Mat Gamel - re-establish your stardom young man, Macha be damned

2) Mark Rogers - prove your arm isn't made of glass and that it has been worth the wait

3) Zach Braddock - see #2

4) Taylor Green - show that you are the Corey Koskie (left-handed, decent power/OBP/defense) we were robbed of

5) At least one of Lucroy/Salome - because we desperately need a catcher of the future

Honorable mention - every other pitcher on the Power 50

So far, people have been picking guys who have already had some success or guys that were picked in last years draft. I am going to go with some guys that have struggled a bit since arriving in our system.

1. Brent Brewer: this is probably his last chance, but if he can get it together at all, things could interesting.

2. Evan Fredrickson: big lefty needs to find control and the high 90's heat that he brought to his draft showcase.

3. Erik Komatsu: we need him to help power the Rattlers, and he is more than capable.

4. Lee Haydel: if he could even double his walk rate, he could start climbing up some lists.

5. Demetrius McKlevie: struck out a lot in his debut, but the untapped potential is there.

Of these guys start to pan out, our system will look better than ever.

Now that it's been said a second time, Farris is not a + + runner... he's a + runner, just like Escobar, Hart, etc... he will not steal as many bases at AA this year, AAA next year, or MLB if he gets that far as he did in A+. He's just not fast enough and better catchers/pitchers will do a better job limiting his opportunities. I can see him being a 20+ SB guy in a single full season, but he's not going to be mistaken for Pierre or Henderson, not by any stretch. I'm not taking anything away from him, he seems to have a great mind for the game, he's a very solid all around player, but he doesn't have elite speed. I'll happily eat crow if I'm proven wrong, but I just don't see those stolen base totals translating to MLB.

We aren't talking about a 19 year old kid stealing those bases, we're talking about a 23 year old young man stealing those bases, and Eric just doesn't have much projection left, his body is likely done maturing. I will say I am curious about the spike... why did he all of a sudden succeed at such a high rate in the FSL? The year before he got caught stealing 10 times in 42 attempts in WV... something doesn't add up... I'm not suggesting anything malicious on his part, I'm just curious about the why/how... did coaching make a difference, did they notice something in his first step? I'm just really curious to know what helped turn the light on for him.

It just demonstrates that he's a good base-stealer. There are plenty of fast guys in the majors that don't translate that into high SB totals. Coco Crisp comes to mind. On the other side of the equation, there's guys like Dave Roberts, who late in his career didn't have amazing speed, but remained a lethal base-stealer because he knew how to read pitchers, get good leads, jumps, etc. Farris makes his speed count where it's important - good range in the field and smart base-running.

I hear that. After reading everybody else's choices, i kept finding myself saying "oh man, i forgot about ____."

Yeah you could really have no problem listing 15 guys here. I'm really excited to following the progress of Scarpetta and Peralta to see how they do in A+.

Archived