Brewer Fanatic

BJ Surhoff elected to College Baseball HOF

DSFastball55

Elected to the orioles HOF? There is no way the surhoff i remember was good enough to get into any pro team’s HOF. I just reviewed his career and man i hate to say this, but it looks very roidy. Is he an admitted user?

If not, the following outlines my suspicion. He broke into the bigs at 23 years old with mil in 87. Playing 9 seasons with milwaukee hitting 7,5,5,6,5,4,7,5, 13 hrs in those seasons. His HR avg during his 'baseball prime' was 6.3 with max of 13 (age 31). Then he goes to baltimore in 96, at age 32 he starts dropping bombs like the clinton administration 21,18,22,28,14 avg 20.6 max 28 (age 36). Im sorry, but I can’t believe BJ developed that kind of power naturally after his 32nd birthday.

Camden Yards is a bandbox, especially for lefties. He played mostly catcher with the Brewers but not with the O's, which would lead to more offense. I'd be very surprised if BJ was a juicer. I suppose Cal's your next target?

I remember Surhoff had a big year out of nowhere in 95 for the Brewers. It was pretty unexpected because he kind of returned to the team by default that spring because he didn't get much interest anywhere else. I always liked Surhoff, but it's been in the back of my mind that he may have wanted to get an edge to get a new contract and keep himself playing.

I always think of BJ as a class act. The story I remember hearing concerned the day he left Milwaukee. He had the offier from Baltimore. Sal Bando agreed to match the offer, but had to know by a certain time, after which time Sal intended to make an offer to another player. BJ is said to have sat in his car in the parking lot of County Stadium, unable to make the final decision. After the time passed, he drove away. Don't know for sure if this story is true, but I suspect it is.

I always think of BJ as a class act. The story I remember hearing concerned the day he left Milwaukee. He had the offier from Baltimore. Sal Bando agreed to match the offer, but had to know by a certain time, after which time Sal intended to make an offer to another player. BJ is said to have sat in his car in the parking lot of County Stadium, unable to make the final decision. After the time passed, he drove away. Don't know for sure if this story is true, but I suspect it is.
I remember Surhoff saying at the time that it was tough to leave Milwaukee because of the support system that his family had with his autistic son. Ah the good old days, when probably half of the Brewers actually- gasp-

lived in Milwaukee year round. My how things have changed in 20 years.

I'd actually be pretty surprised if Bando matched Baltimore's offer instead of trying to lowball him though. I wonder who the other player was in this situation. Ben McDonald?

Camden Yards is a bandbox, especially for lefties. He played mostly catcher with the Brewers but not with the O's, which would lead to more offense. I'd be very surprised if BJ was a juicer. I suppose Cal's your next target?
good one. who knows, he very well could have been. Im not actually hung up on steriod users, but BJs historical trend screams juicer.

Archived