Brewer Fanatic

Predict the opening day 25 man roster

adambr2
I think, and hope, at this point that Melvin and company will be smart enough to dictate to Macha that if Lucroy or Salome make the MLB roster, they will be catching a bare minimum of two games a week. I don't think they're going to make the same stupid mistake they did with Kendall and try to use Zaun as some sort of "iron man" catcher that almost never sits.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my shot at this

Rotation: Gallardo,Wolf, Davis, Bush, Suppan

Bullpen: Hoffman,Hawkins,Coffey,Stetter,Parra,Navarson

I think Vargas gets cut out of Spring Training, & Soup makes it at max until May 31st before he gets cut. Thats when they put the winner of the Parra/Navarson contest in the rotation. At that time they bring up Villenuuva up.

Starters: Weeks,Escobar,Braun,Fielder,Mcghee,Hart/Edmonds,Zaun,Gomez

Bench: Trenor(sorry),Edomonds/Hart,Counsell,Inglett,Heether,Oetljen

I too think Kotteras will be cut & they will go with the non sexy pick in Trenor because his is a righty & he belongs to the international brotherhood of back up catchers. Lucroy & Salomone need to their at bats.They need a righty off the bench & being Heether can play a number of positions I think he gets the 25th man award.I think Gerut will get outplayed by Oetjen in spring leading to Gerut getting cut. Although I dont feel sold on this quite yet.Inglett could be the surprise of the spring. I think he will be the 1st man off the bench and playing 3rd occaionally to give Mcghee a day off. I also think he will become a fan favorite.

he belongs to the international brotherhood of back up catchers.

IBBUC. Awesome. Ned Yost approves.

Keith Osik,Garry Bennett,Tom Lampkin,Jesse Levis, Robert Machado, Andy Allanson, Mike Rivera. They are all card carrying members. I think this is Matt Trenors destiny. Backup catcher Milwauke Brewers 2010.

I think when the Brewers take a realistic look at Suppan's 2009 he is not going to be cut, for all the Suppan is terrible talk he had a 4.43 ERA in July and roughly his normal peripherals and than was very erratic in the second half with 3 complete disaster starts in there. His ERA was in the 4.70 range as late as 3 starts before the end of the season though his peripherals had started to tank already and his gsc were getting consistently worse. I think at this point it should be pretty clear he can't pitch a full season. This is the second year in a row where he had some injury concerns in the 2nd half and complete tanked the final month or so.

Everything about Suppan screams long man/spot starter at this point and I think that is the role he ends up with. He has never been a good pitcher but I think he needs to stay fresh to be effective in any way and he just can't do that as a full time starter anymore. I don't think he is so bad though that he needs to just be dumped given the relative lack of depth of our rotation.

The rest of the moves we make will be dumping whichever fringe guys don't do well in spring training, too hard to predict that. None of these names like Irrabaren, Inglett or Oltjen are likely to be more than career backups so they aren't commodities that have to be worried about.

Here's what I've got:

SP: Gallardo, Wolf, Davis, Parra, Bush

MRP: Suppan (with some spot starts), Vargas, Villanueva

LHP: Stetter, Narveson

SU: Hawkins, Coffey

CL: Hoffman

C: Gregg Zaun, George Kottaras

1B: Prince Fielder

2B: Rickie Weeks

3B: Casey McGehee, Mat Gamel

SS: Alcides Escobar

LF: Ryan Braun

CF: Carlos Gomez

RF: Corey Hart, Jody Gerut

IF: Craig Counsell

First to miss roster: Narveson, Villanueva, Kottaras, Gamel

Replacements: Loe, Lofgren, Treanor, Heether, Edmonds

I think the biggest issue is what to do with Gamel. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers left Gamel in AAA for a while or even possibly the majority of the year, in order to get an extra year of service, putting McGehee and Heether on the big club. If McGehee can still play 2B (don't see why he couldn't), he will be a solid injury replacement for Weeks, at which point Gamel would likely be called up to start at 3rd.

Starters: Wolf, Yo, Davis, Parra and Bush

Long Man/Spot Starter: Suppan

Middle Relief: Vargas, Narveson, Stetter

Setup: Coffey, Hawkins

Closer: Hoffman

1B: Fielder

2B: Weeks

SS: Escobar

3B: McGehee

LF: Braun

CF: Gomez

RF: Hart

C: Zaun

IF: Counsell

IF: Inglett or Iribarren

OF: Gerut

OF: Edmonds

C: Lucroy

The Brewers do not have enough SP depth to get rid of Suppan, so I see him as the long man until someone gets hurt, when he or Narveson will step into the starting rotation. Being a lefty, Narveson won't be a true "long man," and will get more regular work in the 'pen than Suppan. I think Villanueva and Heether will both be sent to AAA so that the Brewers don't lose other players who are around the same talent level (Narveson/Iribarren/Inglett). I'd guess Inglett will win out the race vs. Iribarren as long as Edmonds shows any sign of life, as he plays more IF positions. If Edmonds is completely terrible, then Iribarren will make the roster as backup IF/OF, with Inglett and Counsell as backup IF. Iribarren could provide more long-term value to the team than Edmonds, but if Edmonds can somehow still hit righties at the .900+ OPS level he did a couple years ago, then I think we've seen the last of Hernan as a Brewer.

I agree with the previous poster who said that a big reason for signing Zaun was to tutor Lucroy at the major league level, and Lucroy should see 2-3 starts/week, which should allow him to continue to develop.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree with the previous poster who said that a big reason for signing Zaun was to tutor Lucroy at the major league level, and Lucroy should see 2-3 starts/week, which should allow him to continue to develop.

With Macha as manager, I have serious doubts that Lucroy could see 2-3 starts per week, unfortunately.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rotation

Wolf

Gallardo

Davis

Bush

Parra

Starters

Weeks

Hart/Zaun

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Zaun/Hart

Gomez

Escobar

Bullpen

Hoffman

Hawkins

Coffey

Stetter

Narveson

Suppan

Vargas

Bench

Gerut(with at lest one start a week in CF)

Edmonds

Counsell

Treanor

Inglett

The only thing that would really upset me is if Salome, Lucroy, or Gamel make the MLB team as a backup. I would hate to see those guys wasting service time as backups. I the case of the catchers we could bring them up after a couple months and not miss out on much mentoring from Zaun while gaining a year in 2016 where both are likely to be much better. McGehee could very easily play himself out of a job within a couple months or repeat last year's numbers. I am still not convinced his 2009 is what we should expect.

I think they keep Suppan around at least until mid-season to see how their minor league guys do.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Good point on the service time, Logan. It would make sense to hold off on calling Lucroy or Salome up for a couple of months to save a year of service time.

TooLiveBrew, I agree, but I'm trying to convince myself that Macha's not as bad as I think he is. Plus I still believe that Kendall takes compromising photos of managers at the beginning of the season and threatens to use them if he doesn't play everyday. Most backup catchers see a decent amount of playing time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Zaun has been injured and put on the DL 4 of the past 5 seasons, I'd say his annual DL trip is the perfect time to bring up whichever young C is doing the best and see if they stick or not.
Yeah I agree with that. I think Salome(28 days service time) would need to stay down about a month and a half and Lucroy(no service time) just under a month. My guess is that they would just call up Salome unless he really stinks since he is already on the 40-man roster. As of right now anyway. A few spots on the 40-man should open up later in spring training.

It takes 172 days of service time to collect a year and a season is generally 183 days long.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's early yet, but here's my gut feeling:

MRP: Suppan, Vargas

LHP: Stetter, Narveson

SU: Hawkins, Coffey

CL: Hoffman

C: Gregg Zaun

1B: Prince Fielder

2B: Rickie Weeks

3B: Casey McGehee

SS: Alcides Escobar

LF: Ryan Braun

CF: Carlos Gomez

RF: Corey Hart

Bench: Craig Counsell, Joe Inglett, Jody Gerut, Jim Edmonds, George Kottaras

First to miss roster: Villanueva, Gamel, Lucroy, Salome, Schoenweiss

Replacements: Loe, Lofgren, Treanor, Heether, Iribarren, Oeljien

I think Bush will win the #5 spot if he's healthy. If not, Narveson will have the inside track. A lot to be decided there in Spring. Keep an eye on Loe. He might be a guy that will make an impact this season. If Lofgren pitches his behind off and impresses in camp I would not be surprised to see them bite the bullet and release Suppan.

Villanueva is going to be the odd man out because he has options, if everyone stays healthy (a huge if).

I think Gamel will go to Nashville and spend some time in the outfield along with 3B. He could be a Hart replacement down the line, or replace McGehee if (when?) he comes back to earth. Lucroy and Salome will split time in Nashville for at least the first month. I think you will see Lucroy at some point by midseason. Salome has a lot to prove this Spring to see if he's going to be a spec or not.

I think Schoenweiss has too much stacked against him between guys with salaries, guys with options, etc.

Treanor is a non-factor. I think that Melvin is enamored with Kottaras a little bit and I don't blame him. As a backup he's a good one. Heether is going to get beat out by Inglett, just a gut feeling. I think Edmonds still has plenty in the tank and will beat out Iribarren and Oeljein for the last bench spot handily, and could end up seeing some ample playing time against the toughest righties in center field all season.

This, of course, doesn't take into consideration any trades that might happen during the Spring and I think there will be one or two towards the end of Spring for sure. I would not be surprised to see the Brewers send someone (Salome comes immediately to mind) to the Indians to keep Lofgren. I think the Brewers have soured on Salome and it's going to take a lot for him to change their minds this spring.

I too think Kotteras will be cut & they will go with the

non sexy pick in Trenor because his is a righty & he belongs to the

international brotherhood of back up catchers. Lucroy & Salomone

need to their at bats.They need a righty off the bench & being

Heether can play a number of positions I think he gets the 25th man

award.I think Gerut will get outplayed by Oetjen in spring leading to

Gerut getting cut. Although I dont feel sold on this quite yet.Inglett

could be the surprise of the spring. I think he will be the 1st man off

the bench and playing 3rd occaionally to give Mcghee a day off. I also

think he will become a fan favorite.

Let me take back a few things.

Oetjen out---- Norris Hopper in

Heether out----Gerut back in

Bench: Craig Counsell, Joe Inglett, Jody Gerut, Jim Edmonds, George Kottaras

I really think they need a right hander or two on the bench. As of right now that would be Heether,Norris Hopper or Matt Trenor. Im guessing they may platoon either Gerut or Edmonds with Hart leaving Hart on the bench at times.

Man, I think this is a tough one this year.

Long: Vargas, Narveson

Middle: Coffey, Hawkins, Stetter

Closer: Hoffman

I think the biggest surprise of Spring Training will be the cutting of Jeff Suppan. I think this will energize the clubhouse and fans alike. Lofgren, in a mini surpise, will be traded. Villy will be optioned in the beginning of the end for him.

Infield: Prince, Rickie, Escobar, McGehee

Outfield: Braun, Gomez, Hart

Catchers: Zaun, Kotteras

Bench: Edmonds, Gerut, Counsell, Inglett, right-handed bat from waivers or a small statue of Bud Selig that they can take on the road.

Gamel optioned.

I think the biggest surprise of Spring Training will be the cutting of Jeff Suppan. I think this will energize the clubhouse and fans alike

I think you are projecting here. What reason do you have to believe that the clubhouse will be better without Suppan?

I have to agree with that. I don't think there are any Brewers that the other players don't really like. Gamel is probably the closest thing and I really don't get the feeling he is disliked by his teammates. Fans on the other hand...

I blame Wang.

I don't necessarily want to see Suppan cut at this point. I think the ideal situation would be for him to be the long reliever/6th starter type out of the bullpen. At least he might be serviceable in that role, and then the $12 million they're spending on him this season isn't a complete and total waste.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't necessarily want to see Suppan cut at this point. I think the ideal situation would be for him to be the long reliever/6th starter type out of the bullpen. At least he might be serviceable in that role, and then the $12 million they're spending on him this season isn't a complete and total waste.

As long as he isn't starting over Bush, Parra, or Narveson. I'm fine with him on the roster.

I don't think anyone dislikes Soup. And in fact I think he's a positive influence in the clubhouse. But cutting a guy who isn't one of your 12 best pitchers will energize the pitchers and make them understand it's production that counts. That results on the field is what determines whether a player makes the squad or not. I did not mean to disparage Soup in the clubhouse. I'll probably be wrong because of the whole money thing, but I've got an inclination that's there's some pressure on Macha and Doug this year and they better create some excitement. So yeah, I'm going with the odd notion that they'll keep there 12 best pitchers.

So yeah, I'm going with the odd notion that they'll keep there 12 best pitchers.

There's nothing odd about keeping the 12 best pitchers, and I don't think you can find anyone arguing differently. The question is what makes one believe Narveson is a better pitcher than Suppan, when Suppan is healthy? Narveson has an ERA above 5 in the minors in 2 of his last 3 seasons and 3 of his last 5. In the minors. It's certainly possible that he has finally figured it out, and I wouldn't want to see him cut just because Suppan has a huge salary. But Suppan, as overpaid and unexciting as he is, can be a decent pitcher, and the Brewers will probably need more than 5 or 6 SP for this season.

I for one don't believe in keeping the 12 best pitchers. The 12th pitcher gets used rarely and in very low leverage situations(blowouts when the starter sucks). I would rather keep a journeyman for that spot than a young promising pitcher that has options and a future with our team.

I blame Wang.

Narveson is left hander who throws in the 90s, Suppan is a right hander who tops out at 87. Narveson can strike hitters out, Suppan can't. Narveson is Brewers property past this season. Suppan isn't. Now I think its really Narveson vs Villaneuva at this point and as long man Suppan is a fine option given the circumstances.

I for one don't believe in keeping the 12 best pitchers. The 12th pitcher gets used rarely and in very low leverage situations(blowouts when the starter sucks). I would rather keep a journeyman for that spot than a young promising pitcher that has options and a future with our team.
That would be awesome if we had any good young pitchers! I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Archived