Brewer Fanatic

Mark Mulder Retires (Latest: apparently not... reply #7)

ewizabeff

I'm not surprised. What was it, about a month ago that the Brewer brass went to look at him throw and he wasn't even throwing off a mound yet? Then they said something like, "we'll continue to monitor his progress", blah blah, blah, but reading between the lines the Brewers were clearly not impressed with what they saw and it was days later that Davis was signed.

I thought the reports were he was throwing off a mound, but he couldn't reproduce his arm slot and was wild.

This drops the invited pitchers to ST to 31. Including the probable 25 man pitchers that makes 14 Lefties.

Cappy, Schowenwise, Narveson, Wright, Halama, Waters, Cody, Lofgren, Wolf, Davis, Parra, Stetter, AJ Murray and Zach Braddoch

He's probably still hoping to squeeze a million or two out of Melvin with a little help from arm twisting by Macha and Peterson. Come on Doug, please move on, there's nothing to see here. They may as well inquire about Higuera's health if they want a washed up lefty with a torched rotator cuff.

Considering there might not even be room for him at Nashville if he were to sign, I don't think it's that much of a surprise. The Brewers were the only team really showing interest, and they've appeared to have moved on.

I imagine either Mulder has been telling close friends (Peterson, Eric Chavez, etc) that he doesn't think he can make the comeback without telling his agent the same thing, or he's just making on last-ditch effort to drum up interest (sort of like Washburn threatening retirement). Either way, I think the Brewers are done with him, and it's probably for the better.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived