Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez fires Scott Boras; Latest: signs with Cardinals (reply #30)

JohnBriggs12
hence the sliding scale. "Where" weighs very heavily on MY sliding scale as evidenced by where I choose to live and in proximity to whom and what (Green Bay, Family, my job). Every person (or in this case, player) will be different and some would probably fit well with Boras. I'm guessing that if players and/or their agents valued family stability and maintaining existing organizational and community relationships more they would be more satisfied with their career than if they made a few million more (or in some cases less) chasing dollars around.

Coudl eh come back? At $2m possibly (no Inglett isn't standing in his way) but Lopez likely wants a guaranteed starting position so he can tried to get paid next year.
I wouldn't mind seeing Lopez come back for a pretty cheap deal like that one, but I'd prefer to wait until Spring Training starts to see where Rickie's at in terms of shaking off the rust. I'd keep Lopez's number on speed dial if Rickie's still not feeling 100% or if he re-injures the wrist (the absolute worst case scenario). Of course, I don't think Lopez waits around that long...the Cards probably find enough money to scrape together a one year deal before that happens.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Brewers are stretched really thin on payroll. With Hart eating up a few $100k more than they thought, they might not have another $2 mil to simply give to Lopez. If Weeks goes down/is ineffective, they might just go with McGehee/Counsell/Inglett. They have plenty of options behind Weeks as long ad there isn't a spate of other injuries.

The reality is that these things are worth something and Boras doesn't value them in the least because they don't benefit him. If players ever figure this out, Boras will fade away into irrelevance. That's how I want to see him go out.

There will always be players who want as much money as possible with no regard for anything else. Nothing wrong with it if that in a work situation but it does mean there will always be a place for an agent who gets max dollars for his clients. Boras' problem may have more to do with not getting the max like he used to. It seems like he hasn't quite caught up with the new reality of baseball economics. He still seems to be caught in the old paradigm that salaries always go up for players. If he was in banking he would have been one of the guys who were surprised when housing prices didn't just go up forever.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 2 weeks later...

Counsell has a better career OBP than Lopez, and considerably better

defense. Both of them hit well above their career numbers last year. The choice between the two isn's so obvious. Lopez is only fit to play second base every day, and even there he's no world-beater. Counsell can play ever infield position better than any of the Brewers regulars (save for maybe Escobar now). I don't know that the Brewers really "chose" between Lopez and Counsell, but if so, I'm happy they went with Counsell.

I remember hearing that he may have carried some "baggage" with him, possibly not a good team guy.

In light of that, I find this quote from him interesting:

"I've wanted to be here for a long time. I've made a lot of changes, and it's going great so far."

The story never elaborates on what changes those were.

I would prefer Counsell as a backup. Lopez has been a pretty poor defender for much of his career and we absolutely horrid at SS. If we needed a 2B I would prefer Lopez. I think Counsell's performance would drop of dramatically if he had to start 5+ games a week.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived