Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez fires Scott Boras; Latest: signs with Cardinals (reply #30)

JohnBriggs12

According to MLB trade rumors it was first reported by ESPN's Jayson Stark.

It's interesting that 2 Boras clients, Lopez and Washburn have not found deals. How long before Washburn fires him? Those 2 might be better off waiting for a team to lose someone to injury now.

Yeah, I mentioned this in the Fielder thread the other day. It seems like some of Boras' clients haven't been doing well this year. You mentioned Washburn, and Damon is of course still out there.

Lopez would probably be best taking a decent one year deal at this point, hope to have a strong year again, and then hopefully set himself up for a multi-year deal next off-season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Orlando Hudson got a 1 yr/$5M deal... I'm really surprised Lopez hasn't found anything similar. I wonder if he's going to be able to duplicate last year's 1 yr./$3.5M deal now. He would've been a perfect fit for the Mets, if they had any money left to spend.

Boras's strongarm tactics have really fallen short this offseason overall. I can't blame Lopez for wanting to move on.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, Boras has had a few misses, but he did get a huge deal for Hollilday. There's probably been some other successes I'm forgetting off hand. What he did in regards to Damon is pretty laughable, though.

His old tactics certainly don't seem to be working any more. Teams have wised up, and aren't shelling out huge money for non-elite players due to the economy.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Boras also replaced Lopez with Kendry Morales, who signed on a day after he lost Lopez. Morales will be heading into arbitration next offseason and figures to get a big pay raise...I'd say Boras isn't sweating this too much.

While it has been a rough offseason for Lopez, Johnny Damon, and Jarrod Washburn, Boras has been able to find new homes (or new contracts) for Rick Ankiel, Adrian Beltre, Matt Holliday, Mike Gonzalez and Xavier Nady. Just like any agent, he wins some and he loses some. I can't blame Lopez for getting antsy without a job and less than a week left before pitchers and catchers start reporting, but the second baseman market has been weak as a whole, and that's something he can't really blame Boras for.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I've been away, so I'm sure this has been discussed already, but how good does the team's decision not to offer Lopez arby look now? At the time I was really annoyed; of all the arby-eligibles, I figured Lopez was the surest bet to decline and yield the draft picks. Maybe he would have declined, because he was optimistic, but subsequent events have shown that the Brewers made the rational call based on the market.

I agree about arbitration. I was very unhappy with Melvin for not offering arby to Lopez and Cameron. As it turns out, Lopez remains unsigned and Cameron got less money than he would have accepting arby. Melvin was certainly more astute than I gave him credit for.

Does anybody here have a good understanding of the dynamics between a player and an agent? What role does the player have in the negotiations? Specifically, can a player who is employing an agent sign a deal that the agent doesn't approve of?

I've been away, so I'm sure this has been discussed already, but how good does the team's decision not to offer Lopez arby look now?

About the same. Even though Lopez hasn't signed yet that doesn't mean he would have accepted arbitration. The fact that Lopez fired Boras makes me think Boras overvalues Lopez and would not have accepted arbitration.

Boras only cares about money not a players welfare. Money and a players welfare lineup with elite players but if you are not an elite player you are better off with a different agent.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Teams have wised up, and aren't shelling out huge money for non-elite players due to the economy.

This seems to be the case. It's like with any other commodity: if you have something that you can hold out for huge money for because of it's scarcity and value, you can end up raking in the cash. However, if you have a commodity for which there are many cheaper substitutes, holding out for more money leaves you with commodities that rot in storage somewhere. There are numerous substitutes for Lopez and Washburn, but relatively few for Prince or Alex Rodriguez.

Don't like what he wants for Washburn? Sign Davis. Don't like what he wants for Prince? Better hope you can make up that offense by making multiple upgrades at other positions.

Is there a scenario where we bring Lopez back?
Hard to see one barring another major injury to a middle infielder or the highly unlikely scenario of a trade involving Weeks. Once they brought back Counsel and now have Inglett in the picture too, it eliminated the possibility for him to be a super sub that played all over 4-5 times a week.

It's too bad he can't play CF. A lineup of Lopez instead of Gomez would be very tough.

I'm glad Felipe fired Boras; however I would have been much happier if he had fired at Boras.
Not me, that would just martyr the guy and I would not be able to tolerate it. I'm just waiting for guys to figure out that Boras only cares about total dollars for his own benefit. He places zero value on "non-monetary" things like playing in the same city, not have to move, consistency in kids schools, being comfortable with a team/organization, being loved by fans and the city, etc... How many times do you see players change teams and end up regretting it for various reasons and/or performing at a lower level?

The reality is that these things are worth something and Boras doesn't value them in the least because they don't benefit him. If players ever figure this out, Boras will fade away into irrelevance. That's how I want to see him go out.

The reality is that these things are worth something and Boras doesn't value them in the least because they don't benefit him. If players ever figure this out, Boras will fade away into irrelevance. That's how I want to see him go out.

He's too good of salesman for this to happen. He would have to really slip up and mutter some insensitive comments in public or to one of his clients for this to happen. He's got most his clients believing he cares about them and has their best interests in mind, regardless of what reality dictates.

Lopez became a FA during a downturn with a glut of 2B on the market and he's been known to quit on teams before. Not sure what people were expecting to see. Coudl eh come back? At $2m possibly (no Inglett isn't standing in his way) but Lopez likely wants a guaranteed starting position so he can tried to get paid next year.

It's joke. I don't do blue.
Whoops. My bad. I missed the "at" in the second part of your statement.

As far as Lopez, I hope he comes on with someone, somewhere. I enjoyed watching him play during his time here, and didn't see evidence of him being a "punk" or "dogging it" as some fans have said. Yes, he had a couple mental lapses in the field, but I can live with that given his production. At this point he may be smart to wait things out, and when some starting 2B gets injured, he could be a nice option as a mid-season signing.

Not all players value those things. Fans in general value things like that far more than players do.
I agree, that's why Boras has been successful. I'm waiting for the players to wake up; however....

He's too good of salesman for this to happen. He would have to really slip up and mutter some insensitive comments in public or to one of his clients for this to happen. He's got most his clients believing he cares about them and has their best interests in mind, regardless of what reality dictates.
I also agree with this. I tend to live in a bit of a fantasy world though, so I'll hold out hope.

Why do you say you're waiting for the players to wake up? It's not like athletes are any different from any other segment of the populace. Some will value money first & foremost, some won't. Fans like when players take hometown discounts, etc., but really there's nothing anyone's going to be 'waking up' from imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

True, I am projecting my own value system there. I guess specifically I would like Boras' clients to realize that he places zero value on what should have at least SOME value on a sliding scale depending on the person's values. If someone has an agent acting on their behalf that does not take an important piece of the puzzle into account, they should "wake up" and realize that this person does not have their total best interest in mind.

"If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive." I know you'll be able to spot that one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived