Jimbo

First one in.

Opening Ceremonies tonight.

Events I look forward to seeing:

Bobsled

Alpine Skiing

Speed Skating

Biathlon

A year ago I looked into getting tickets, but just a tad outside what we could afford. Who knows when it returns to North America?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bobsled, luge, snowboarding, skiing, and speed skating.

I enjoy the winter olympics, but there is always a large emphasis on figure skating in prime time which i couldn't care about. The first week is always good with skiing and speed skating though.

Link

WHISTLER -- Tragedy struck at the Whistler Sliding Centre Friday morning when Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, 21, flew off the track at high speed, smashed into a metal girder and died.

At 12:15 p.m. International Olympic Committee official Thomas Bach confirmed he was dead.

"It is with great regret that we confirm the death of the Georgian luge athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili during the final training session at Whistler Sliding Centre," read a statement released by the IOC.

"Mr. Kumaritashvili died after crashing on the last corner of the course during training. Doctors were unable to revive the athlete, who died in hospital.

"Our first thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues of the athlete. The whole Olympic family is struck by this tragedy, which clearly casts a shadow over these Games," said IOC president Jacques Rogge.

Good grief. What a horrible accident.

EDIT: Saw this story via Deadspin, which also has followed up with this post, with multiple lugers commenting on how dangerous they felt the Whistler track was. Don't watch the embedded video clip at the bottom of this post if you don't want to watch this man die. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Holy crap. How awful.

In a different direction, how sick are NBC executives right now over Lindsey Vonn's injury? They were already siphoning money on the Olympics. After Conan's disaster, I can't say I'm not taking enjoyment from that.

From what I've heard, the ski slopes may not even be ready. It was the warmest January almost ever in Vancouver and they are frantically trying to get enough snow.

Maybe they'll just have to take off the ski's and run down to the bottom.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I felt queasy when the New York Times posted the image of him hurdling through the air (before impact) when the news first broke this afternoon. I couldn't believe NBC (repeatedly) showed it without much warning. The instances I saw on other networks (mostly ABC, both the local affiliate and the World News) at least gave the warning for jarring content.

Just the way the momentum was stopped instantly..ugh. I just hope there are no more luge/skeleton/bobsled incidents on that track in the coming weeks.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I am absolutely disgusted with NBC. I can't believe they are repeatedly showing this video and even have it posted on their website. I cannot think of a single good reason why they would show this footage. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if they are showing the footage for ratings and to hype up the olympics. I hope that is not the case.

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Oh, I'm absolutely with you on the ratings angle, jj. No question about it.

I watched the Opening Ceremony until they interviewed Shaun White about snowboarding tricks. I mean, a guy DIED today, and we're supposed to enjoy hearing White laugh about his halfpipe tricks? I had to turn it off at that point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The opening ceremony was pretty tedious.

It is weird to think about a guy having died there today. It almost seems like they should have canceled the ceremony but of course people are always dying and life always goes on. It's hard to know how to act around death. I don't think it's necessarily callous to enjoy something in the aftermath of a death but maybe it is. The problem with that though is that someone dies literally every second of every day. It's just that people who die in public places or ways tend to make people examine their own mortality. I don't know what the answer is about what to do after someone dies.

I absolutely love Olympic Hockey.
The coach for the German team has said, whenever his team gets a 5 on 3 advantage, he's pulling his goalie and playing 6 on 3.

I can't wait to see that.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

They had four athletes with four torches, and the final thing was supposed to be four pillars coming out of the ground angling up to the main tower. Each athlete was supposed to light one pillar simultaneously to shoot up to the big tower.

Except there was like a two or three minute delay, and then only three pillars came up. One woman was forced to just stand there while the other three lit their pillar.

Archived