Brewer Fanatic

The art of boo'ing

brewtank34
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
1) When your team just gave up a 3+ run lead in any given inning...more drastic boos of course in that later innings.

2) When your pitcher gives up back to back HR's

3) When you see a player not hustling (AKA: Johnny Estrada)

4) When your team has lost 7+ games in a row.

5) When a player calls out the organization or fans in a negative way

6) When Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, any Cub batter/pitcher, etc comes to bat. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

7) When your manager makes a horrible decision which causes your team to lose the game or lead.

This thread sums up one of the few reasons why I am sometimes embarrassed to be a Brewers fan.

1) Do you think the team does not realize that they gave up a 3-run lead and/or that their fans might not be happy about it?

2) I'm sure the pitcher feels great that he just gave up back-to-back jacks. Why add insult to injury? In college basketball, if a team just gave up a few buckets, it is standard for the home crowd to cheer them on as they come down the court. Why not cheer a team/player after a tough inning to show support?

4) Once again, I am sure the team is just thrilled to lose 7 games in a row. It would never have any effect on their pride or momentum...

5) Generally, players have called out the fans/organization because of booing--so the correct response is obviously to boo them more!

7) As we have seen on these forums, virtually all managerial decisions are debatable. What happens if a manager makes a horrible decision but it works anyway--should we still boo them?

As for when I think booing is appropriate:

1) Lack of effort--although that one is still debatable

2) The opposition--we want to create a home field advantage, right?

3) Players who have knowingly cheated/taken steroids

4) Bad umpiring

Obviously, every fan has a "right" to boo. But the players also have a "right" to be upset about it and a "right" to sign in a different city in free agency. They are human after all, and there is no reason why they should tolerate it if there are fans in other cities who will give them more support.

obseessed, I actually agree with pretty much everything you said. For the rights of the fans, I put those examples down, but I actually feel embarressed to be a Brewer fan as well when I hear hears at many of those times as well. It does not surprise me if players get frustrated with the fans here.

Take Hall for instance, he couldn't get over the ridicule and boo'ing from the fans. Some can, some can't. It comes with the price of playing the sport, but we as fans need to understand that it can be just as difficult to the player to get out of their slump if the fans continue to boo them...AKA Parra.

Booing and cheering are a part of sports. Most of the time I will not boo my team's players, but if the team has a really bad inning (giving up 5 runs in a row or something like that) or someone does something stupid or lazy, fans have an accepted right to boo. It's part of the game.

Yes, I do agree though it is dumb to boo a slumping player. It's not like they don't know they are struggling.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's OK to boo....

- the opponent

- Gary Sheffield

- the umps

- Ann Ladd

It's OK to boo your own team when

- they don't hustle

- they commit like 7 errors in a row

- they lose like 10 games in a row

- they get arrested

No other real reason to boo your own team.

It's especially not OK to boo when it appears something bad MIGHT happen, but it has not, in fact, happened yet. Like a relief pitcher that has struggled walks the first guy he faces in a tight game. Maybe wait until he actually allows the tying/lead run to score before jumping on the guy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

1) When your team just gave up a 3+ run lead in any given inning...more drastic boos of course in that later innings.

2) When your pitcher gives up back to back HR's

3) When you see a player not hustling (AKA: Johnny Estrada)

4) When your team has lost 7+ games in a row.

5) When a player calls out the organization or fans in a negative way

6) When Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, any Cub batter/pitcher, etc comes to bat. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

7) When your manager makes a horrible decision which causes your team to lose the game or lead.

This thread sums up one of the few reasons why I am sometimes embarrassed to be a Brewers fan.

1) Do you think the team does not realize that they gave up a 3-run lead and/or that their fans might not be happy about it?

2) I'm sure the pitcher feels great that he just gave up back-to-back jacks. Why add insult to injury? In college basketball, if a team just gave up a few buckets, it is standard for the home crowd to cheer them on as they come down the court. Why not cheer a team/player after a tough inning to show support?

4) Once again, I am sure the team is just thrilled to lose 7 games in a row. It would never have any effect on their pride or momentum...

5) Generally, players have called out the fans/organization because of booing--so the correct response is obviously to boo them more!

7) As we have seen on these forums, virtually all managerial decisions are debatable. What happens if a manager makes a horrible decision but it works anyway--should we still boo them?

As for when I think booing is appropriate:

1) Lack of effort--although that one is still debatable

2) The opposition--we want to create a home field advantage, right?

3) Players who have knowingly cheated/taken steroids

4) Bad umpiring

Obviously, every fan has a "right" to boo. But the players also have a "right" to be upset about it and a "right" to sign in a different city in free agency. They are human after all, and there is no reason why they should tolerate it if there are fans in other cities who will give them more support.

EXACTLY. Thats why I am HAPPY I am not a NY fan or a CHI fan. We dont do that in Milwaukee. Its dumb to boo your own, and I am embarrassed to call the ones that do boo my own.

Just dont boo Corey, its that simple, there is no point too.

obseessed, I actually agree with pretty much everything you said. For the rights of the fans, I put those examples down, but I actually feel embarressed to be a Brewer fan as well when I hear hears at many of those times as well. It does not surprise me if players get frustrated with the fans here.

Take Hall for instance, he couldn't get over the ridicule and boo'ing from the fans. Some can, some can't. It comes with the price of playing the sport, but we as fans need to understand that it can be just as difficult to the player to get out of their slump if the fans continue to boo them...AKA Parra.

You cant even call that booing, wait till Hall gets to Boston and slumps, what will he do then?

You cant call a few thousand drunken idiots "fans"

An educational discussion requires more than subjective opinions, which is all this thread can offer

Fact: booing the brewers at home does not help the team. (please try to argue this point). Why would a brewer fan act in a manner detrimental to the organization? I know sometimes your drunk or you really despise wes helms, but understand when you boo current or former players it has a very negative effect on the team. And this effect is not limited to in-game outcomes, it spills over to player opinion/morale and FA signings.

I would like some proof that it has a detrimental effect on the team. Please provide statistical evidence to this "fact" (I bet you can't). That is what we call an opinion http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. I could point out the fact that the city most known for booing, Philly, has been the best team in the NL as of late so it sure doesn't seem to be hurting them.

No one here, however, is stating that booing makes players play better. Part of attending a sporting event is the opportunity to express pleasure and displeasure. That is the right of any fan to do so as he pleases as long as it is done in a non-violent manner. It's part of the game, and any player who gets upset about it clearly needs to develop a thicker spine. They are paid to play in a public arena, the people in the arena are (via their ticket sales) employing them. Part of working for the public, especially in sports, is dealing with both positive and negative feedback.

As I've pointed out, I do not boo often, I can count on one hand the number of times I did. But I reserve the right to express my displeasure as a fan, especially if a player squeezes out every last dime and goes on to play horribly (remember, in some respects, we as fans are paying his salary).

I would like some proof that it has a detrimental effect on the team. Please provide statistical evidence to this "fact" (I bet you can't). That is what we call an opinion http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. I could point out the fact that the city most known for booing, Philly, has been the best team in the NL as of late so it sure doesn't seem to be hurting them.

No one here, however, is stating that booing makes players play better. Part of attending a sporting event is the opportunity to express pleasure and displeasure. That is the right of any fan to do so as he pleases as long as it is done in a non-violent manner. It's part of the game, and any player who gets upset about it clearly needs to develop a thicker spine. They are paid to play in a public arena, the people in the arena are (via their ticket sales) employing them. Part of working for the public, especially in sports, is dealing with both positive and negative feedback.

As I've pointed out, I do not boo often, I can count on one hand the number of times I did. But I reserve the right to express my displeasure as a fan, especially if a player squeezes out every last dime and goes on to play horribly (remember, in some respects, we as fans are paying his salary).

Philly doesnt really boo their own, just opposing.

I would like some proof that it has a detrimental effect on the team.
I don't see how anyone who witnessed Derrick Turnbow's struggles could make this demand. Turnbow was a head case, and the chorus of boos certainly aided in the whittling of his confidence.

Booing only hurts the team/player being booed. There's really no debating that.

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with the "booing is only detrimental" stuff. I think booing can absolutely be a motivational tool. On one hand, it may provide a shot of adrenaline. "Oh, these people think I suck, well watch this..." There are lots of players who channel anger into production. Gary Sheffield was one such player and said he loved going into a stadium and getting booed. Obviously he was booed for different reasons in Milwaukee, but I'm talking about later in his career.

Also, booing may be effective in the same way that scolding your kid is effective. No one likes to be booed. I'm pretty sure all the players are trying most of the time, but they are human beings. I think there are definitely some guys who are embarrassed to be booed. If a guy is caught spacing out during a routine play or not hustling on the bases, he might get embarrassed when he's called out for it. For some people, they won't care. But for some people, that's an incentive to not let it happen again.

Some guys really seem to let the booing get to them (Turnbow, Parra) but I think there are definitely some players who feed off of it. Nothing wrong with letting a player have it when he's not doing his job. They make lots of money. They should be able to handle most of the stuff fans throw at them. Personally, I don't boo Suppan when he tanks - I don't think he's trying to tank and I don't think booing him helps him out. But I'm not going to say that no one should boo a struggling player. It's really your call, and it doesn't bother me if you want to boo the guy. I'm just not going to. But I won't sit on some St. Louis Cardinals-esque pedestal and tell you what the proper etiquette is.

I don't know why some people care so much about this topic, but my view is booing is not 'classless'. I generally don't boo very often, because I really don't like to draw attention to myself. That said, I think booing serves two purposes.. Most importantly to send a message to management- when Suppan is booed off the mound after giving up 11 baserunners in 3 plus innings, I think it's a good thing. It shows management that fans are frustrated watching him trotted out there just because of his contract even though his chances of success are slim at best. The other purpose of booing is to harass former team members who discredited Milwaukee either with their actions while here or with their mouth after leaving. Case in point, I waited for about 11 years to give Sheffield the business. I also had a lot of fun booing Terrell Brandon every time he touched the ball on his first visit back to the Bradley Center.

It shows management that fans are frustrated watching him trotted out there just because of his contract even though his chances of success are slim at best.

Like others have said about similar situations. Management knows fans are unhappy when players perform poorly. There really is no need to show displeasure by booing. Would teams continue to trot out bad players and teams even if fans didn't boo? Management either cares to win or they don't. Fans making noise like baboons makes little difference.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

EXACTLY. Thats why I am HAPPY I am not a NY fan or a CHI fan. We dont do that in Milwaukee. Its dumb to boo your own, and I am embarrassed to call the ones that do boo my own.

Just dont boo Corey, its that simple, there is no point too.

I'm a Yankees fan and I have never booed someone on the team. I've cursed and put my head in my hands (Knoblauch, Abreu and walls) but I just can't understand booing your own team. These are professional athletes, they know when they're underperforming, so to me booing seems a misdirection of anger.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can almost guarantee that people will boo Corey Hart on opening day. Had he not won arbitration, they would not have. To me, that is nonsensical booing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Because fans can be dumb. There are some former Brewers where that makes sense - Sheffield. But when they boo guys who weren't invited back to the team, and even some who were vocal about wanting to stay, it blows my mind. Like I said before, McClung will get booed when he comes back to Miller Park.

I've always taken the booing of former Brewers by the fans at Miller Park as more of a razzing thing then being really malicious by the fans. I think it's more of a "This guy used to be a Brewer, let's boo him in good fun", then a "This guy is a traitor, let's boo him because we hate his guts", type of thing. At least that is how I feel about it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's pathetic that when booing is discussed it's assumed the booing is directed at the home team. The Brewers might win games by stealing the Squad 6 concept from Andrew Bogut and compensating fans to create more of a home field advantage. If you really need proof that booing has a detrimental effect there is a 1983 University of Illinois study titled "Spectator Booing and the Home Field Advantage". http://www.jstor.org/pss/3033796

In "The Glory of Their Times" a book consisting of mostly deadball era players recounting their experiences one player attributed losing the World Series to New York Giants fans intimidating his team.

Invader3K]I've always taken the booing of former Brewers by the fans at Miller Park as more of a razzing thing then being really malicious by the fans. I think it's more of a "This guy used to be a Brewer, let's boo him in good fun", then a "This guy is a traitor, let's boo him because we hate his guts", type of thing. At least that is how I feel about it.

I agree with this for the most part.

Also, I'm generally booing the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back. Yeah, I enjoyed watching Jeromy Burnitz when he was a Brewer....but he's out on the field wearing a Pirates jersey. I want the Pirates to lose the game. So booooooooooooooooo. (Couldn't think of a more recent example http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Archived