Brewer Fanatic

The art of boo'ing

brewtank34

So with all the talk about Hart's arby case, and reading some of your posts, I wanted to get a different discussion going. When is it ok to boo? I know a lot of you are going to say that it's a fan's right to boo whenever they feel, thus the term Fanatic! I for one think differently, and believe there are certain times and situations that are worthy of boos, and times/sitautions that don't.

When it's ok to boo:
1) When your team just gave up a 3+ run lead in any given inning...more drastic boos of course in that later innings.
2) When your pitcher gives up back to back HR's
3) When you see a player not hustling (AKA: Johnny Estrada)
4) When your team has lost 7+ games in a row.
5) When a player calls out the organization or fans in a negative way
6) When Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, any Cub batter/pitcher, etc comes to bat. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
7) When your manager makes a horrible decision which causes your team to lose the game or lead.

When it's not ok to boo:
1) When someone is in a slump. It's not like they're not trying to get out of the slump. Remember, the good players only get a hit 3 out of every 10 at bats.
2) When a player is trying to make money for himself and his family.
3) When you were cheering for the person just a month prior for being good. (ie: bandwagoning, same as #1)

Please add your examples...my main point I guess is that I think it's ok to boo the team, but to boo an individual player is walking a thin line when reviewing the ethics of boo'ing. It just bothers me that so many people will boo their team/players for some basic impairments of the game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As OldSchoolSnapper stated, it is well within the right of the paying customer to express his pleasure/displeasure with the performance of the team or a certain individual on the team.

No one here has the right to try to lay down ethics on how a paying customer expresses their pleasure/displeasure as long as it remains non-violent.

So, Brewerpride, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You will violently show your displeasure to those who choose to express displeasure in a non-violent fashion.

So good that you can show us all how to properly show our displeasure. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Kudos. (and excellent use of all caps, it adds to the threat of violence).

Sure you have the right to boo someone, but it shows a complete lack of class most of the time people do it.

About the only time I would boo someone at a game is if they showed a lack of effort. Hitter hits a lazy pop up and doesn't run to first, guy drops ball but gets him out. That is about the only time I would personally boo a player.

So, Brewerpride, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You will violently show your displeasure to those who choose to express displeasure in a non-violent fashion.

So good that you can show us all how to properly show our displeasure. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Kudos. (and excellent use of all caps, it adds to the threat of violence).

Haha, well obviously people on here are a little sensitive and cant take a sarcastic remark.

Man people are so uptight these days.

Sure you have the right to boo someone, but it shows a complete lack of class most of the time people do it.

About the only time I would boo someone at a game is if they showed a lack of effort. Hitter hits a lazy pop up and doesn't run to first, guy drops ball but gets him out. That is about the only time I would personally boo a player.

In your opinion, it shows a lack of class. I don't think you can categorically state that booing is a classless act. You have the right to think what you will about booing and when it is justified to boo, and when it is not justified to boo. When it is classy, and when it is classless.

So much of this, however, looks to me as if it's a simple case of stroking one's ego. Look at how much better of a fan/person I am, I don't act like....

I can count on one hand the number of times I've boo-ed a baseball player, but I don't try to go around puffing up my ego because I boo less than others. If it's within their right to do it, who am I to judge?

In your opinion, it shows a lack of class. I don't think you can categorically state that booing is a classless act. You have the right to think what you will about booing and when it is justified to boo, and when it is not justified to boo. When it is classy, and when it is classless.

So much of this, however, looks to me as if it's a simple case of stroking one's ego. Look at how much better of a fan/person I am, I don't act like....

I can count on one hand the number of times I've boo-ed a baseball player, but I don't try to go around puffing up my ego because I boo less than others. If it's within their right to do it, who am I to judge?

I do not agree with booing your own. Ive never booed one of our own EVER. There is no point to it. None of them are bad people, and it doesnt make them play better either.

JUST DONT BOO HART, SIMPLE AS THAT.

ANYONE THAT BOO'S HART ON OPENING DAY, IM GOING TO WALK AROUND THE STADIUM AND SMACK EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM INDIVIDUALLY.

I'm gonna set up a booing tape recorder, just so i can find you frantically searching for someone, with your pimp hand locked, and loaded.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I apologize, but the point of this thread was to provide examples of when it's ok and when it's not ok to boo. I'm not saying that people who buy tickets don't have the right to boo...it was more intended to beof an educational discussion of when the time is ok to boo.

JUST DONT BOO HART, SIMPLE AS THAT.

ANYONE THAT BOO'S HART ON OPENING DAY, IM GOING TO WALK AROUND THE STADIUM AND SMACK EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM INDIVIDUALLY.

I'm gonna set up a booing tape recorder, just so i can find you frantically searching for someone, with your pimp hand locked, and loaded.

Hahahaha, ill be ready.

In your opinion, it shows a lack of class. I don't think you can categorically state that booing is a classless act.

He didn't. He said "most of the time."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I apologize, but the point of this thread was to provide examples of when it's ok and when it's not ok to boo. I'm not saying that people who buy tickets don't have the right to boo...it was more intended to beof an educational discussion of when the time is ok to boo.
An educational discussion requires more than subjective opinions, which is all this thread can offer.

Something showing class or not is always going to be opinion as is the majority of what people post on forums in general, so there is no need to qualify the statement.

My ethics: You bought a ticket, you can boo whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

I'm going to try this in the movie theatre tonight if I hate the movie my wife picks. I wonder how far that will get me.....heck, I paid for the ticket!

I'd say when everyone is booing (dropped pop fly, Bill Hall style base running, or in the direction of the opposition), its probably a good time to boo.

If you are booing, and there are people shaking their head at you or giving you dirty looks (because you are booing Wes Helms for just showing up to the park), its probably not a good time to be booing.

My ethics: You bought a ticket, you can boo whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

I'm going to try this in the movie theatre tonight if I hate the movie my wife picks. I wonder how far that will get me.....heck, I paid for the ticket!

Ridiculous comparison. The social norm at a movie theater is to be silent so that you and everyone around you can hear the movie. Someone else might like the movie and you are greatly inhibiting their ability to do that. A baseball game isn't an art gallery, one of the biggest reasons people go is to be "part of the moment" and make some noise. You can cheer, boo, scream, chant, whatever ... As long as it isn't profane or violent, you are pretty much allowed to voice your displeasure. This isn't a movie where the audio is crucial to your understanding of the plot.

Archived