Brewer Fanatic

Schlesinger fights proposed Cubs stadium tax in Arizona

Another reason to hate the Cubs.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/83931422.html

The Milwaukee Brewers and other teams in the Cactus League in

Arizona have hired a lobbyist to lead opposition to a proposal to enact

a ticket surchargeto help finance a new Chicago Cubs spring-training facility.

For the Brewers and other teams, the issue is simple. Why should

Brewers fans pay a surcharge on a Brewers spring-training ticket to

help the Cubs?

That's how Rick Schlesinger, the Brewers' executive president for business operations, sees it.

Schlesinger said he had not seen the proposed legislation, which

calls for a car-rental tax increase and the ticket surcharge. But he

said the Brewers have "serious concerns" about the plan.

"Our fans should not be funding the Cubs' new facility down there," he said. "There are strong elements of unfairness here."

Isn't Florida trying to actively recruit teams for spring training? Why don't they just move there if their park is so crappy. I can't believe something as ridiculous as this ticket surcharge would pass. Their fans should pay for it, not the whole Cactus League. And a car-rental tax to help pay for it? Seriously? Good grief.
Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Isn't Florida trying to actively recruit teams for spring training? Why don't they just move there if their park is so crappy. I can't believe something as ridiculous as this ticket surcharge would pass. Their fans should pay for it, not the whole Cactus League. And a car-rental tax to help pay for it? Seriously? Good grief.

I think the Cubs have threatened to move to Florida which is exactly why they are able to get AZ to do this. The Cubs far outdraw every other team down there and it's probably not even close. Their argument is probably that without them, everyone loses. And while they're probably right, they're still being jags about it. I hope no one caves to their demands.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

""Our fans should not be funding the Cubs' new facility down there,""

Good job making the argument against revenue sharing there Rick! Way to think ahead! Can't wait for the new Cubs owners to use that against you when revenue sharing comes up in the new CBA!

""Our fans should not be funding the Cubs' new facility down there,""

Good job making the argument against revenue sharing there Rick! Way to think ahead! Can't wait for the new Cubs owners to use that against you when revenue sharing comes up in the new CBA!
Yes, but would these new fees just pay for the Cubs' new stadium, or new stadiums for all the teams (or improvements to existing ones)? If it's not the latter, how can it be considered revenue sharing in any way, shape, or form?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's not revenue sharing in any way shape or form. It's the Cubs wanting money from other teams so they can make MORE MONEY for themselves! It's stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Revenue sharing? Is that what people are calling it? So if you all give me 1% of your annual salary so I can fix up my home and do that kitchen remodel I want to do, we'll just call that revenue sharing. I promise to invite you all over for a barbecue when its all done, BYOB of course.

being an AZ citizen (not in the Phoenix area, but still), I have a problem with this. Arizona is, like many states, in the red financially that it's not even funny. There are literally hundreds of programs and thousands of jobs that could be saved by using tax money for them instead of for a new Cubs facility.

I think it's great that more and more teams are flocking to Arizona for their spring training headquarters. But why should the taxpayers have to pay the majority of it when the state, itself, is going in the crapper.

This is probably too political of a post. I was trying not to be, but it needed to be said.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Revenue sharing? Is that what people are calling it? So if you all give me 1% of your annual salary so I can fix up my home and do that kitchen remodel I want to do, we'll just call that revenue sharing. I promise to invite you all over for a barbecue when its all done, BYOB of course.
Yes, yes... the "Save TheCrew07 Foundation" is also in need of monetary assistance, your donations are tax deductible!

I have no issues with stadium funding being done by the tax payers, without it Green Bay and Milwaukee both wouldn't be able compete in their respective sports. However, this is a spring training facility, not even where majority of the organization's players will play their games this upcoming season. It's simply a practice field and it should be privately financed... In fact, how about a stadium tax for the Chicago area so they can upgrade that dump they call Wrigley and the Spring Training facility?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

From what I understand, there's already a 17% car rental tax that pays for sports arenas in Arizona.
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/f72350f19e048b4c3e0b18a0c0c8b2655cc5fb5.jpg

Not quite 17%, but a flat fee. Along with a lot of other silly-arsed fees. Didn't know it was a privilege to do business with them.

That receipt is from Tucson. I think when you rent in Phoenix there is a Sports Area fee or something like that.

Rental Car fees are really popular ways of raising revenue in almost every major city. They figure its not impacting the residents since it's out of towners (and usually businesses) that are paying it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You had me at "Transaction Privilege Tax"... anyone want some tea?

they can upgrade that dump they call Wrigley and the Spring Training facility?

Yeah, but who would want to go watch a baseball game there??? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Just let the Cubs go to Florida! I want to Brewers to stay in AZ so I can combine Grand Canyon and Spring BB...

Archived