Brewer Fanatic

we're taking this thing nationals . . . or a record number of non-roster invitees?

djoctagone

i often make fun of the nationals when talking to a good friend. in recent years, they've invited 20 - 30 minor leaguers to big league camp. i criticize his team for not having faith in the 40 players already on the major league roster . . . why else would you give so many additional players a shot at breaking camp on the 25-man? furthermore, with that many players in camp, how can you effectively evaluate all of them?

with today's announcement of scott schoeneweis getting an invitation to big league camp, the brewers have 17 non-roster players invited to major league spring training.

17 is the highest i can remember in quite some time. i'm too lazy to dig through old media guides to count the number of non-roster invitees in years past . . . is 17 a record for the brewers?

(and much to my chagrin, according to the nationals' website, they only have 15 non-roster invitees thus far.)

Here's the list, now add Schoeneweis --

Three catchers, don't worry about their impact. You simply need them. Martin Maldonado won't be a bother to anyone.

The two high draft picks, Arnett and Heckathorn, will be sent to minor league camp after about a week's worth of spring training games.

Nothing to be concerned about here, it's not over the top.

Having so many NRI players doesn't bother me much. It likely won't take away any playing time, as instead of that playing time going to AAAA guys and other guys they bring over from minor league camp, now that PT will go to these NRI players. With 30 some spring training games, B-squad games, side sessions, and all of the other things that go on in spring training the more bodies the merrier.

As far as pitchers, most of the guys we'll be relying on to start the year are veterans who know what they need to do in order to rev up for the season. Even the young guys like Parra and Yo will be watched closely, but I'm sure they'll get their time in as well.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Yeah there are a bunch of NRIs but what really is being competed for? The 2nd catcher, the 5th OFer, the 2nd UI, and the last bullpen spot.
and the last bullpen spot will probably just go to whomever doesn't get the last rotation spot.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lots of guys in camp = Bad teams.

There's no way to properly evaluate players with 57 bodies in camp. Worse is there are now 31 pitchers, not counting Riske. Even given Arnett and Heckathorn are just there until minor league camp opens, as are Scarpetta and Periard, but there are 23, count em, 23 pitchers with major league experience in camp. They also have a rule 5 pick and a guy in Zach Braddock that deserves a long look, and a guy who impressed last September that's out of options in Narveson.

Some of the guys being brought in are redundant. Joe Inglett had much less impressive credentials at 25 than does Iribarren, but he's now got the edge for a bench job based on what amounts to one full major league season over a guy the Brewer will have to expose to waivers to send down. Matt Treanor? Are you kidding me? They wouldn't pay Mike Rivera an extra $150K or so, so they could bring in Matt Treanor? Trent Oeltjen and Logan Schafer potentially could have contributed this season and gone on to be significant contributors down the road, but now both will surrender AB's to nearly 40 year old Jim Edmonds.

djoctagone wrote:

(and much to my chagrin, according to the nationals' website, they only have 15 non-roster invitees thus far.)

with ron villone's invitation to big league camp as a non-roster player, the nationals are now tied with the brewers with 17 non-roster invitees. gives me a little bit of ammo when sparring with my friend (a nationals fan).

• 1 year later...

i realise this is an older thread, but when i saw the reports of jeff suppan becoming the 20th non-roster invitee for the padres, i recalled starting this thread.

glad to see that the brewers are keeping their non-roster invitee list to a reasonable number with just 14 players--and notably keeping verterans corey patterson and seth mcclung out of big league camp.

according to the twins' website, they have 25 non-roster invitees this year. 25!

I am all for a higher number. If anything it gives the younger guys a taste of the big leagues, and allows them to compete. Gets all the younger players in one place and probably makes it a little easier for Melvin or others to scout them all and see them play in person. Once the season kicks off all they have to go off is the local scouting reports and video.

• 10 months later...

rob wooten just became the 18th non-roster invitee to 2013 major league camp.

with a number of players expected to be absent from camp for the world baseball classic, and with the desperate need for a bullpen overhaul, the higher number makes sense.

It's used to be unusual when teams had 50+ players in camp in ST. Now it's the norm. The extra catchers are around so that pitchers have guys to throw to. Once minor league camp opens, those guys will move over there. Most ST sites now are so close to minor league camps that they are virtually interchangeable. Guys in major league camp will be playing in minor league games and vice versa. They'll be plenty of guys not technically in big league camp who'll get 5-10 AB's in major league games too.

Archived