Brewer Fanatic

Big markets, playoffs and self fulfilling prophecies.

Thurston Fluff

I think you may be able to get a salary cap passed, if you enforce a salary minimum too.

The large market teams aren't what's standing in the way of a cap. It's the players. If you can convince them that teams like KC and Florida will spend 70 million, They shouldn't have any problem letting a cap of 125million be introduced.

The profits and attendance rise with competitive teams in the small markets, which would make everybody happier.

I think you may be able to get a salary cap passed, if you enforce a salary minimum too.

The large market teams aren't what's standing in the way of a cap. It's the players. If you can convince them that teams like KC and Florida will spend 70 million, They shouldn't have any problem letting a cap of 125million be introduced.

The profits and attendance rise with competitive teams in the small markets, which would make everybody happier.

I think the owners are a bigger problem than the players in getting the gap closed from the haves and have nots

A salary cap would be nice, but the lack of deeper revenue sharing is what separates the NFL from MLB in regards to smaller market teams being able to keep more of their quality young players when they reach free agency.

The big market teams want to keep the big revenue gaps they currently have which largely comes from local TV/radio revenues. That said, i can understand to a degree why those large market teams don't want to share more given that some of the small market teams/owners who get revenue sharing millions just pocket the cash instead of using it as intended. This i think also keeps the players from being behind more revenue sharing.

If there was a limit to what the Yankees could spend on the major league team imagine what they would put into their minor league system. The price of international free agents, good scouts, good minor league coaches, and high draft picks would skyrocket. This would cripple any small market teams since the only way they can compete is to develop their own players.

The answer isn't as simple is a salary cap (and floor). There needs to be a major overhaul of the whole baseball economic system if you want to level the playing field.

Archived