Brewer Fanatic

Seth McClung Interview â?? Thoughts on Time as a Brewer, Macha, etc.

Jarjohm

Hey guys,

I had the opportunity to chat with Seth McClung for the blog and thought some of you might want to check it out: http://www.rightfieldbleachers.com/?p=6046

The "normal guy" routine certainly didn't come off as an act in the interview. Actually, just the fact that he was willing to do an interview with a blog tells you a lot about how down to earth he is. And, as a fan, I appreciate how much he loved playing for the Brewers.

I guess the most interesting parts of the interview to me were when he was joking around about his former teammates, especially the guys in the bullpen (i.e. Coffey's "man boobs"), and when he talked about Macha. It's obvious he didn't like Macha very much. He basically said he didn't see eye to eye with Macha because of the way he was used and because Macha did not support the players in the media or on the field. I figured Seth wouldn't speak for the rest of the team (and he didn't), but I had to ask if his feelings were widespread in the clubhouse. It seems like there are a fair amount of guys that aren't exactly buddies with Macha. I understand that's not Macha's job, but that situation definitely seems like something to watch in 2010, especially since it was part of Macha's downfall in Oakland.

I recall about 2 weeks into spring training last year when Macha called out Villanueva in the media after a couple shaky spring outings. It was totally unnecessary. This was a guy (Villanueva) that 5 months earlier had retired all 11 guys he faced in the postseason and was being counted on to be a key guy in the bullpen, and here's this new guy critiquing him on practice games in early March. I don't think that type of thing sits with players but that's typical Macha, who's loathe to show confidence in young players and those he's not familiar with. My fear is he's not going to let talent like Escobar flourish because he'll be overly critical when he makes a mistake. Yost, for all his faults as a strategist, would never do that.

What a great, great interview, thanks. I miss Big Seth. It's mind boggling that Macha couldn't see the value he brings as a pitcher and teammate. How could you not want someone like that on the team? How could you not 'get' him?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

“I miss you guys. That’s why I’m having this burrito.”

Classic.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think he's a good guy; but a bit immature when it comes to filling a role on a team; which realistically is all he'll ever do. I've defended Macha right along; but something stinks here...he reminds me too much of other out of touch coaches I know personally, and add to that that I haven't liked his strategy as much as I thought I would. The revisionist pro-yost comments bother me. Nothing could make me want to go back to that. It IS possible to have a good manager; but we can't seem to find one.

"I’m from West Virginia, man, and I’m as blue collar as they come. I’m just like you and just like everybody else. I just happen to play baseball. And I thought it was a pretty cool way to connect with the fans to just kind of show everybody that, 'Hey, I’m just a guy that’s very fortunate to play baseball and thank you guys for being supportive.'

And, to tell you the truth, I had decided that, after Milwaukee, that I wasn’t really going to do [his Twitter account] anymore because it was a special situation in Milwaukee. That’s no slight to any other fans, but I had such a special bond with a lot of fans in Milwaukee. I felt that it was something that I couldn’t continue because I kind of knew I wasn’t going to come back. And I wanted everybody to know how grateful and honored I was to be a Milwaukee Brewer and play on their favorite team and how supportive they were. It was awesome. And had I not had the Twitter account, I wouldn’t have been able to send my good bye. I mean, they don’t typically give long relievers middle pages in the paper to do the kind of things like that. So, to be able to do that and to say my good byes to the fans and to the organization, it was huge. And I really enjoyed it."

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2407385757_00a338def3.jpg

How could anyone not like you?

Funny, thoughtful, and down-to-earth. Best of luck in baseball & in life, Big Red. And I love how he burns up Coffey so badly. Hilarious.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Seth does seem like an awesome guy, but before we go crucifying Macha there are reasons Seth isn't back. McClung mentioned how Sabre guys can spin numbers; I am guessing the coaching staff was getting on him about the number of guys he was putting on base (high WHIP). He had some success, but with his peripherals it was going to be hard to maintain as we found out. They needed him to eat innings, and its hard to do that when your pitch counts jump up. I know its easy for us to criticize him on a message board, but unfortunately I think this bullpen is better without him.

That being said, I would love to have Seth back if the money is right and he is not needed to carry a bullpen. If he by chance reads this (I doubt it) I hope he doesn’t take the criticism personally. I would love to have a beer with him at Guillies more than any player on the current team.

I really am going to miss Big Seth. I liked him from the time he got here throwing a 100 mph until the time he left. I hope he doesn't get booed when he comes to town. Maybe one day he'll be back with the team.

That stuff about Macha is concerning. It's not like McClung is the only player to ever say this about him. Hopefully Macha will connect with his players better in year 2.

I don't think we're crucifying Macha, I'm certainly not. Year one in Milwaukee though looks to be confirming the disconnect from players that was mentioned in Oakland. I will just rest easier when I hear one, simply one player comment on Ken Macha, their manager in a positive light.

Archived