Brewer Fanatic

Selig to get a statue

Bud stopped by the booth last night and talked with Uke for a good 20 minutes. It was a great conversation. My favorite Bud quote (paraphrased): "When we were trying to push Miller Park though in the late 90's, there were all these doubters, all these detractors making up scenarios of doom and gloom. They all seem to have disappeared since then."

I'm annoyed by 1) the National media's take on this, and even more the disdain so many "fans" have towards Bud Selig. "Steroids are all his fault and he let them tie the All Star game. He sucks." Yeah, that's their whole argument. I'm so sick of hearing it.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was talking to another father at my son's football practice tonight and he stated that there was apparently an issue with fans not being able to see the ceremony yesterday. They apparently decided to do the ceremony under a tent and there was only enough room in the tent for "special guests". So, all (or most) of the public that came to watch could not see anything. Anyone else hear anything about this?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have no inside information, but judging by the size of the tent they had up, and hearing about the number of dignitary types in attendance, it does not surprise me that the dignitaries would have filled up the tent.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It seemed like a small crowd. . .everyone was in suits. . .Lots of dignitaries there. . .I can see why they might want to limit the ceremonies to only those who would be respectful of Selig and the occasion.

He's polarizing enough, the last thing they wanted was to have some goof heckling him on his day.

It seemed like a small crowd. . .everyone was in suits. . .Lots of dignitaries there. . .I can see why they might want to limit the ceremonies to only those who would be respectful of Selig and the occasion.

He's polarizing enough, the last thing they wanted was to have some goof heckling him on his day.

Yes, however, they advertised this thing as a public event. Below is part of an email that I (and anyone else on the Brewers mailing list) received:

BREWERS TO HONOR BUD SELIG WITH STATUE TODAY

Today, Hall of Famers Hank Aaron and Robin Yount will get

some company outside Miller Park.

The Brewers are set to honor former club owner and

current Major League Baseball Commissioner Allan H. "Bud" Selig with

a bronze statue on the home plate plaza at Miller Park, near similar monuments

to Aaron and Yount. A public ceremony is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. CT today, and

it will be a star-studded affair.

Dignitaries scheduled to appear include Aaron and Yount,

plus fellow Hall of Famers Paul Molitor and Frank Robinson, former Brewers Pete

Vuckovich, Ben Oglivie, Ted Simmons, Jim Gantner, Gorman Thomas, Sal Bando,

current Brewers Trevor Hoffman and Craig Counsell, Dodgers manager Joe Torre,

Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker and a representative of nearly every Major

League team.

It specifically states that this was a "public ceremony". I contemplated taking a half day off. I would have been pretty upset had I done that and then was told I was not allowed in.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived