Brewer Fanatic

Super Bowl Commercials

TabbertBB
I think there are lots of choices. Coming into the game, I was excited to see The Who. They have really aged these last couple of years though.

Just going off the list of U2's related acts on lala, I think you could make a case for:

Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, The Killers, Billy Joel/Elton John, Bon Jovi, David Bowie, The Cure, Radiohead, and Coldplay (I hate the last 2, but would still at least watch). Didn't they have Foo Fighters just 2 or 3 years ago?

Like I was saying before, I didn't think the Who was a bad choice until I heard them sing.

Foo Fighters haven't played an Super Bowl halftime.

I'd add Paramore to your list (as they're slowly replacing the Killers as my favorite band), but I'm not sure they're quite big enough for the venue. I would also be shocked if Beyonce isn't at least under consideration for next year's SB at Cowboys stadium. And, of course, since the game will be on FOX in 2011, you have to factor in every American Idol finalist to have a successful recording career.

With FOX taking over next year, I think that the demographic for the music will swing younger. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jay Z or someone similar performing. I just can't believe the Foo Fighters and/or AC/DC haven't performed yet.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Dear God, please no Bon Jovi all of their music sounds like they just changed the words a bit from their Slippery When Wet album of 25 years ago. They are like the original Nickleback. I can't even tell one song from another when Bon Jovi plays anymore.

As far as Cure, Radiohead, or Coldplay go I would say it's a football game please have someone who plays upbeat music not depressed or meloncholy tunes.

I'm not sure if they're currently on hiatus or not, but would the White Stripes be a realistic possibility? Fairly hip and modern, but not overly heavy, and enough "safe" songs in their repetoire.
They were the one rock bad I thought of immediatly after my previous post.

I was just trying to say that there are litterally tons of modern rock bands that could perform without offending anybody and are extreamly popular. In my opinion, rock has made a major rebound in the last decade.

I personally can't stat Bon Jovi, Radiohead, or Coldplay, but they would be pretty realistic selections.

Overall, the commercials didn't meet my expectations. I guess I'm in the minority on the Doritos commercials. My reaction to the dog collar one and the other one with the "keep your hands off my mama and my Doritos" kid was "You spent millions of dollars... on THAT?" The only commercial that I laughed at was the Bud Light book club, when the guy sits down on the couch and says to one of the members, "Hey, I'd like to hear YOU read some words."

As for the Halftime Show, I'd love to see the Foo Fighters. But Dave Grohl is all tatted-up now, so I guess that's out. I think that if your band has been around long enough to have played at Super Bowl I, then you shouldn't be under consideration.

Gruber Lawffices

Once again, the NFL tries to please everybody with the halftime show and ends up pleasing pretty much no one.

I like the Who, they sound great on the remastered CD version of Who's Next, but that's just it... it was 30+ years ago. Not so much in their current incarnation and advancing age. I don't want to see a bunch of saggy-skinned, half-assing has-beens (sweet... 3 hyphened words in a row) on stage for a moneygrab featuring the same music I you hear every waking hour on WKLH and every other major market in the US. And it's not just the Who, I feel the same way about the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney being asked to perform, too. It's just so out of touch it's comical. And this is coming from someone who is a reasonable appreciator of classic rock in moderation (although I avoid it like the plague on the radio dial due to the sheer redundancy of the format).

That said, no younger band is going to do the trick either, and that boyband/classic rock montage CBS tried with Britney Spears/NSync/Aerosmith/Nelly in 2001 was downright embarrassing as well. It's lose/lose situation, so really, why try? Why not just go back to a traditional halftime show with a marching band like they started off with? It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but I'd watch. And if they're covering classic rock songs, it ain't too much different than the remaining 50% of the Who doing the same thing. The creative genius may not be present, but the passion for the performance certainly would be. As an added bonus, maybe a marching band playing on the field wouldn't necessitate a 30 minute delay between the halves to prep the performing area.

I don't want to see a bunch of saggy-skinned, half-assing has-beens (sweet... 3 hyphened words in a row) on stage for a moneygrab featuring the same music I you hear every waking hour on WKLH and every other major market in the US.

I think your post is exactly why bands like the Who are doing the halftime. I'm not a big fan of it, but there obviously is a market of people that enjoy it. I know some people that 'loved' the halftime show. I thought it was kind of lame. I'd like to see a breakdown of viewer demographic for the Super Bowl. I'd love to see the Foo Fighters do it and now that we have the delayed 'live' television thing if there was a mishap it could be blocked...I get the feeling that an older audience might tune in for these bands. No offense, but the White Stripes would never work for a halftime show band. The Who is old and all that...but they have a huge following from the older crowd. My guess is that this demographic is being targeted. I'm in my 20's and everyone I know watches the game from beginning to end...regardless of who the halftime show performer is.

For some reason, the Snickers/Betty White commercial is nowhere to be found on that CBS archive. I know it was in the first quarter, iirc one of the first commercials played.
It seems to be here.

Betty White is 88 years old now. Dang.

Wow, for her age she can sure take a hit.

I kind of wish they'd try something different entirely with halftime. Setting up some big fancy stage just to have a band come out and play parts of their 3 most popular songs isn't very creative or entertaining. Have a marching band and/or some type of football-related awards/inductions. Anything that might actually be interesting.

Better yet...

http://exburgher.com/art/stories/January06/TecmoSuperBowl/32Bombjack.gif

Half time show has to be mainstream, and upbeat. Dave Matthews will put everyone to sleep. Like them or not, Bon Jovi and Journey would be real popular. As far as the ads go. I love the first 2 Doritos ads. Betty White...the Kia ad with the sock puppets were good. I thought Bub Light and Coke really fell down. They have a history of having real creative ads, and these were just boring/mediocre.

What's interesting to me though is how millions are spent, and I would think with the intent is that people would learn something about the product, cause them to buy, get/keep their name out there, etc. This worked for Go Daddy big time after they first advertised during the SB. But that naked ad? I couldn't remember if it ws Monster, CareerBuilder, or someone else the next day, until someone told me. In fact, the #1 product that stuck in my mind the next day was the Hyundai Sonata commercials. No talking animals or naked people. But I did look back and think.....hey that's a pretty nice car for that price range. No clue if I ever buy one, I doubt it, but it left a positive impression.

I didn't see all of the Super Bowl (and thus not all of the commercials), but I finally saw the Kia ad where the toys came to life and enjoyed it - especially the music, which I even decided to buy on iTunes. However, I am not in the market for a Kia, so the advertisers didn't completely beat me.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Half time show has to be mainstream, and upbeat. Dave Matthews will put everyone to sleep.

You are clearly only vaguely familiar with the band at best. They have plenty of uptempo selections.

No, I've even been to one of their concerts. Some songs are more uptempo, but it still all sounds the same to me. Droning, boring music. I know lots of people feel differently, that's just my opinion. They strike me as a group you're supposed to like to be hip, call me un-hip I guess.

I would agree with you on their newer stuff. The older stuff is more creative, interesting, and varied; but of course they've played it and we've heard it a million times.

They aren't too far away from being too old and/or yesterday's news themselves.

Archived