Brewer Fanatic

Super Bowl Commercials

TabbertBB

One of the jokes we had while watching was that maybe Budweiser should cut back their ad budget and spend the extra money on developing beer that actually tastes good. And also how instead of rescuing that delivery truck that had crashed, those people should have burned the thing.

Nothing really stood out for me. I kind of liked seeing Mini Kiss with Kiss in that Dr. Pepper ad, but most of the people I was watching with just didn't get it. A certain formerly retired QB was kind of amusing in that Hyundai ad as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That Brett Favre joke is 5 years old now. It's not funny to me anymore.

The Bud Light house was good. Invader3K's joke about Budweiser is right on.

Snickers and Betty White was funny.

I thought Doritos had a pretty good night. "Keep your hands off my momma and keep your hands off my Doritos." And the dog's revenge on it's owner got the biggest laugh from me all night.

I liked those first two Dorito commercials that MHgb mentioned. Not as catchy as "shankapotomus", but got a chuckle out of the e-trade baby slipping in the "milkoholic" reference. And I also could have done without the growing theme of pasty-white, out-of-shape, middle-agers prancing around in their underwear.

But what really threw me for a loop, after all that went down last month, what was the deal with Leno helping Letterman promote his show?

I thought the commercials were very sub-par this year.

Doritos were pretty good, but all three of their commercials were the winners in their Crash the Super Bowl commercial contest.

Halftime was pretty meh, to me. I like the Who (my wife loves them) but watching Roger Daltry just stand around and sway to the music as he sings reminded me of someone just singing karaoke. According to ESPN page 2, he wasn't pleased with the show either.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought some of the commercials were great.

The Snickers commercial with Betty White was the best.

Punxatawny Palomalu was also hilariously disturbing.

The Favre one was funny even if it was old.

The Bud Light Lost/Stranded on the Island was really funny too.

The google search commercial about France.

I thought some of the commercials were great.

The google search commercial about France.

I thought that was stupid! Most anyone who uses a computer, or most anyone period, knows what Google is and what it does. It didn't do anything for me. A few of them were just stupid. Like the guy using a Dorito as a nun chuck. That commercial was stupid. The Skechers one had me thinking, why did they spend money on this?

The ones I did like were the Doritos one with the guy and the kid and the one with the dog collar; most of the Bud Light commercials (too bad I wouldn't ever drink their beer). There were a few others as well

The Letterman show commercial just seemed awkward and strange....but people are talking about it today.

Halftime was pretty meh, to me. I like the Who (my wife loves them) but watching Roger Daltry just stand around and sway to the music as he sings reminded me of someone just singing karaoke. According to ESPN page 2, he wasn't pleased with the show either.

Daltry is 65 years old, so he probably can't move around like he used to. I do agree that squeezing the best of the Who into a 12 minute song was kind of odd.

I liked the google commericial and the Kia commercial with the toys in the backseat.

EDIT: About the google commercial, obviously we all know what google does, but I think that commercial really put into perspective exactly how much we rely on google to live life. We all know that Budweiser is for drinking, so does that make the Budweiser commercials redundant?

I thought that was stupid! Most anyone who uses a computer, or most anyone period, knows what Google is and what it does. It didn't do anything for me.
You might be holding Google to a different standard than say Doritos or Budweiser or any tangible product, like someone said above. We all know that Budweiser is beer and Doritos are snack food, Snickers is a candy bar, etc. etc.. We know Google is a search engine and rather than eat it or drink it we consume the product by using it. They advertised it in a very clever way by telling a man's relationship story through search terms on Google. I really liked it.

I loved the Betty White Snickers ad... the fiddlin' Beaver also made me laugh -- even though I can admit it's just because I found fiddlin' beaver to be a funny image. Also liked the 'keep your hands off my momma' Doritos commercial. The Kia commercial with the toys was good, too.

For some that haven't been named yet, I really liked the Audi commercial with the Green Police, the Intel commercial where the robot Jeffrey gets his feelings hurt by the co-worker raving that the new processor or whatever is the 'greatest thing we've ever made'. I also liked the classic-style Budweiser Clydesdale/Cattle commercial... but that's more due to the fact that I like that Bud commercial as a vintage format.

Here's the CBS archive of the Super Bowl commercials

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I liked the VW commercial with the Grizzly Bear song and Stevie Wonder & Tracy Morgan at the very end. Stevie Wonder sight gags always get me, as does Tracy Morgan's feigned (or not) incredulousness.

EDIT: forgot to mentioned how much the Bud Light AutoTune commercial bothered me. Two of the bigger evils of mediocrity joining forces...

I thought about criticizing the choice of the Who as the halftime act on Friday, before the game, but it felt like I was re-hashing old territory for me (and them, come to think about it). I tend to believe that U2 raised the bar for the halftime show as an experience....and the NFL is now too fearful of "wardrobe malfunctions" to do anything bold during their showpiece game.

Snickers is the obvious 'best ad' for me, followed by the Doritos kid & VW / Tracy Morgan / Stevie Wonder ad.

I am in the minority who appreciated the sheer randomness of Dorito Battle Armor.

Without pushing the thread into the political forum....the Audi ad cut a bit too close for good satire.

bj, I agree with you to an extent about the halftime shows. I think next year they should try to find someone a bit younger and still "with it" to perform. I would say The Who were at least better than the Rolling Stones were a couple years back (though that isn't saying much at all). Part of the problem is that there aren't that many bands around from the modern era that have a lot of mass appeal and are guaranteed to be family friendly, I guess.

Oh, as far as CBS promos, I got a laugh out of the "Call Barney Stinson" one, but then again I enjoy "How I Met Your Mother."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For some reason, the Snickers/Betty White commercial is nowhere to be found on that CBS archive. I know it was in the first quarter, iirc one of the first commercials played.
It seems to be here.

Betty White is 88 years old now. Dang.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

They advertised it in a very clever way by telling a man's relationship story through search terms on Google.
Are you sure it was a man's relationship?
I suppose it could have been a woman. I guess I just assumed it was a man's relationship since one of the searches was how to impress a french woman, but then again, there is a 10% chance it was a woman marrying a woman.

bj, I agree with you to an extent about the halftime shows. I think next year they should try to find someone a bit younger and still "with it" to perform.

The list of well-known performers under the age of 50 who appeal to corporate/mainstream America and a) don't have lyrics laced with F-bombs, B) aren't a walking tattoo parlor, or C) don't have any illegal activity associated with them is a very short list, and one of them sang the National Anthem.

As far as "rock" artists, that list starts with U2 (are they under 50?) and then... gosh, I can't think of another one off the top of my head. Outside of a couple of country artists I'm struggling (God help us all if we have to listen to country music during halftime of every Super Bowl). We all saw what happened with Ashley Simpson a few years ago - no more teeny-boppers either.

bj, I agree with you to an extent about the halftime shows. I think next year they should try to find someone a bit younger and still "with it" to perform.

The list of well-known performers under the age of 50 who appeal to corporate/mainstream America and a) don't have lyrics laced with F-bombs, B) aren't a walking tattoo parlor, or C) don't have any illegal activity associated with them is a very short list, and one of them sang the National Anthem.

As far as "rock" artists, that list starts with U2 (are they under 50?) and then... gosh, I can't think of another one off the top of my head. Outside of a couple of country artists I'm struggling (God help us all if we have to listen to country music during halftime of every Super Bowl). We all saw what happened with Ashley Simpson a few years ago - no more teeny-boppers either.

I think there are lots of choices. Coming into the game, I was excited to see The Who. They have really aged these last couple of years though.

Just going off the list of U2's related acts on lala, I think you could make a case for:

Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, The Killers, Billy Joel/Elton John, Bon Jovi, David Bowie, The Cure, Radiohead, and Coldplay (I hate the last 2, but would still at least watch). Didn't they have Foo Fighters just 2 or 3 years ago?

Like I was saying before, I didn't think the Who was a bad choice until I heard them sing.

Archived