Brewer Fanatic

Narveson or Parra

Milltownhooker

Neither?

Gallardo, Wolf, Bush, Suppan, Davis....

I wonder which of those you're already assuming won't be in the rotation.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Neither?

Gallardo, Wolf, Bush, Suppan, Davis....

I wonder which of those you're already assuming won't be in the rotation.

I'm pretty sure Parra and Narveson are both out of options. One of them has to make the team. Looks like Manny Parra and I doubt he gets put in the pen.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The final spot in the rotation will be between Bush, Suppan and maybe Narveson assuming Parra is healthy. The other question, the one Haudricort whiffed on in his weekly article, is who among Villaneauva, Loghren and Narveson get the final bullpen spot.

The final spot in the rotation will be between Bush, Suppan and maybe Narveson assuming Parra is healthy. The other question, the one Haudricort whiffed on in his weekly article, is who among Villaneauva, Loghren and Narveson get the final bullpen spot.

Villanueva has an option left so I'm guessing he will be in the minors to start the year while Narveson and Loghren battle it out for the 2nd lefty spot. I could see Narveson winning that battle and getting the long reliever role in the bullpen with Suppan getting the right handed spot or getting the white flag spot a.k.a. down by 5 or more runs and Macha wants to save the bullpen. I think the rotation is going to look something like Gallardo, Wolf, Bush, Davis, Suppan/Parra.

The one thing is Bush's "experience" in pitching relief has been brought up before. The fact that he's actually pitched worse in relief tends to be ignored. (I really wonder if he gets himself too amped up, he pre-game ritual is apparently to be very active. That also might explain why his road stats are so bad, he gets worked up to start the game and then has to sit 20-30 minutes before he can pitch).

I fully expect Bush, Gallardo, Davis and Wolf will be the first 4 starters, I'd be absolutely shocked if that is not the case. The 5th spot is probably Parra's to lose and if he struggles to throw strikes in spring training it goes to Suppan. I also think we break camp with an extra pitcher until things figure themselves out. Depth is just not a big issue at all in April so your roster has a lot more leeway than later in the season.

I fully expect Bush, Gallardo, Davis and Wolf will be the first 4 starters, I'd be absolutely shocked if that is not the case. The 5th spot is probably Parra's to lose and if he struggles to throw strikes in spring training it goes to Suppan. I also think we break camp with an extra pitcher until things figure themselves out. Depth is just not a big issue at all in April so your roster has a lot more leeway than later in the season.
So do you think Suppan would be ok with a move to the pen? Or you think the Brewers would move Suppan and his 12.5 million to the pen? In your scenario he would have to be or released/traded. I'm not so sure. I'm kinda thinking he will be given a spot in the starting rotation because he is making so much money.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

So do you think Suppan would be ok with a move to the pen?

Who cares? He is better than Vargas, but few others that will make the MLB roster.

In your scenario he would have to be or released/traded.
No idea where this comes from. In Ennder's scenario it appears he would be in the pen as the long man. No reason to trade or move Suppan unless there is big money savings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Melvin made a comment this offseason to the effect that salary does not guarantee anything. At the time, I took it to basically be talking about Suppan. I wish I could remember where that was linked. And whether fans like it or not, Suppan can actually help the team in the long-man/emergency SP role.

As for the original post's question, I have to agree with others that Parra is going to get every chance to prove himself -- and I believe he will.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

logan3825]

So do you think Suppan would be ok with a move to the pen?

Who cares? He is better than Vargas, but few others that will make the MLB roster.

In your scenario he would have to be or released/traded.
No idea where this comes from. In Ennder's scenario it appears he would be in the pen as the long man. No reason to trade or move Suppan unless there is big money savings.
You didn't answer the most important question.. Would the Brewers move Suppans 12.5 million to the pen? Right now, I highly doubt it. I hope I'm wrong. Yes I know what Ender's point was. Just trying to broaden the discussion and connect the dots and make sense of it all.

TooLiveBrew]Melvin made a comment this offseason to the effect that salary does not guarantee anything. At the time, I took it to basically be talking about Suppan. I wish I could remember where that was linked. And whether fans like it or not, Suppan can actually help the team in the long-man/emergency SP role.

Thank you.

Edit: Suppan moving to the Pen might add 1-2 mph to his fastball. Might work out.

Even if Suppan picks up 1 MPH on his fastball the velocity separation between his pitches still stinks. I've learned a ton from listening to a former big league pitcher spin his yarns, but one of the stories I found most fascinating that he's told was about velocity differential. I'm sure there are differing opinions on this stuff but he always looked to have at least a 12 MPH difference from his fastball to his primary off speed pitch (not talking about sliders here). He also mentioned something that I had never thought about before.... one of the teams he played for brought in a physics professor to talk to the pitchers and he opened by asking how many revolutions a 90 MPH fastball makes before reaching home plate? Well numerous players raised their hands with guesses, some as high as 20... the answer: the average fastball only completes 2 revolutions before reaching the catcher, the best pitchers can get 3... crazy stuff.

No point really other than to highlight that most pitchers of average talent have very little margin for error, after all, what's the difference between a good start and a bad start? 6 pitches that fall for hits? (and no, I'm not looking to debate luck with anyone) With Suppan's declining skill set, as his pitches approach each other velocity wise, and his total reliance on pinpoint command to be effective, I really don't hold out any hope that he'd be a solid pitcher over this entire season. He'll get hot and have a good stretch or maybe a couple of good stretches but it won't be enough to average out the other appearances, bullpen or otherwise.

I have nothing against the guy even though I despise the idea behind his signing, this is just what happens when guys get old...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Brewers in the last few years haven't kept Gagne as closer even though he was making $10M. They all but gave away Hall even though he was owed milions. Suppan may be given more chances because of his contract, but the first priority of everyone involved is winning this year. If Suppan isn't helping the team, nobody in the Brewers benefits from throwing him out there to attempt to justify a past mistake.

Bush is the only guy they could save money on by cutting. That and his 6+ ERA last year and propensity for giving up HR his entire career makes him less than a lock for a rotation spot if he pitches poorly this spring. Even if he pitches well, he could be dealt if they think they have enough alternatives. I don't see them keeping Bush if he's not in the rotation.

I'd like to think Narveson has as much chance as Parra, but I think he has to clearly outperform him this spring. That's entirely possible as Narveson was really good 2 springs ago.

Well I still think the crew could use Paara's shoulder surgery as an excuse to keep Narverson around a month or so. Hopefully giving hiim April & some of May to show his wears. Hopefully Suppan will have too much pride to accept a mop up duty role. And the crew can figure out someway to trade him & save a little money.

If I recall correctly, didn't Macha state at one point a while back, definitely prior to Davis, that the only certain things in the rotation were Yo and Parra (I can't remember if Wolf was included in there as well)? That would lead me to believe that, even with the additions, Parra would have a leg up on Suppan, Bush and Narveson for a rotation spot. And therefore would also appear unlikely to join the bullpen, and as others have mentioned he is out of options.

Obviously I don't have a link, but does anyone else remember reading this somewhere?

I think it will be Wolf, Yo, Davis, Bush, Parra With Suppan and Narveson in the Bullpen, but if I am counting correctly, dont we only have space for only one of them?

The 5 starters.

6. Hoffman

7. Coffey

8. Hawkins

9. Stetter

10. Villa

11. Vargas

12. Suppan

12. Narveson

So I dont get what will happen, I mean Villa COULD be beat out for a spot, but I still like him in there, unless we go with 13 pitchers. And can we put Narveson in AAA or does he have no options?

I think the Brewers will not forget how they messed up when they cut Vargas and then Capuano went down. Therefore they will keep more potential starters in the bullpen than typical, which is a good strategy I believe. Therefore Parra wins 5th spot. Narveson and Soup to the pen with Villy the odd man out. I especially want Narveson in the pen as a second lefty.

I think the Brewers will not forget how they messed up when they cut Vargas and then Capuano went down. Therefore they will keep more potential starters in the bullpen than typical, which is a good strategy I believe. Therefore Parra wins 5th spot. Narveson and Soup to the pen with Villy the odd man out. I especially want Narveson in the pen as a second lefty.

Yeah and what do we do with Villa, I wanna keep him, he can be effective and a long reliever. 13 pitchers?

Villaneuva has options, Narveson doesn't. But Riske then becomes a wildcard. If Riske is ready say in May do you try to pass Narveson through waivers during cutdown in hopes to get him through during the mass of people and then option Villaneuva down when Riske is ready to go? Do you not take the risk and plan on someone having to miss sometime at some point early on and option Villaneuva down?

Archived