Brewer Fanatic

Which prospect gave you the most hope...yet didn't make it?

DHonks

Glenn Braggs did net the Brewers a nice starting pitcher Ron Robinson. Unfortunately after one good season Robinson hurt his arm and never was the same.

Another blast from the past: Brian Banks 2nd Round Pick in 1993, had solid minor league numbers and never could get it going in a regular role with the Brewers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kade Johnson and Lou Palmisano. I wanted Kevin Barker to make it......not because I thought he was any good, but I got his jersey in an auction and was juuuuust getting people sitting around us to "woof woof woof" when he was announced.

i know i'm jumping the gun on both these guys, (since they are both still prospects and young guys), but i'm going with Mark Rogers and Jeffress. Rogers because of the high pick, i just expected him to be in AAA at the least by now, but injuries have killed him. Just got a bad feeling that he has Mike Jones written all over him. And Jeffress because he is the most frustrating prospect I can remember. He's got tons of raw, untapped potential but his problem (control) is so evident. The problem is, he loves weed so much that he can't work on his control because he spends more games suspended than actually pitching.

If those guys don't count, then i'm going with Eveland. Loved the guy, then hated the guy, then loved, then hated....etc.

Geez, you wanna go and throw Brett Lawrie, Eric Arnett and Amaury Rivas into that group as well!!

Seriously though, I clearly see your points, just thought it a big funny that you used a guy who posted a 1.67 ERA THIS YEAR for the Brewers to another guy who is still pitching for the Brewers and is a contender to make the 25 man at some point in time this year.

Again, I do get your point. Rogers has not developed as we hoped he would.

On that note, I think that the obvious one is Nick Neugabauer. He has to top everyone's list as he could have been one of those rare, once in a generation type aces for a organization.

I would throw Jorge Dela Rosa into that list as well. As others have mentioned, his stuff was just so incredibly nasty, and with that Change, I thought we were getting a poor mans Johan Santana for years to come.

Obviously this seemingly endless list of names, DLR, Neuggy, Gold, and on and on give you reason for pause with this young group of pitchers we've got. I do like the fact that we're trying to add as many big time arms as possible and hope that we can get a couple to work out here and there.....

I'll say this, you could compare what we hoped would have been our rotation about 7-8 years ago with Sheets, Neugabauer, Gold, Hendrickson and D'amico to what we hope will be our rotation in 2-3 years with Gallardo, Arnett, Scarpetta, Braddock and Rogers and have an interesting discussion about which group had/has more talent.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Pre-Brewerfan I'll give you Brian Banks and Ty Hill. I can still remember being honked off Sean Berry was kept and Banker was cut. Ty Hill? What do you expect when Sal Bando is involved.

Matt Yeatman caught my fancy, and then we promptly traded him for Matt Kinney. I was sure that trade was going to look bad in history. Luckily I was wrong and then we got Yeatman back a few seasons later. Neugebauer's rise was exciting, and his injuries were devastating on some bad Brewer teams. But Tom Wilhelmsen is my one huge regret. That old feeling was vindicated last season when he was re-activated, but it was apparently not to be.

I was expecting to see Brian somewhere in this thread with his man crush.

Captain Lou and Tom Wilhelmson were two that I loved and yeah... I also was big into Luis Martinez and Christian Guerrero. I was a big Vlad fan so I thought Christian was going to be the second coming of his cousin. Or at least be an okay MLB player like Wilt but he failed me.

A couple days ago, I was watching on netflix a documentary about the 2000 or 2001 Indianapolis Indians and they showcased a couple of the Brewers prospects back then. It reminded me of this thread because I had totally forgot about Levrault (spelling?), and Kyle Pederson. Pederson especially, since he was such a high draft pick, I thought could have done something, but it seemed like another injury thing. On the same note, Marco Scutaro was on that team and was the team MVP that year. What did we end up getting for him by the way? Gotta admit, that I'm not very prospect savvy. Too little time to keep track of all of em.

Marco Scutaro was on that team and was the team MVP that year. What did we end up getting for him by the way?

Scutaro was a mini-part (at the time) of this deal initially:

Aug 30, 2000 - Traded by Indians with Kane Davis, Richie Sexson and Paul Rigdon to Brewers for Jason Bere, Steve Woodard and Bob Wickman.

Scutaro had an outstanding 2001 season with AAA Indianapolis (career stats) .295 / .382 / .432 (.814 OPS) as a second baseman.

Apr 5, 2002 - Claimed on waivers by Mets from Brewers.

Scutaro went on to post even better AAA numbers in 2002 and 2003, and at least the Mets gave him some major league time in each of those seasons.

Oct 9, 2003 - Claimed on waivers by Athletics from Mets.

And a solid big leaguer ever since.

Another Dean Taylor blunder.

Scutaro certainly had his Brewerfan supporters back then, including Al of Ramblings fame, who rightfully still refers to his own Scutaro crush back in the day from time-to-time.

• 2 weeks later...
Well living here in Algona, Iowa. I too have to say Brad Nelson. His dad is a nice guy and I still hope the best for Brad. I still think that it is awesome at times in the fall after the season is over to see Brad out driving a grain truck for his dad.

did anyone hear that Tom Wilhelmsen signed a minor league deal with seattle a couple weeks ago. i guess jack is the kind of guy that doesnt forget about a 97 mph fastball. hopefully tom really is on the right track now.

did anyone hear that Tom Wilhelmsen signed a minor league deal with seattle a couple weeks ago. i guess jack is the kind of guy that doesnt forget about a 97 mph fastball. hopefully tom really is on the right track now.
Yep, a long article about the signing was linked to in the Alumni thread.

Archived