Brewer Fanatic

Which prospect gave you the most hope...yet didn't make it?

DHonks
I'll stick with the pitching side here. I fully expected a rotation in around 2003 to feature Mike Jones, Nick Neugebauer, JM Gold, Ben Sheets, and one other guy....that guy is Jose Mieses. He was my favorite prospect to follow at the time, followed by a sleeper named Ryan Poe.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were 2... Ben Hendrickson, Dana Eveland.

Both of them directly led me down the prospect/pitching path that I'm currently on.... and who can forget Ben's crazy dad blasting the whole the site the day his son was traded to KC?

Eveland... cripes... Parra is like a return to Eveland for me. There's absolutely no good reason he shouldn't be able to get MLB hitters out, but he doesn't. 2009 was by far his worst season.

My first season really following the minor leagues on this site was 2003, I thought Hendrickson and Jones would rule the world in a couple of years, then Mike got hurt and the wheels started coming off the organization's pitching prospects again. That summer of 2003 though... Jones and Hendrickson tearing up AA, Eveland and Taubenheim were monsters in Helena... Sarfate, Wilhelmsen, and Parra were tearing up Beloit...

The future looked so good from a pitching standpoint at the end of the June, then as I said above Jones got hurt for the first time and the dominos started falling. Wilhelmsen got the big adios during the off season, Sarfate never learned to throw strikes, Parra got hurt, Eveland and Hendrickson couldn't stick with the big club, and finally Taubenheim was traded but hasn't amounted to much yet.

At least when compared to our current crop of pitchers, the current players generally speaking are all much more projectable than little Ben and Taubenheim were, so at least we have that going for us.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is a fantastic topic, thanks for posting it. We'll work with the "Brewerfan era", 2001 and up...

Diehards will remember the 2001 stat line of an unheralded 37th round OF, Tommy Carrow, who fought for playing time as a 19/20 year old (July birthday) in Ogden. How's .331 / .454 / .471 with minimal strikeouts grab you? This was going to be an amazing find for Jack Z. and staff. A hidden gem to follow and root for. Then, after (again) having to scrap for playing time with Beloit in 2002 (a much more pedestrian .695 OPS in 75 games), he was gone, voluntarily retired from the game, gone as quickly as he arrived I hope he's doing well today. By the way, there are tons of guys who posted monster Brewer rookie league numbers this decade never to be feared again, but they were all 22/23 year olds, that's what allowed Carrow to stand out.

There was a kid named Matt Parker, a RHP the Brewers acquired from the Cardinals as part of the Fernando Vina deal. He survived 28 starts as a 22-year-old in the insanity that was High Desert in 2001 with very good numbers considering the atmosphere (13-6, 4.30 ERA, good ratios). The Brewers inexplicably mis-assigned him and tossed him into middle relief over the next two seasons before releasing him early in 2004. Tampa Bay and St. Louis took chances on him later that season, and that was it.

An important reminisce is about a rotation mate of Parker's in that 2001 High Desert rotation, RHP Paul Stewart. In 2002, Stewart fashioned an absolutely wonderful clutch age-appropriate (23) AA season in Huntsville, with a 3.28 ERA and even more impressive 1.17 WHIP. But wait, suddenly we realized he was available as a minor league free agent. How could this be? Yes, Stewart signed out of a Virginia high school as a 6th round Brewer draft choice as a 17-year-old (think Alex Periard). He had been available via Rule 5 for several years, but was never taken, never on a 40-man.

Certainly he would be protected now, and kept from walking, right? He had put it all together at AA, at 23, polished and ready to roll. This was the 2002 106-loss Brewers! Coming off that debacle, they would protect this young man now, right? We waited, and waited, and the new front office with Doug and Jack established themselves that fall, yet didn't make this one designation. They were going to let Stewart walk. How many minor league free agents do you see at 23?

Just as I made my impassioned plea here on the forums, making many statistical comparisons to age-similar top pitching prospects throughout baseball, I sent my "research" to Doug Melvin's inbox (alas, too late at the time). Perhaps one of my prized possessions was Doug's response (since lost, I'm afraid), in which he mentioned something about having wished he had had the chance to discuss Stewart more thoroughly with his scouts during the front office transition and such, basically it was as close to an admission of "we dropped the ball" as you might get these days.

So anyway, Stewart hits free agency and we had to read quotes like this:

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein on the Stewart signing this winter:

The signing of Paul Stewart, a six-year minor league free agent off Milwaukee's Double A team in Huntsville, gives the Sox a new candidate for the rotation, if not for next season, then in 2004. ''He's that rare minor league free agent who is a bona fide prospect,'' Epstein said of the 6-foot-5-inch, 240-pound righthander, who was 12-9 with a 3.28 ERA last season. ''After the first month last season, he was lights out. He throws in the low 90s, with a heavy sinker, and has four pitches. We added a prospect without giving up a player, and he is going to pitch in the big leagues one day.''

Red Sox Director of Player Development Ben Cherington, this past winter:

"The reason why we were so thrilled to get (Stewart) is, when the six year free agent list is distributed every year, you tend to see a lot of guys who've kicked around the minors for many years", said Cherington, who was informed about Stewart by scout Joe Mason. "With Paul, he's still in the category of being a prospect. You don't see too many players who are that young (just turned 24) become available. This was an opportunity for us to acquire a prospect at minimal cost. We're bringing him to the organization not just as a starting pitching prospect, but as a starting pitcher who can help us at the upper levels."

Stewart was included prominently in the Pawtucket pre-season media day blitz and in promotions for the 2003 season. While not included in big-league camp during spring training (he pitched one scoreless inning when recruited for one Red Sox game), he was still given the honor of pitching Opening Day in Buffalo.

Stewart went on to have a middling disappointing 2003 season for Pawtucket (4.30 ERA, 1.44 WHIP), although I got to see him live on a few occasions that summer in Rhode Island, and he thanked me for touting him as I had.

So it was definitely pretty cool to see Doug bring Stewart back to the Brewers organization in 2004 (he remembered my pleas!), and Paul pitched well in relief for Huntsville. His career would end in the Pirates organiztion in 2005.

Thanks for letting me relive that, that was fun.

RH reliever Tony Stavros retired after his high-A age 22 season in which he had a 101-to-39 K-to-BB ratio in 84.2 innings in High Desert in 2003. Why, kid? And yes, I spent too many late nights listening to West Coast baseball after Brewer games in those days while on Link Report duty. Ahh, the lack of sleep...

By the way, here's the easiest way to jog your memory on this topic.

Go to the Power 50, and then click on Player Tracker. There you'll see the name of every player ever listed on a P50. Click on the player's name to see their weekly ranking, and also the comments -- prior to 2008, exclusively Toby's (And That's), when he somehow cranked out Power 50's on a bi-weekly basis.

Anyway, I'm sure that the list will provide memories for many of you to comment on.

Among current players, I'm afraid that Shawn Zarraga is someone that seems destined to be on this list for me some day -- please prove me right (wrong?) by succeeding, Shawn.

And I'll be devastated if I ever have to place Chris Dennis on this list a few years from now.

I had hope for many. Billy Joe Robideaux, Tim Pynarski, Joey Meyer, Kevin Barker,Antone Williomson,Kyle Peterson,Chad Green,Doug Loman. I remember being a 13 or 14 kid & hearing the hype on Joey Meyer & then he just fizzled out. In the early 90's the hype was about Todd Dunn. I had real high hopes for Jose Capellan too.

I could see Eveland as a solid choice, no reason he couldn't have at least a Doug Davis Career. I was and still am convinced with an actual opportunity that Jim Rushford could have put up useful numbers nothing spectacular, but somewhere close to an .800 OPS. The king of all whiffs though for me is Hendrickson. That line he put up as a pitcher in High Desert had me convinced he had the stuff, enough smarts, and the attitude to make it and do quite well for himself. In retrospect though that year in High Desert looks like an extreme outlier from the rest of his minor league career. I am glad we don't have a team out there anymore because it made it so difficult to really figure out what you had in pitchers or hitters.

If he counts, I too had high hopes for Jose Capellan. We gave up a really nice closer in Danny Kolb, who I really liked at the time, but it seemed like we were getting something really good in that trade. I guess the fact that the Braves were willing to give him up should have set off more red flags.

Nick Neugebauer also sticks out as far as pitching prospects. Thought he was going to be an anchor for the pitching staff for years to come.

Oh, and I wish that Hendrickson thread from when he was traded was still viewable on the site...that was a real fun time.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'll throw in Zach Jackson and Jorge De La Rosa. Both were supposedly top pitching prospects from their respective organizations when they came here via trade but neither one of them made any sort of significant impact. I really liked Kevin Barker and was super disappointed by him too. And think about how great it would have been if Dave Krynzel panned out. He would have been our leadoff hitter and centerfielder and Rickie Weeks never would have had to bat first. Dave Krynzel seems like forever ago, but he was right around the same time as Hart and Hardy and probably would have still be in Milwaukee. Pitching wise gotta go with Neugebauer, just because he got so frickin close!

Yeah, Jorge de la Rosa was pretty maddening for me because he had great stuff but never managed to put it together. I also remember being excited about Dana Eveland when he first came up -- he had a sub-3.00 ERA through his first 15 IP in 2005 -- but again, never seemed to put it together with the Brewers.

From the batter's side, I wish Nelson Cruz had been able to put it together with the Brewers, but he took a long time to even do that with the Rangers so I can't get too upset about Melvin including him in the Lee trade.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Cristian Guerrero was in High Desert the year I really started following the young Brewer prospects via this site and I remember just being excited about him mainly due to his bloodlines. I was also guilty of a Dana Eveland bias....and Manny Parra for that matter. For the record I still think Manny will have a successful career, I just thought it would have translated a bit sooner.

I always seem to pin my hopes on catchers, which is probably why I've been especially excited for Lucroy's development. I remember thinking/hoping that one of Kade Johnson and/or Jason Belcher would solve the teams woes at catcher before Lou Palmisano generated his own wave of excitement. Both Johnson and Belcher's careers were plagued by injury, as Belcher in particular hit well enough at each level he played (I think he topped out at AA, so he was at least getting close even though by then I think his days as a catcher were over).

That's a huge reason why I don't want to see Lucroy or Salome traded, because you just never know what is going to happen, and having depth at the position is an enviable position.

Mass, no Allen Levrault?

If you go before Brewerfan's creation, I thought both Santiago Perez and Kevin Barker would become fixtures on the team's infield. I also thought Jim Tatum would become the best hitter of the Nilsson/Jaha/Tatum trio that tore up the Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues in the early 90s. George Canale was a monumental disappointment http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Mass, no Allen Levrault?
Now 32 and out of baseball since some failed indy league appearances in 2005, Allen stayed local and just married last September a lovely girl named Vanessa (yes, all new brides are lovely, but Allen did well for himself).

Nineteen relief appearances with the 2003 Marlins earned himself a World Series ring, so in a sense, he did "make it".

He's not exactly in playing shape these days, barrel-chested players can have their appearances change quickly once the workouts end, it seems.

Glad he's happy.

I think Joey Meyer had the biggest hype. I remember reading in the 1987 Brewers yearbook this line: "Joey Meyer and home runs are as perfect a match as bacon and eggs."

Nuegebauer had a lot of hype, as did Mieses, Jones, and Krynzel (although Krynzel is one guy I was never high on. I will admit however that I was really mad the day Ryan Braun was drafted, so I can occasionally be wrong about these things.)

and who can forget Ben's crazy dad blasting the whole the site the day his son was traded to KC?
Wow, seriously? I don't remember that happening. What exactly did he say? As far as the prospect that gave me the most hype and didn't make it...Nick Neugebauer is an easy choice for me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Luis Martinez

Pitched 45 innings in AAA in 2003 and gave up 5 earned runs. I think he has some ridiculous consecutive inning streak without giving up a run. Then he got a Sept callup and was absolutely dreadful.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wow, seriously? I don't remember that happening. What exactly did he say?
Ben's dad was a regular on the site and had a rep for being pretty opinionated, especially in regard to his son's talent. He let loose on a lot of people when Hendrickson was traded to the Royals. I think I remember his ex-wife (Ben's mom) even coming on here and apologizing for his behavior. I don't think too many people were sad when he left/got banned from here following that.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sid Roberson. And maybe he would've panned out had he not gotten injured and never really pitched again. One of the few bright-light pitching prospects to make it all the way up and pitch decently in the mid-Bando/Garner years.

Kevin Barker, Joey Meyer (still can't figure why after a half-decent rookie year, he flat out disappeared), and the last near .400 hitter in our organization above A-ball, Lavell Freeman.

George Canale was never good. Nor was Carlos Ponce.

Pitchers -- JM Gold, Nick Neugebauer -- these guys were supposed to be the 1-2 punch for the '00s, or at least in the rotation. Neugie had his cup of coffee, but then got hurt.

Position players -- how about Cristian Guerrero. Again late 90's prospect that was part of a near decade of dearth of talent. (He sits there with Kevin Barker, Ronnie Belliard and Santiago Perez, but at least Barker and Belliard did make the majors).

While recent years have produced some duds, the great depth of the organization softened the blow. Imagine Jeffress and Gamel falling from grace like that in 1999-2003 -- we only had 2 or 3 prospects to seriously consider back then.

I have two. Jorge De la Rosa was supposed to be, and should have been, the ace next to Ben and then Yo. Immensely talented (perhaps too talented. He should have dialed down his rep.) but never confident enough in the pitch he was about to throw. He fell victim to the "nibbles." The other wasn't so much a prospect as much as I just held out a great amount of hope for him. Wes Obermueller. I always thought he would settle into a "Dave Bush"-type role. Instead, he was bumped by Dave Bush.

It has to be Neugebauer for me. I got the guy's autograph at an exhibition game against the White Sox in 2001. I know I still have it stashed somewhere in the house. I also remember watching his first game on TV when he got called up later that year.

Archived