Brewer Fanatic

What is Tony Gwynn Jr. worth in a Trade?

pogokat

I think the fact that the brewers are pursuing every Cfer on the market tells us that they have decided to move forth without TGJ, but what does that mean?

Will he hang out in AAA? Will he be the 4th/5th outfielder? Will he platoon with someone?

or will he be traded?

I think he's gonna be traded, and I was wondering what people think he's worth...I think Gwynn could net us a middle reliever or maybe a back of the rotation starter with a decent contract..

what do you think?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe we can trade him to San Diego for Peavey? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Seriously, tho, I wonder what his value is right now. While his last name might add something to his value, are other GMs gonna wonder why Milwaukee wants to move him? If the team needs a CFer (which appears to be the case since they seem to be rumored to have talked to every FA CFer out there), why not just play Gwynn?

I am inclined to think Gwynn has more value to Milwaukee in 2007 as a 4th/5th OFer/defensive replacement/pinch hitter than he has trade value. With this team finally (hopefully) on the cusp of winning something important, that type of player has more value than ever before. I think he might help the team more than anyone they could get in a trade.

Of course, it only takes one team to want him badly enough for my opinion to change.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I don't want to see Gwynn get traded. I personally still see him as the centerfielder of the future. I loved watching him track down flyballs in the outfield, and I thought he handled the bat well considering it was just his first stint in the big leagues.

I know he doesn't have power and needs to walk more, but so does Juan Pierre. I think Gwynn could even be better that Pierre someday.

I say keep him.

TGJ isnt going to spend 3 or 4 years at AAA...he will either be moved to a team that wants him, or moved into a bench role...he's a college player with 3 years of Minor leagues under his belt...the brewers will do something with him..

Gwynn did well in his first time in Milwaukee, but 7-for-15 or whatever is a pretty small sample.

His 2nd time in Milwaukee was September-plus and I believe he hit something like .210 that go-round. Still a small sample, but much larger than the 1st. But it's amazing how many people seem to be figuring him as major-league ready based on how well that 1st time up went. It almost seems like the 2nd stretch gets conveniently or maybe just unintentionally forgotten.

I see the 2nd, longer stretch as a prime indicator that unless he outright wins a roster spot in spring training, he's probably going back to AAA. So trade value? Well, I don't think he's a guy they're looking to move. Nix, Krynzel, Mench, and maybe Clark or Jenkins, and maybe even Drew Anderson would seem stronger candidates to be gone.

TGJ isnt going to spend 3 or 4 years at AAA...he will either be moved to a team that wants him, or moved into a bench role...he's a college player with 3 years of Minor leagues under his belt...the brewers will do something with him..

I'd agree that the Brewers aren't going to let him spend 3 or 4 years in AAA. But, I don't think the Brewers, or anybody else, would particularly have a problem with him spending 2 years. He has moved relatively quickly up the chain and he really just needs to develop some power. It's not hard to imagine that Gwynn might be able to do that with another year of maturing and 2 offseasons of weight training.

Robert

I think the fact that the Brewers seem to have interest in Dave Roberts would lead me to believe that they would most likely view Gwynn as their new model for a CF/leadoff guy. More than likely, given his fall-off in his second stint, they will probably ask him to go to AAA and get a bit of seasoning. Remember that Corey Hart was asked to go to AAA last year after languishing on the bench. It is no disservice by the organization to ask Jr. Gwynny to go prove himself at AAA, especially with the probability that the AAA rotation will be one of the best in the minors next year (Eveland/Yo/Zach Jack/Villy/Parra) and would be well-served to have a speedster out there in center and the logjam above him.

the probelm with stating that gwynn is the Cf of the future, then signing a guy like roberts to a 3 year 15 million dollar deal is that there is no where for gwynn to play in the majors...

if the brewers sign a cfer for 3 years, then whoever they sign is the cfer of the future...not gwynn...i think the fact that the brewers are trying to sign a cfer shows that they do not intend to give the job to gwynn in the near future or ever..

I agree with Robert, I don't see any problem with Gwynn spending another year in AAA. The Brewers interest in Roberts has everything to do with looking for a proven centerfielder and leadoff man, and if they simply handed the job to Gwynn Jr. it would be yet another position with a lot of uncertainty.

As Chris joked, I'm sure the Padres would have some interest in Gwynn, but you're really not going to get much for the guy on his own. Let him prove his worth again at AAA and maybe see what you can flip him for at the trade deadline to a team looking to add youth while jettisoning a contract (such as a relief pitcher).

Plus, not to be overlooked, but I'd like to see what Gwynn could learn in spring training playing alongside with someone like Roberts.

This is all of course assuming the Brewers do indeed sign the guy, or someone similar.

And if the Brewers OF of the future has Roberts in left and Gwynn in center, the rest of the lineup better be very, very solid.

I suspect that Roberts can likely be traded, assuming he even signs, before his contract ends. There's aways a team looking for a "proven leadoff hitter" in the offseason or at the deadline.

The only reason we would want to trade him would be because he is no longer playing well, which would crush his trade value.

I think the whole idea of trading Roberts is based on the premise, what if Gwynn emerges as a viable starter for 2008? I don't think the notion that Gwynn + player received in a trade + any money saved > Roberts is that impossible a concept.

I'd agree that Gwynn's upside is most likely Dave Roberts and realistically he's most likely a backup CFer. I'm just saying that if Gwynn emerges (or Weeks needs to be moved) that Dave Roberts isn't going to stand in the way, nor is he some immovable object who the Brewers are stuck with. Heck, the Brewers were able to trade Marquis Grissom not too long ago and I doubt Roberts will play as poorly as Grissom did his last year as a Brewer.

Robert

Archived