Brewer Fanatic

Orlando Hudson signs with MIN; 1 yr./$5M

TooLiveBrew

Link

I really like this pickup for the Twins. They were already the favorites in the AL Central imo, and this just further cements that. 2B was probably the biggest hole on their roster.

I'd bet Felipe Lopez will sign relatively soon now. I'll be interested to see where he winds up.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I think they have improved quite a bit I think the combination of losing their huge home field advantage and having a pretty brutal OF defense on a flyball happy staff is going to hurt them and keep the division race wide open.

Given the dimensions of Target Field, along with some nice LH bats (Morneau, Mauer, Kubel, Thome, Span, & Hudson at times), I'd say the Twins are constructed pretty favorably in terms of developing a home field advantage. While I think you make a good point on the rough OF defense & a flyball staff, I just don't like any of the AL Central competitors enough to view that as an open race without MIN suffering some serious injury trouble.

You're joking, right? Their attendance this season will probably be the highest since 1988. I know you're getting at the weather, but they will still draw well this season. New ballparks always do, and this year's team is very talented & a legitimate frontrunner in the AL Central, to boot.

I think a lot of people overstate how Twins fans will react to outdoor baseball in April and September. The average night temperature for Minneapolis during those times of the year aren't much different from their division rivals Chicago and Detroit. The only way they draw 5,000 a game those nights, IMO, is if the team is one of the worst in the league (and they won't be).

As far as this move goes, I really like it for the Twins. Their rotation is still pretty shaky, like Ennder said, but I still like them better than anyone else in that division.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Puts the Twins payroll up and almost at $100M this year. Simply amazing.

Sounds about right considering they have a new stadium and are the 16th largest Market in the country.

Considering they were at under 20M in 2000, it's pretty amazing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think a lot of people overstate how Twins fans will react to outdoor baseball in April and September. The average night temperature for Minneapolis during those times of the year aren't much different from their division rivals Chicago and Detroit. The only way they draw 5,000 a game those nights, IMO, is if the team is one of the worst in the league (and they won't be).

It isn't the temperature that should be a big deal. It is if there is snow or rain that will make the game uncomfortable. High wind as well. If they were still in the Metrodome I could go along with the 5000 fans(still an exaggeration) but they will draw well in a new park. Teams always do.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think a lot of people overstate how Twins fans will react to outdoor baseball in April and September. The average night temperature for Minneapolis during those times of the year aren't much different from their division rivals Chicago and Detroit.
I agree that people probably overstate it, but Minneapolis in early April is on average about 10' colder than Chicago or Detroit. Just looking at some rough numbers online, early April nighttime temperatures between 35' and 40' are pretty common. That said, I would personally much rather watch a game in 40 degree weather in a beautiful outdoor stadium than in that mess they called the Metrodome.

I like the Hudson signing for the Twins, this only improves a very solid offseason. So long as they keep Delmon Young off the diamond, they should have a very good club next year.

Their line-up is looking very strong; here are the CHONE projections for 2010:

1) OF Denard Span: .294/.371/.409/.780

2) 2B Orlando Hudson: .274/.346/.403/.749

3) C Joe Mauer: .332/.408/.510/.918

4) 1B Justin Morneau: .279/.350/.494/.844

5) OF Jason Kubel: .274/.340/.473/.813

6) OF Michael Cuddyer: .268/.342/.459/.801

7) DH Jim Thome: .233/.351/.442/.793

8) SS JJ Hardy: .253/.307/.404/.711

9) 3B Brendan Harris: .260/.321/.383/.704

If I were a Twins fan, my biggest concern would be that outfield defense combined with a fly ball pitching staff. Losing Gomez and (presumably) Crede, that will be a pretty brutal defensive club all around.

I still like the White Sox in that division. Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, and either Garcia or young stud Daniel Hudson is the best rotation in the division.

The key is a healthy Quentin and a rebound season from Rios. I also really like their pickups of Pierre and Teahen. Beckham is a stud.

Even with a rebound season from Rios, that ChiSox offense just isn't very good. Imo they're going to be the mirror opposite of the 2009 Brewers -- studly pitching, woeful offense, and right around .500

Archived