Brewer Fanatic

Tigers, Verlander agree to extension

Principessa21

and also good for Verlander, I've always liked him, a good deal both ways I think.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Stupid seagulls.

Good for Verlander, though, and good for Tigers fans who have had a rough offseason between losing a fan favorite in Granderson, seeing their $150 million slugger check into rehab for alcoholism, and worrying that the economics of the city would make it difficult to get a deal done.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Tigers still had Verlander for two more years and are paying him roughly what he would have gotten in arbitration. This adds so much more risk for the Tigers. It's like if the Brewers signed Verlander right now to a guaranteed contract for to a 3/$60, for 2012-2015. Not saying this is necessarily a bad signing but it sounds a lot riskier to me when I think of it on those terms.

One of only 2 pitchers who threw a no hitter in interleague play...i forget against who though
Is that true? I thought David Cone threw a perfect game during interleague play, then there was that Astros no-hitter against the Yankees when Houston used 6 pitchers. That's at least 3 interleague no-hitters, iirc.

June 28, 2008, Jered Weaver (6) and Jose Arredondo (2), Los Angeles (AL) at Los Angeles (NL), 0-1.

June 12, 2007, Justin Verlander, Detroit (AL) vs. Milwaukee (NL), 4-0.

June 11, 2003, Roy Oswalt (1 inning), Pete Munro (2 2-3), Kirk Saarloos (1 1-3), Brad Lidge (2) and Octavio Dotel (1), Billy Wagner (1), Houston at N.Y. Yankees, 8-0.

July 18, 1999, David Cone, N.Y. Yankees vs. Montreal, 6-0.

Oct. 8, 1956, Don Larsen, N.Y. Yankees vs. Brooklyn (NL), 2-0

So only Cone and Verlander have one on their own...I guess Don Larsen too.

Archived