Brewer Fanatic

Prince's Future

UeckerAddict
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sports Illustrated hints that it will take 8 years and 200 million to sign Prince. God I hope it's true. That'll really take the pressure off because only an idiot would believe Milwaukee could or should sign one meatbag for that much. For a day: I Love you Scott Boras!

I really agree with this. Even though I know this is not a realistic goal of Boras, I find myself almost instantly free to let go of Prince now that the maneuvering has begun. The contract won't be close to 200, but it's going to be too much for the Brewers, whatever it is. I would think it has the same affect on ownership and management as well. Offer him the best the team can afford and then trade him ASAP for the pieces this team really needs to win: pitching, pitching, pitching and move on. Seriously, we should feel lucky to keep Braun for as long as we will.

Frankly, if this report is true, I don't see Boras backing down from that number. If it's what he wants, he'll be able to get it from some team. It's not realistic for the Brewers to pay that amount for Fielder, so I'd have to be in the trade Fielder this July camp, but only if we aren't in contention, because as said before we won't get as much as people think in return for him. If we contend this year, we can try to trade him in the offseason unless some miracle happens and Boras settles for less.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Frankly, if this report is true, I don't see Boras backing down from that number. If it's what he wants, he'll be able to get it from some team.

I really don't think so. At least one of Howard/Pujols/Gonzalez will likely be on the FA market, and that will help hold down what Prince can get.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My sense is that Melvin will do what he does best and sit on his hands and it will probably hurt us in the end. He may get some undervalued offers, but I don't think the demand for a 1st baseman for a year or so will be there, especially at the price of multiple valuable prospects, which teams aren't giving up as easily anymore. The big teams will wait for free agency, where they will have a lot of other choices to help manipulate offer numbers. Melvin will balk at the early offers, and by next season will get offers of even less value. I just have a feeling that we'll end up keeping Fielder until he goes to free agency, have a token low-ball offer, and get a compensatory draft pick or two.

I have a hard time believing we'd get much value for Prince if we did decide to trade him honestly. Who's going to trade the farm for a guy that they have no chance in resigning or could just wait to sign later? I'd almost rather take my chances in free agency with the crowded market for first basemen(the Yankees already one and maybe out of the market as well) than a bunch of junk prospects like we'd probably get. If we're serious about showing him the money(like 5 years 125 mil like someone else said or whatever) I think we can compete in the open market. He ain't getting 180 or 200 mil no matter what Boras say he's looking for.

Big whoop if we don't have the flexibility to sign awesome free agent pitchers like Doug Davis or Randy Wolf because of it.

I think that's a little pessimistic in terms of value. If you look what the Rangers got for Teixera that was an incredible haul. If the Brewers traded him this July, a team would be getting a 40 HR 1.000 OPS guy at a relatively cheap price. When you look at who the Rays are starting at DH, I could definitely see them trading a couple of their prospects (not as much as the Braves gave up) but still get a decent return. If they are in playoff contention adding a guy like that to the middle of their lineup would give them a real shot of doing damage during a two year window where many of the guys they will lose are still under control.

Rays are short on money. I think duplicating that Tex trade is unlikely. The Braves probably wouldn't do that deal again and there might not have been any other teams that would have then and now. Boston is probably more likely if Big Papi is truly done, but even there, they might get a better deal for AGon. They plain might not want to do it, but I think it'll take a team on the cusp of World Series contention and without payroll problems.
Formerly AKA Pete

I don't mind Prince being traded, as I was prepared for this ever since they extended Braun. But I am sickened that Boras had to open his big mouth this early, causing all the talking heads to chatter about it. Here we are, in April, and we're going to to hear about this all season. Prince is only human, I'm not sure it's possible to focus 100% on baseball and stay "loose" when all this is swirling around him.

Could it be that Boras is forcing the Brewers' hand, trying to force a trade NOW already?

Could it be that Boras is forcing the Brewers' hand, trying to force a trade NOW already?

Not now, but I'm sure Boras would like to see Prince in a big market in July. Big markets bring better marketing opportunities, and Prince is very marketable, so I'm sure that's swirling through Boras' mind.

When you look at who the Rays are starting at DH, I could definitely see them trading a couple of their prospects (not as much as the Braves gave up) but still get a decent return.

Yet another reason for me to root for the Rays and against the Yankees and Red Sox. If the Rays are at or near the top of their division, it would be very tempting for them to pick up a big bat. If the Brewers are selling, Prince would be a great option for them. They could always turn around and flip him in the offseason if they are really short on money. Greatly increase your chances at a World Series for $5MM and get a roughly equivalent haul back when they trade him away... not the worst plan.

I think duplicating that Tex trade is unlikely. The Braves probably wouldn't do that deal again and there might not have been any other teams that would have then and now.

One thing about owners / GMs. When a playoff appearance is in sight, someone will always do something stupid. If the Brewers aren't in the race, I hope Melvin can capitalize on this. Honestly, who wouldn't want Prince on their team? Pretty much every team in baseball would be better with Prince on the roster. If Melvin plays this correctly, he could get a good return. As I said earlier, he really just needs to get one good, young MLB ready pitcher (not easy to come by, but they are out there) and some high upside prospects. We have most of our team set for next year, so we don't need three MLB players back... we wouldn't be able to fit them on the roster if we got them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

With Adrian Gonzalez probably being traded this year I am wondering how that will affect the Brewers if we decide to put Prince out on the trade market as well. Last year Halladay and Lee were the two stud aces on the trade market. Philly wanted Halladay badly but Toronto's asking price was too high. They told Toronto to screw themselves and gave up less to acquire Lee instead. I'm seeing a little bit of a similar situation and I really don't know how it could affect our return on Prince. It's hard to say who the better player is. Anyone have thoughts on this?

One thing about owners / GMs. When a playoff appearance is in sight, someone will always do something stupid.

Doesn't even have to be with playoffs in sight. Some team would overpay for him during the hot stove league as well. Prince is a very marketable guy, and I could see a floundering team like the Nationals or Orioles sign him jsut to generate ticket sales and fan interest. Even look at the Royals. A team floundering for years. If they're in the pennant race, they may be willing to swing a trade for Prince to have him for the pennant drive, then flip him in the off-season. The "face of the franchise" if you will. Some of you guys think too logically, when logic doesn't always apply in pro sports. I'm sure Prince will get every bit of 8 years/$200MM.

Doesn't even have to be with playoffs in sight. Some team would overpay for him during the hot stove league as well. Prince is a very marketable guy, and I could see a floundering team like the Nationals or Orioles sign him jsut to generate ticket sales and fan interest. Even look at the Royals. A team floundering for years.
Prince would be a good fit for the Orioles. Their payroll is down and they don't have any real prospect at 1B. They have a handful of good young position players but no real slugger. Surrounding him with Roberts, Markakis, Jones, and Wieters would make a pretty strong lineup, even in the AL East. Plus they are loaded with talented pitching.

The Brewers really need to get this resolved by the all star break or so. Either get him signed or trade him. I would hate to see us wind up with 2 draft picks for a player of Prince's caliber.

I fear Melvin and Attanassio wanting "major league" ready players for Prince if he is traded to save face with the casual fans. I think we took Mench back as part of the trade for Lee because the owner or GM didnt want prospects. The worst thing would be to trade Prince and not get high upside players in return. Then again in this marketplace I think we are gonna get hosed in any deal we do involving Prince.

The Brewers really need to get this resolved by the all star break or so. Either get him signed or trade him. I would hate to see us wind up with 2 draft picks for a player of Prince's caliber.

He has a year after this one under our control. There is no need to trade him at the deadline this season. I think this sort of thing is better left to the off season roster building phase than mid-season get what you can for him phase. Let him play out the year then shop him around for as good a return as you can. With no real deadline you can allow him to negotiate a long term contract with another team to maximize the return. That is harder to do in July with a hard deadline to deal with.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I won't guess at the yearly costs, but it seems to me the Brewers should be trying to sell Fielder on a 5 year contract. (through 2014).

Personally, I think he will outgrow 1st base before even that contract is over (and I definitely wouldn't go longer than 6 years), but if the Brewers play to his ego and sell him that he will still be young enough to get another big long-term contract after this one, with the goal of not paying a premium for not going closer to the 8 years thrown out by Boras.

A lot of negotiators say the hardest part of a contract is not the $s, but negotiating the length.

Hopefully Melvin is tuning up his scouts to get a trade prepped with the most likely suitors.

Why the rush? Worse happens is Fielder spends another season with the Brewers provides another 5 wins of value and then brings 2 draft picks.
This is probably true, and I tend to agree, although his trade value will certainly be higher at the deadline this year, as well as in the off season than it will be at next year's deadline. All depends on the offer, and where the Brewers see themselves.

He has a year after this one under our control. There is no need to trade him at the deadline this season. I think this sort of thing is better left to the off season roster building phase than mid-season get what you can for him phase. Let him play out the year then shop him around for as good a return as you can. With no real deadline you can allow him to negotiate a long term contract with another team to maximize the return. That is harder to do in July with a hard deadline to deal with.
I agree, but... a team that is looking good for the playoffs that needs a bat or gets their 1B/DH hurt may pay a premium that is usually reserved for pitchers. That other team will have a year and a half to work on signing Prince.

Also if we look to trade during the season, we would be in the position of power as we don't have to trade him. And with that power we could package Fielder with deadweight contracts like Suppan and save mucho bucks to apply towards the 2011 season.

The Red Sox are probably a pretty viable trading partner after this season. Their MiLB system is pretty well-regarded, & they'd have as good a shot as anyone to re-sign Prince before free agency... or after he reaches FA
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We would be able to get higher upside guys with draft picks and if things don't line up right that might be the better way to go. We can probably fill out our roster over the next couple years with guys in the system as long as every single guy doesn't fall apart.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived