Brewer Fanatic

Prince's Future

UeckerAddict

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Doug Melvin ends up signing Fielder to long term extension that would shock the baseball world. That would also be the best thing to happen to the Milwaukee Brewers organization in a long time.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

This makes his future look pretty good. Over 500 home runs and almost 2,000 RBIs? I'll take it, and I hope he'll be in a Milwaukee uniform for all of them.
Those extrapolated career statistics are fun to look at. They have Hernandez projected at 247 wins Sabathia at 290, that really makes you wonder how long until we see another 300 game winner. They've got Dunn at 587 homers, Howard at 543, Longoria at 526, M Cabrera at 535, Pujols at 681.

If there's one thing the Brewers have going for them in trying to extend Fielder, it's the free agent market which will likely contain Pujols, Ryan Howard, and Adrian Gonzalez, so long as none of them gets extended. If I were Fielder, I might consider taking a discount on an extension through 2012 or 2013 to avoid competing with those guys. Let's just hope Albert doesn't re-up with St. Louis at a ridiculous discount. I have a feeling R-Ho won't be giving anyone a discount.

That would also be the best thing to happen to the Milwaukee Brewers organization in a long time.
Reds fans probably thought the same thing back in 2000 when they signed Ken Griffey Jr to a big free agent contract. But the "best" thing that it did was cripple the franchise financially for years and prevent them from fielding a competitive team.

The article doesnt really seem to say too much. Fielder, smartly, is keeping a low profile about the whole thing. Reality of the matter is that if the team is anywhere near what Pecota has projected for the Brewers on July 31, 2010, Fielder will probably be dealt to a team in contention for a very nice, farm system revitalizing, prospect laden deal.

Reality of the matter is that if the team is anywhere near what Pecota has projected for the Brewers on July 31, 2010, Fielder will probably be dealt to a team in contention for a very nice, farm system revitalizing, prospect laden deal.

You think Melvin signed Wolf to 2 years guaranteed and is prepared to give up on Prince this year? If Melvin thought he would only have Prince for this year, it would have made more sense to target a high ceiling guy for 2010 and try to go for broke this year.

Reality of the matter is that if the team is anywhere near what Pecota has projected for the Brewers on July 31, 2010, Fielder will probably be dealt to a team in contention for a very nice, farm system revitalizing, prospect laden deal.

Of course if we are anywhere near what CHONE seems to project we'll be holding on to him. PECOTA is overly negative on the pitching most likely and CHONE has outproduced PECOTA the past couple years.

That would also be the best thing to happen to the Milwaukee Brewers organization in a long time.
Reds fans probably thought the same thing back in 2000 when they signed Ken Griffey Jr to a big free agent contract. But the "best" thing that it did was cripple the franchise financially for years and prevent them from fielding a competitive team.

The article doesnt really seem to say too much. Fielder, smartly, is keeping a low profile about the whole thing. Reality of the matter is that if the team is anywhere near what Pecota has projected for the Brewers on July 31, 2010, Fielder will probably be dealt to a team in contention for a very nice, farm system revitalizing, prospect laden deal.

It's a risk I'm more then willing to take. The Brewers seem like they are in a really good position to do so with 24 million coming off the books after this coming season, and all of the quality depth in their system. I don't think the odds are in the Brewers favor, but who knows they might be able to pull it off. I'm anxious to see what happens. All the Brewers can do is come to the table with a ton of cash and see if Prince accepts it. If they don't come with the intention of spending big, then they better not come at all.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I want to see it happen because I want to see the slack jawed look of the BoSox fans' and every other big market team when it's announced. I'm sick of those fans having it on easy street and getting whatever they want. We should get to keep at least one star player (we do have Braun, but at a huge discount). If we can't keep Prince, we may as well accept the fact we'll probably never win a World Series.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

A few thoughts...

First of all, I see absolutely no way that Prince is traded this season. There is no logical way to compare Prince to Halladay. The Blue Jays were an organization in decline, with management changes and the Red Sox/Yankees in the same division. The Brewers are in a much different situation where the playoffs are more easily attainable without a major rebuild/youth movement. Besides, that isn't Melvin's or Attanasio's philosophy and it would be a tough sell to the 2.5 million+ that will show up to Miller Park this year.

It is clear that Prince is most interested in signing long term with a winning organization. I think that actually hurts the Brewers' chances of getting a long-term deal. Milwaukee has a commitment to winning but can not compete with a team like the Red Sox, who are essentially guaranteed a playoff appearance 50-75% of the time in the current economic system.

The biggest factor is clearly the Pujols contract situation. If the Cardinals hang onto Pujols, they will have a top-3 offensive duo between Albert and Holliday. The Brewers will be much more inclined to match that with a Braun-Fielder duo. The Cardinals and Brewers could temporarily jump their respective rivalries with the Cubs if that happened. There could potentially be 50+ Cardinals/Brewers national TV appearances over the course of a 7-year contract. There have already been 4 announced for this year, and it is still January! If Pujols heads elsewhere, the situation becomes much more complicated.

I also consider the Cubs situation to be important. If the Cubs are interested in a first baseman as Lee's contract expires, the Brewers would be more likely to pay more to keep Prince or trade him in advance. It is bad enough to lose a HOF-caliber superstar, but if you lose him to your #1 rival. That would be like Favre going to the Bears in 1997. I can think of better ways to spend my entertainment money than having that sword jabbed through my heart for the next 7 years, and I am not a fair weather fan by any means.

Basically, I think there are lots of factors involved--it is fun to sit here and play around with the possibilities, but there are just too many unknowns at this point. Both Fielder and Melvin are not going to do anything until some of this stuff sorts itself out. The most important thing for Prince and the Brewers is to have a good 2010 and keep drawing fans to the gate. The more popular he gets in Milwaukee, the better. As Brewers fans, we need to give the guy as many standing ovations and curtain calls as possible. Prince can become the king of Milwaukee--which is something that he could never do in a big city where he shares the stage with many other stars.

Prince is arguably my favorite player. That being said I am not in favor of signing a first-baseman, special or not, to a huge deal. Especially if this means we would lose out on Gallardo (assuming Gallardo progresses how he should). It's easier to replace offense at first base than any other position on the diamond. I don't think it's likely he signs either. At least, this never seems to happen with Boras clients.

Part of me wants him to sign, but I think it's smarter in the long run to deal him for a prospect heavy deal, sign Gallardo to a long term deal and become the pitching heavy team we need to be to get back to the playoffs.

I would rather take a chance crippling the franchise by signing perhaps the best player that it has ever produced. Despite his size, Prince has been very durable, so I'll take the risk that he gets injured. He will only be 27 when he's up for free agency, so I don't buy into the 'he will get too big and be an injury risk and/or unable to play first base' argument. I don't want to rebuild by taking a prospect laden deal. It seems to me that most of the time these superstar for prospects deals don't work out very well for the team taking prospects (unless you're Florida, I guess). The fact is that Suppan and Hall will be both off the books in Prince's free agent year. That should free up almost $20 million of payroll. I say wait and see what Mauer ends up getting from the Twins and make Prince a similar offer this season.

Griffey was traded to the Reds, by the way. I think they dumped a big contract on him right away thereafter though.

I'd love to see him here too but wonder if trading him for a few prospects and having more money would be better? I love him but not sure what's best.

Any chance he'd take a 4 year deal for big money so he could get another big payday at 31?

If you think about it.. There will be about 20 million freed up after 2010, but only 10 million of it would need to be used to sign Prince Fielder. That's if Prince Fielder gets 20.5 million a year. Fielder already makes 10.5 million this year.

I think they would rather do an 8 year deal now because they dont want to take a chance on him slowing down then losing out on a bigger payday.

Prince Fielder could always get a big time deal as a DH.

I think if you truely read Fielder's comments in the article, you can tell that he is ready to enter free agency and is prepared to play for a different team. He wants to play for an annual contender, a place where his family will like and a place that is going to pay him.

He wont be signing any long term deal with the brewers.

They have as much chance as they did signing CC Sabathia last off season. Not gonna happen.

Yeah, I think a lot of the comments he made are the typical, "Yes, I love it here, BUT..." type statements basically all impending baseball free agents make.

I don't think it's even a matter if the Brewers can pay him, because realistically, they could come up with the money. It just probably doesn't make long term financial sense for the club, and that is what stinks about baseball currently.

We're going to miss him a lot when he's gone.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Prince is arguably my favorite player.

Who's going to argue with you? No he's not your favorite player.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Every time this topic comes up I think about how great it is that the Brewers we're able to get a long term extention with Braun (I forget, was it 2 or 3 extra years that they got out of that deal?). I like Fielder better, but the Braun contract is, in my opinion, the best deal that Melvin has made in his GM tenure with the Brewers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

So it begs the question. 1) where might he be traded to next off season and 2) where might he sign as a FA.

Boston makes the most sense as they are loaded with pitching and David Ortiz will be nearer to the end come 2011-2012. Although, it will probably be the Yankees and we'll probably take back three pieces of high A junk that Buster Olney loves.

If Doug Melvin ends up signing Fielder to long term extension that would shock the baseball world. That would also be the best thing to happen to the Milwaukee Brewers organization in a long time.

Everytime I hear a sports fan say something like, this is what it sounds like to me:

"Man, that's a great house. Just awsome. You should buy it! You'd be stupid not to."

"Sure it's nice but how much is it?"

"Dunno..... I'm sure it's a lot. But whatever you have to pay for it, it will be worth it."

Tell me what the difference is.

Archived