Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks

Does anybody think we should trade Weeks & Hart together. This would give Gamel his shot, Mcghee could be the bridge the gap until Lawrie or Green hit the bigs. It could free up some money to sign a right fielder( Dye maybe). I know Weeks value is down but its just a thought.

I think you wait until mid June when Weeks is hot and then move him for pitching quickly prior to him going on the DL.

I'm all for moving him. He is a major leaguer but has turned into a big mistake at where we took him. There is always someone else willing to take a chance on a guy like Weeks.

As for Hart I still think he has value and rate him higher than most others on this board. If the right deal comes along though I'm not against trading anyone.

It's an interesting idea. The problem is that neither of them likely have much value at this point. Putting two low value players together doesn't automatically mean you can get something better for them, since the other team still has to have room for them, not have better options internally, and pay their salaries. You mention Jermain Dye. Why wouldn't the other team just sign him on the cheap? That is assuming he can be had for less than the $4 million+ Hart will get, which may be the case at this point. There is a glut of aging OF types on the market yet.

I also don't even know if Gamel is ready for "his shot." It may be for the best if he starts the season in AAA and shows he can hit consistently again. He just has not hit very well since his ill-fated MLB call up this past season. I would also be worried about McGehee's knees holding up playing a full season at 2B. Granted, we do have Counsell to play backup, but I'd rather leave Casey at 3B for the time being.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm all for moving him. He is a major leaguer but has turned into a big mistake at where we took him. There is always someone else willing to take a chance on a guy like Weeks.

There is no way to judge something like this when injuries are involved. Weeks has been a very solid player when healthy, who knows what he could have done without the wrist problems. We rushed him to the majors which did him no favors either.

It was also a pretty mediocre draft class in the first place. Here are the top 11 picks in that draft. You have to go down to the 13th pick to find a single player who has made an all star game and only 2 of the top 20 have. Only about 11 of the top 35 picks have become full time major league players.

Delmon Young - bad player so far

Rickie Weeks - derailed by injuries

Kyle Sleeth - ?

Tim Stauffer - bad pitcher

Chris Lubanski - ?

Ryan Harvey - ?

Nick Markakis - good OF

Paul Maholm - uneven SP

John Danks - good SP

Ian Stewart - just now finally getting a chance to prove himself

Michael Aubrey - ?

The only player on that list I would take over Rickie is Markakis, who was considered a reach at the time (because he is Greek and Peter Angelos is also, or so the story goes).

And while Rickie is a bit fragile, there is no doubting his ability to produce while on the field. Last year, he was finally getting into a groove when again disaster struck. We have other options if he doesn't stay healthy (as the previous poster mentioned), but there really is no substitute for Rickie at the top of the order (especially if they put Gomez or Escobar in the 9 hole).

Does anybody think we should trade Weeks & Hart together. This would give Gamel his shot, Mcghee could be the bridge the gap until Lawrie or Green hit the bigs. It could free up some money to sign a right fielder( Dye maybe). I know Weeks value is down but its just a thought.

Why would you 'sell low' (actually extremely low) on two guys at once? Though I don't have much faith that Hart will bounce back, I think Weeks still has a chance to break out. Last year was going to be the season for it, and his injury absolutely sucked the life out of the team. Since there doesn't seem to be enough spots in the infield, I think the Brewers should have looked into either moving McGahee or Gamel. The problem is McGahee probably wouldn't bring back equal value and Gamel's value was hurt by Macha's mismanagement of him.

I'd hold on to Weeks until we're certain of Fielder's situation. If they end up dealing Fielder in 2011, that will open a spot for either Gamel or Lawrie and leave plenty in the budget to keep Weeks if they want to. If they did manage to lock up Fielder, then look to trade Weeks. Weeks is still very affordable and possesses much more upside than does Hart.

Hart doesn't have a ton of trade value right now and that doesn't figure to change. He may have to be packaged with an extra arm at some point.

Ennder[/b]]

There is no way to judge something like this when injuries are involved. Weeks has been a very solid player when healthy, who knows what he could have done without the wrist problems. We rushed him to the majors which did him no favors either.

I agree, I think Weeks still has immense potential. Whether injuries continue to derail his career remains to be seen but the guy can hit when he's healthy. Brandon Phillips' name keeps popping in my head when I think about giving up on him.

I agree, I think Weeks still has immense potential. Whether injuries continue to derail his career remains to be seen but the guy can hit when he's healthy. Brandon Phillips' name keeps popping in my head when I think about giving up on him.

I've never understood people holding out for Rickie to become a "Brandon Phillips type player. Sure, I wish he had Phillips' glove and durability. But Weeks is the better hitter, and pretty much always has been.

I've never understood people holding out for Rickie to become a "Brandon Phillips type player. Sure, I wish he had Phillips' glove and durability. But Weeks is the better hitter, and pretty much always has been.

I guess I'm just talking production wise not talent level. If he produces at that type of level we're probably not discussing whether or not to try and trade him at this point. Their careers started off slowly for different reasons, but Cleveland basically gave Phillips away and I don't want to see the Brewers do the same with Weeks.

Why do people suggest that Rickey Weeks has been a bust. This isnt the NFL, anytime a guy gets to the MLB and performs decently makes the pick solid. Sure the guy has gotten hurt, but he is still young and as a previous poster suggested.. look at brandon phillips. Heck, I'd argue that Weeks has a little different tool set than Phillips that could make him a more valuable offensive player than Phillips "if" he puts it together in a similiar fashion. Moving him for the sake of moving him makes little sense... stick with the kid, he works hard / has the talent / and as last season suggested could be primed for a breakout if he stays healthy.

Archived