Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart

Is Corey now in a platoon. 4.5 Million seems a lot of RH part of a platoon. The edmonds signing seems weird to me.

You're not alone in thinking the Edmonds signing is weird. I doubt it's a case where Hart is in a strict platoon though. One reasonable explanation for the Edmonds signing is that he's being brought in to battle Gerut for the 4th OF spot. Edmonds has no value as the 5th OF. His swing is long and not conducive to being productive unless he's seeing regular AB's.

Why you'd want a 40 year old that hasn't played in 2 years, and has lost his range in CF as your 4th OF getting 350 or so AB's is beyond my comprehension. I guess the price is right.

Maybe they want to save a little money by cutting Gerut if he's not swinging the bat well in Arizona. Maybe they truly believe or fear Gomez could benefit by playing in Nashville and they want as many options as possible for CF.

My best guess (and it's purely a guess as it could be Melvin's just lost his mind) is that they have a tentative deal in place for Hart but the trading partner wants to do more scouting of Corey this spring. This extra time also give the Brewers time to assess the rotation situation as a deal of Hart likely involves a pitcher too. If that's the case, then well Edmonds makes sense. He's cheap and has been a productive player in the past. But he would need a platoon partner too if Hart were dealt.

I wonder if you could trade Hart for someone like Andrew Miller of Florida, Collin Balester of Washington or even Andy Sonnenstein of Tampa. It would add some pitching depth.

If they hadnt gone out and got Gomez, id say maybe for Jordan Schafer from Atlanta.

I wonder if you could trade Hart for someone like Andrew Miller of Florida, Collin Balester of Washington or even Andy Sonnenstein of Tampa. It would add some pitching depth.

If they hadnt gone out and got Gomez, id say maybe for Jordan Schafer from Atlanta.

if they could get schafer for hart, i'd do it right now. he's cheaper and has alot of upside. braves fans are really big on this kid.. put schafer in right and have edmonds help him improve his fielding. he could be an all star. miller or sonnenstein would be good but they are big league ready and we have no place for them until next season.

Ok, so I don't usually try to come up with trade proposals because they always end up sounding like they are only suited for a video game...but after talking with a buddy today I got to throw this one out there and let you guys tell me why it stinks. Assuming that won't be a problem for you all http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewers send Corey Hart and Jeff Suppan

RedSox send Mike Lowell and minor leaguer

Why it works for Boston: The RedSox rid themselves of the Lowell mess and get Hart as 5th outfielder. Right now they only have Cameron and Bill Hall listed at RH outfielders and Hart could get some starts in right for Drew against lefties.

Why it works for Milwaukee: Wolf, Gallardo, Davis, Bush, Parra and Narveson still work as starters with Parra or Narveson becoming long man in the pen. Lowell becomes RH bench option with spot starts for Casey at 3rd. Saves team approx. $5 million to give Melvin "flexibility" back. Gerut, Edmonds, or even Oeltjen provides another lefty in lineup.

Ok, so I don't usually try to come up with trade proposals because they always end up sounding like they are only suited for a video game...but after talking with a buddy today I got to throw this one out there and let you guys tell me why it stinks. Assuming that won't be a problem for you all http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Why it works for Boston: The RedSox rid themselves of the Lowell mess and get Hart as 5th outfielder. Right now they only have Cameron and Bill Hall listed at RH outfielders and Hart could get some starts in right for Drew against lefties.

Why it works for Milwaukee: Wolf, Gallardo, Davis, Bush, Parra and Narveson still work as starters with Parra or Narveson becoming long man in the pen. Lowell becomes RH bench option with spot starts for Casey at 3rd. Saves team approx. $5 million to give Melvin "flexibility" back. Gerut, Edmonds, or even Oeltjen provides another lefty in lineup.

No way, I dont even know why you guys want to trade Corey. He is the Starting RF I think he will have a good year.

3 concerns:

1) An AL team loses a bench spot due to the DH, and the Sox carry a 12 man pitching staff, meaning no 5th OF. One (gulp) good thing about Bill Hall is that he's versatile enough to serve as both a utility IF and capable OF (another good thing is his -1.5 mil cap number . . .)

2) What do the Sox do with Suppan? don't know that they would take him or his contract

3) I think Hart has, in a very short time span, gone from wildly overrated to wildly underrated on this board. Yes, Hart is a big dude with a LOOOOONG swing with lots of holes in it. No, he's not gonna put up a near-.900 OPS again like he did in '07, but he still a decent RF with 20/20 ability that has value, even as a starter, if he can continue to past OPS north of .750. Hart had the best BB rate of his career last year. If he can maintain the gains in isoD that he made last year and get his slugging back up to his '08 level, Hart could approach a line of .265/.330/.450 - not too bad - certainly not flotsam or jetsam (whatever that is)

Edit: Make that 4 concerns . . .

4) Lowell might not pass a physical AND is only capable of playing 1B, DH, and 3B sparingly, where the Brewers already have Prince, Gamel, and McGehee

Edit2: I still think Lowell can hit though, even with the thumb injury.

Hart, Suppan, for Meche or Hart, Salome, Suppan, for DeJesus, & Meche. Takes away depth, but does it take away quality depth? The question would be Meche's health. And if McGhee could learn RF passable enough vs. lefties or go the (Thames, Gomes route) Lets Bush, Narverson, Parra compete for 5th spot.

Hart, Suppan, for Meche or Hart, Salome, Suppan, for DeJesus, & Meche. Takes away depth, but does it take away quality depth? The question would be Meche's health. And if McGhee could learn RF passable enough vs. lefties or go the (Thames, Gomes route) Lets Bush, Narverson, Parra compete for 5th spot.

kc does need a young, stable catcher and salome could learn under kendall for the next year and get more playing time with kendall backing him up the year after that. i dont know how willing they would be to get rid of meche. i would say let bush go relief, release narveson, and put manny as #5. yo, wolf, davis, meche, and parra would be the 2nd best rotation in the division (probably the most solid 1-5 though).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I completely agree that Hart is underrated here. He is an average starting RF and we seem to want to dump him in with Hall and Suppan? If we want to upgrade the RF position, that would be a good idea. But just to dump him? Suggesting we start someone that one of these "good RH OFs" that can't get a job right now?

Thank you, but no.

Gotcha Wizhead, understood. Lowell is not a fit in Milwaukee. Brewers have decent to elite options at the corners.

But even I think Suppan would have to be included for the crew to get a deal done from a financial end. KC would probably want Parra & somehow get Guillen to Milwaukee. That would be an overpay while Meche & DeJesus are good they certainly don't deserve that much value.

Meche would be the second best starter on the Brewers. He will not be acquired for Hart and Suppan (who really has negative value, given his contract). I agree that the Royals would value Hart, but it would take more than just him (meaning prospects too) to get Meche, and Suppan would not be included unless Guillen was going the other way, ans the only reason the Royals would try to unload Meche would be for financial reasons.

Saving 10 Million on Meche isn't a good reason?

Why would they take a bad deal, though, just to save on a pitcher that's probably going to be worth his contract? They can just wait until they get a better offer, and I'd have to imagine that around the trade deadline they'll get more than one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Or he gets hurt & gets stuck with nothing. With healthy Meche they win 73 without 66. What did the Tribe get for Lee at the deadline, Braves for Tex, CC for the tribe. Hart & Salome is pretty decent value. Meche is good, but not elite. Too many factors to expect a big haul on him. Of course Dayton Moore has ignored logic before.

Archived