Brewer Fanatic

fausto carmona

No thanks. His BB and K rates stink. His BB rate is almost as high as Manny Parra except his K rate is nowhere near as good as Parra. He would be run out of town like Suppan. In fact his BB and K rates are closer to Suppan than Parra.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Carmona is interesting because of his team friendly contract, but his pitch to contact style would get him killed with Milwaukee's pathetic defense behind him. The Brewers need guys who can miss bats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Carmona is interesting because of his team friendly contract, but his pitch to contact style would get him killed with Milwaukee's pathetic defense behind him. The Brewers need guys who can miss bats.

Like Doug Davis, Dave Bush, and Randy Wolf?

It's thinking like you expressed in your post that resulted in them passing over Garland and Pineiro and instead going for "bat missers" Davis and Wolf. Pitching to contact = lower pitch counts and less stress on the bullpen.

As for supposed deficiency in Brewer defense, it's not bothering Kameron Loe is it? Carmona profiles similar to Loe.

picthing to contact= more balls in play=more men on base=more stressful innings =more bullpen work

Loe strikes out a good deal as a reliever.

Loe is also a RP not a SP, remember he flopped as a starter earlier in his career.

Again one needs to stress how wide Loe's splits are. His FIP vs RHers is 2.12, vs LHers its 5.65. Which is pretty much in line with his starting splits in Nashville (3.16 and 5.76). He's been really lucky with LHers so far but I wouldn't expect that to continue.

It's thinking like you expressed in your post that resulted in them passing over Garland and Pineiro and instead going for "bat missers" Davis and Wolf. Pitching to contact = lower pitch counts and less stress on the bullpen.

I don't recall a lot of support on BF for Garland or Pineiro (see Suppan, Jeff). We might not like Wolf's numbers this year, but he was the consensus second best free agent pitcher last year. Sharpie would be fine in the rotation if he was putting up his normal numbers.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It's thinking like you expressed in your post that resulted in them passing over Garland and Pineiro and instead going for "bat missers" Davis and Wolf.

Davis and Wolf averaged less than 7K/9 last year and were trending downward. How are they bat missers?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

JohnBriggs12[/b]]

As for supposed deficiency in Brewer defense, it's not bothering Kameron Loe is it? Carmona profiles similar to Loe.

Is the part in bold supposed to be in blue?

And I really don't think Loe is the best pitcher to model our staff after right now. Sure his ERA looks great, but it is smoke and mirrors based on his BABIP of .219 (think that will last all year!?) and his LOB% of 80.9%. I am happy we have gotten 30 great innings out of him, but to expect him to keep this up is setting yourself up to be extreamly disapointed. He looks to be the exact same pitcher he has always been and his results in 30 innings wont change that.

• 4 months later...

Cleveland is apparently shopping him - sounds like it would be a cheaper alternative to greinke and possibly garza or shields.

Contract:

2011: $6.1 million, 2012: $7 million club option, 2013: $9 million club option, 2014: $12 million club option, 2015: Free Agent

Fausto should cost less then Garza and Greinke. But would the Indians want to take a chance on more Brewer prospects that flame out!!! Offer up a three or four prospects not named Cain, Rodgers, Jeffries, Ordozzi, Heckathorn, and Gamel. Gindl, Rivas, Scarpatta, and Peralta to name a few.

Interesting name to throw out there. He had a nice year last year. What was the deal the 2 years prior; I don't remember was he hurt? He only pitched 120 innings each year after his stellar 2007 season. Has anyone seen him pitch enough to know if he has some upside yet. I never really thought of him as a hard thrower, but I noticed fangraphs had his avg. fastball at 92. Not overpowering, but harder than what I thought. He's still young enough to improve so it'd be worth investigating

Interesting name to throw out there. He had a nice year last year. What was the deal the 2 years prior; I don't remember was he hurt?
They made him throw 230 innings in his first full season as a 23 year old (counting the playoffs) and his arm fell off. He'd be a great one to take a flyer if you didn't have to give up too much.

That contract is very appealing -- there don't even appear to be buyouts on the team options, if Cot's is 100% correct. If Garza/Shields isn't a possibility, I'd like to see Melvin try to get Carmona. I'd rather have him than Blanton.

We could have gotten him extremely cheap a year to two years ago. This would represent a classic and great "buy high" opportunity for Doug Melvin.

This cracked me up -- well played.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like this option a lot. I just watched video of him from his last start of last season, he hit 94 a couple times on their gun and had lots of movement in all his pitches. He also had 4 CG which i think we need pitchers who go deeper. if we can get him cheaper prospect wise, his salary isnt bad. Its by far the best option ive heard of IMO.

Archived