Brewer Fanatic

Is Baldelli available?

From rotoworld:

"The South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that the Marlins are interested in Rocco Baldelli.

"That's definitely going to be something the Marlins go after," an unnamed National League executive said. "That guy fits everything the Marlins are about." To get Baldelli, the newspaper reports that the Marlins might be willing to trade Josh Johnson, Scott Olsen or Ricky Nolasco."

Given the whole "Crawford's available but not Baldelli" vibe, I was surprised by this.

Can someone explain the love affair over Rocco Baldelli? Looking at his numbers he looks... average. His OPS was nice last year, but that was in just half of season and the previous 2 seasons it was sub .800.

I would be ok w/a package of ZachJack, Gwynn Jr and maybe someone else but I really would have a longer list of guys I would trade than Peavey previously listed.

the newspaper reports that the Marlins might be willing to trade Josh Johnson, Scott Olsen or Ricky Nolasco."

Baldelli is a solid and emerging player. He just turned 25 and posted a .872 OPS this season. However, Josh Johnson won't even be 23 for a couple months and is a starting pitcher who put up a 3.10 ERA this season. Plus, he's an extra two years away from a raise/free agency.

If they're talking about Olsen, Johnson, or Nolasco, the analogous Brewers (established pre-FA pitchers) are Capuano and Bush, who have less value than the corresponding Marlins IMO. So would you give up Capuano and a nugget? Or Bush + Inman?

Getting Crawford or Baldelli would be cool, but the guys you give up are going to hurt...a mix-n-match AAA grab bag ain't gonna do it. FLA has pitching to burn, so they match up well. The Brewers would miss anyone they traded much more in the short term.

Similarly, it would be sweet to get some of that Marlin pitching, but it's not going to come cheaply.

Archived