Brewer Fanatic

Johnny Damon

http://www.rotoworld.com/...px?sport=MLB&id=2130

The Yankees are apparently only offering 2 million. Oakland supposedly may be able to nab him for 4-5 million. Gah, I would love to add Johnny Damon. I know he is less than adequate in the field. I don't deny that, but having Johnny Damon in the lineup instead of Corey Hart would make me very happy.

Rickie Weeks

Johnny Damon

Ryan Braun

Prince Fielder

Casey McGehee

Greg Zaun

Alcides Escobar

Carlos Gomez

Having that lineup with Corey Hart getting time as the 4th outfielder would make the Brewers a potentially much more potent offense.

I am a bit shocked that the market for Damon has dried up this much that he's looking at a 5-7 million dollar contract. I'd love to see the Brewers offer up a 1 year $6m with a team option for $10m.

(I thought there was a damon thread around somewhere but I can't find it)

If you sign Damon for $5-6 million, they would probably have to cut salary somewhere else. It sounds like the Brewers are basically at their limit now as far as salary. That would probably mean non-tendering Hart or trading him for basically nothing (if anyone even wants him).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He's really just a DH at this point, or a poor LF, and is declining with age. Don't think he's a good fit with this team.
He might be a poor fielder (range? Instinct? Arm?) but his bat certainly isnt declining. Id love to have him as a 4th outfielder over Gerut.

His performance at Yankee Stadium last season (.915 OPS) skews things. Taking overall value into account, I don't see a fit with the Brewers. Offensively I do, but an OF of Damon//Gomez//Braun just wouldn't be good.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There's really no reason why Damon would want to come here, and we don't have the extra money to offer him, so I don't know why people keep thinking it's an option. I have to agree that he'd look good in RF for us, and in this lineup, but it's just not realistic.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Damon is not a RF and could not play RF. His range is diminishing and his arm is historically bad - probably the weakest I've ever seen.

It's not strong obviously, but this has got to be hyperbole. It's not that bad. It's not the weakest in the big leagues right now.

Luis Gonzalez and Juan Pierre both have/had substantially weaker arms.

To plug a player like Damon into the lineup, I'd move Braun to RF and stick Damon in at left. To work a .300/.365 bat into the order in the #2 hole, I'd give up some defense, especially with the additions of Escobar and Gomez to the lineup.

We'd have to deal Hart, and then scrap the Edmonds idea for this to happen(roughly about 5.5 million savings) and then give him 6-7 million dollars.

It almost certainly won't happen, but in terms of fantasy baseball, we could do far worse.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The problem with Damon is that he's not a .365 OBP bat anymore unless he's playing half his games in Yankee Stadium. He's likely to be somewhere around .350 (I didn't base this just off '09; .350 is appx. what his past three years road OBP works out to be). Not bad, but not exactly special, either. And especially not at the delusional price Damon seems to be demanding.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived