Brewer Fanatic

What's up with Corey Hart? Latest: Hart wins arbitration hearing (post # 190)

AJAY
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarcasm just doesn't work the same over the internet

If you were being sarcastic, no worries. I know some people that constantly complain about arbitration and the costs associated with it. I have to remind them that execs of baseball teams fly all the time, rent cars, and have paid meals. It's one of the perks.

I'm surprised Hart won. I thought I misread it a few times before finally believing it.

This will sound sexist but I knew the Brewers were in trouble when I saw 2 of the 3 on the panel were women and therefore more likely liberal leaning. Liberals are experts at giving away other peoples money.

Seriously, I've gotten hammered on here for occasionally suggesting non tendering of arby eligible players. How many guys are either still out there or signed for less than $4.8 million that would look better in RF than Corey Hart?

This will sound sexist but I knew the Brewers were in trouble when I saw 2 of the 3 on the panel were women and therefore more likely liberal leaning. Liberals are experts at giving away other peoples money.

Seriously, I've gotten hammered on here for occasionally suggesting non tendering of arby eligible players. How many guys are either still out there or signed for less than $4.8 million that would look better in RF than Corey Hart?

Damon is about the only one, maybe Gomes. I imagine Dye wants more than $4.8M and I don't want someone like Emil Brown or Garret Anderson at this point.

I am both stunned and angry that Hart won his case. It's ridiculous. I feel like he has stolen money from the team I love. He really better show something this season or else is he is going to get booed miserably. Unlike that arbitration panel, the fans watch this team and know what's going on.

Is this money guaranteed or could he theoretically get cut and owed nothing? (I am not saying the Brewers should cut him, but I am just curious what the options are).

I also wonder if the Brewers will make some other kind of roster move to save money and send a message to the union that if someone gets an undeserved raise, another player will have to pay the price. Of course, the move would have to make sense from a competitive standpoint.

The Brewers could release Hart mid-way through spring training and be responsible for only 1/6th of that salary, a little closer to the end of spring training, 1/4 of that salary.

At least I believe that's the case. Neither is likely.

Right. The only scenario I could see is if Melvin and the Brewers decide to bit the bullet and sign someone like Johnny Damon or another player they feel could be a decent improvement over Hart for not much more money (and a guy like Damon wants a two year contract, so it may not be worth it).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hart... I'm not so upset. There is something in a lot of the complaints. Yes, he had a .753 OPS, but his OBP went up from .300 to .335 even as his batting average dropped from .268 to .260. He also had a career high in walks - 43, in about 180 fewer ABs.

I suspect that the issue in 2009 was his appendectomy. Had he played and gotten ABs similar to what he had in 2008, I think he'd have cme close to a third straight 20/20 season with 35-40 doubles.

He is solid, not spectacular.

Braun is in LF. the question is how much PT gets split between Hart, Gomez, and Edmonds in CF/RF.

Damon is about the only one, maybe Gomes. I imagine Dye wants more than $4.8M and I don't want someone like Emil Brown or Garret Anderson at this point.

The Yankees signed Randy Winn for $1.1 million. Aubrey Huff and Xavier Nady, both better hitters, albeit defensive liabilities in RF, each got around $3 million. The best offer Dye has gotten was $3 million and that's been off the table for months. Gomes is still out there. I'd take any of those guys at those prices over Hart at nearly $5 million.

MLB trade rumors suggested Willingham was used as a Hart comparable. That's incredible. Willingham has 4 straight years of OPS well over .800 and he consistently gets on at a .360 clip. He's been far more consistent and patient a hitter with more consistent HR power than Hart too.

I think Briggs hits the nail on the head. Money for rather marginal position players isn't being thrown around like it used to. That's just what makes this arbitration ruling more frustrating and confusing. The system is clearly broken and should be reevaluated.

For the record, I am not angry at Hart about this. I was disappointed in his performance this past season, but I want him to play well this season because it will help the team. It's just with a small market team like Milwaukee, every dollar counts. While a $1.5 million pay increase might not be a huge deal in terms of sports salaries, it could possibly hurt the Brewers' ability to add further payroll during the season. That would be a very bad consequence.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

While in theory Hart could be cut saving $4 million, the Brewers would likely face an objection from the union if they did it.

No, the answer isn't cutting guys after losing hearings, the answer is to not tender them in the first place if their production can be matched from the open market or from your system for less.

Clearly one reason Hart apparently had no trade value is that other teams don't see value in him because arbitration assured he would get paid. It all comes down to value.

For the record, I am not angry at Hart about this. I was disappointed in his performance this past season, but I want him to play well this season because it will help the team. It's just with a small market team like Milwaukee, every dollar counts. While a $1.5 million pay increase might not be a huge deal in terms of sports salaries, it could possibly hurt the Brewers' ability to add further payroll during the season. That would be a very bad consequence.

The thing is, Hart's 2009 was disappointing for two big reasons:

1. There was the (IMO) misguided effort to re-cast Hart as a #2 hitter. When Hart hit 6th, his OPS was .924. Hitting 5th, it was .793. Batting 2nd, he hit .760 (albeit with a .369 OBP).

2. There was also the appendectomy. That cost Corey a lot of PT, and the layoff probably did untrack him a little.

Neither were Hart's fault. The club erred in the lineup part. Appendicitis is something neither player nor club had any control over.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This will sound sexist...
No, it sounded ridiculous.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So Xavier Nady, the only one listed comparable to Hart, got $3m despite not even playing last season and we're supposed to be incredibly upset that Hart got $4.8m? $700K makes no difference to the Brewers, the likely reason they went to arby anyway since it looks like MLB decided to make another stupid arbitration stand this year (making Lincecum your poster case is so foolish only Bud's men could come up with that plan.)

I'm not sure what baseball's history has been in arby hearings or how they are organized - but in a lot of businesses, arbitrators feel pressure (to retain their job) to make sure that the decisions (over time) are close to 50/50 regardless of merit. As the case is that both sides usually pick the arbitrator (or firm) and one side would axe an arbitrator that voted against them too often. If that is the case, you know you are flipping a coin when you go to arby.

Archived