Brewer Fanatic

What's up with Corey Hart? Latest: Hart wins arbitration hearing (post # 190)

AJAY

I don't think its a big deal either way, its strictly business. I just hope Corey Hart plays good this season, because I have a feelling fans will treat him extra poorly if he doesn't. I will still be cheering for him.

I predict he will have a very good year and make people forget, but I'm an optimist.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be shocked if he won, but stranger things have happened.

Add me to the list of people who think he may struggle with taking the criticism. I have heard these hearings can be pretty nasty for the player to sit in on. I am glad the Brewers hired a law firm to present the case instead of Doug or Ash doing it.

I find this funny. So if the Brewers lose the case and pay for lawyers it's a waste. If they win and pay for lawyers it's probably the same total cost it would have been to just give Hart what he wanted.

I was listening to XM radio during an interview with a reliever who went to arbitration several years ago (I forget who it was). And he said that despite the fact that he won the case, he would have rather taken the club offer if it meant not having to listen to all of the negative points about himself. He said that the arbitration process created such a huge rift between himself and the front office that he requested to be traded that season. Even if this is an extreme outcome of the process, I still think Corey Hart is going to come out of it worse for the wear. I wish him luck and I hope it's worth it.

Like others have said, I would like to see a great season out of Hart and I'll be cheering him on.

I find this funny. So if the Brewers lose the case and pay for lawyers it's a waste. If they win and pay for lawyers it's probably the same total cost it would have been to just give Hart what he wanted.

I'm going to guess it cost a lot less than $650k to hire a law firm for a few hours...

I'm going to guess it cost a lot less than $650k to hire a law firm for a few hours...

Oh really? Thanks for pointing that out.

But what about the cost of the plane tickets to Florida, the hotel rooms, the rental car, food and drink? Maybe they make Gord, the lawyers, and the Brewer's negotiator shack up in 1 room with a twin bed. Ketchup sandwiches for lunch and dinner should also help. I bet they had to road trip down there in an '80s Geo Metro.

But what about the cost of the plane tickets to Florida, the hotel rooms, the rental car, food and drink? Maybe they make Gord, the lawyers, and the Brewer's negotiator shack up in 1 room with a twin bed. Ketchup sandwiches for lunch and dinner should also help. I bet they had to road trip down there in an '80s Geo Metro.

I just don't think it'd be all that expensive. I mean this is a normal course of business for the Brewers. Same thing as DM going to Huntsville or Nashville on a scouting trip or going to a road game. Even if it's a total of $50k for everything...that's obviously less than the $650k. And I also think the Brewers are sending a message to their current players. They'll be fair, but they're not going to pay more than what they think is fair.

I'm also going to guess (I have no idea, but just a guess) that the Brewers essentially prepared their argument, but are having the law firm present the case. This is probably just to give Hart the feeling that the Brewers aren't ripping on him.

The players must attend the hearing.
See, i think that is a mistake. Forcing a player to attend can result in bad blood between the player and management. Allow them the right to attend if they chose, but don't force them. Also, it looks like we will know by mid-friday if hart wins or not.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

At the end of the day the cost of going down there and arguing outweighs the cost of having Corey bully them into paying more than they feel he's worth. He's taken advantage of the club's goodwill and thought there was no way they'd take this to arby. It is a slippery slope with these things. I'm glad they're down there and I'd expect them to win.
Formerly Andersoc420

http://nbcsports.msnbc.co...7/ns/sports-player_news/

Brewers outfielder Corey Hart won his

arbitration hearing Friday and was awarded a $4.8 million salary for

It's a bit surprising that

Hart pulled out the victory, considering he hit just .260/.335/.418 with

12 home runs in 472 at-bats last season. The 27-year-old outfielder

was offered $4.15 million when arbitration figures were exchanged last

week, so his prize is a cool $650,000.

1250 just reported that Corey won his arbitration hearing.....
Ugh. You have to be kidding me, right?

Nope, you weren't. Here's what Haudricourt says:

I just received a text message from Brewers negotiator Teddy Werner,

who said he was informed by management's Labor Relations Dept. that

rightfielder Corey Hart won his arbitration hearing, conducted Thursday

in St. Petersburg, Fla. Hart will receive the $4.8 million salary he requested. The Brewers had offered $4.15 million. So, the gamble Hart and his agent, Jeff Berry, took paid off

handsomely. Even had Hart lost, he would have received a $900,000 raise

from his $3.25 million salary of last year. Instead, he gets a $1.55

million raise.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived