Brewer Fanatic

What's up with Corey Hart? Latest: Hart wins arbitration hearing (post # 190)

AJAY

An article on Brewers.com is stating that Corey Hart and the Brewers are once again far apart in their negotiations and that they might need an arbitration hearing to resolve this. I realize there is probably some posturing going on from both sides, but every other arbitration eligible player has reached an agreement quickly. For the second straight season, Corey Hart is taking this thing to the last minute and seems to be demanding more relative to how other players are perceiving their worth.

Earlier in his career, Corey Hart reportedly turned down a multi-year contract that probably would have paid him much more than he seems worth right now. Corey has been very inconsistent at the plate ever since his appearance in the All-Star game, and he has also complained about the fans being tough on the team at times. He disappointed us down the stretch in 2008 when we were in a very tight playoff race and he was looking miserable at the plate.

I am not going to blame him for missing time last season because he obviously can't control what happened to his appendix. But overall, I am starting to get a little sour on him both on and off the field. His production last season was somewhat disappointing. His contract negotiations never seem to go smoothly either. I am just not getting a good vibe overall. And it's sad because he seemed to have so much promise when he first got called up and began getting playing time. I used to be really excited about his potential.

I just hope he cooperates a little more with the front office and gets it going at the plate. I can't help but wonder if he is on thin ice with management and fans.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless Corey is looking at mediocre former Brewers Outfielders that were overpaid (Grissom, Jenkins, Hammonds, etc), I can't fathom how he thinks he deserves a big raise based on his performance. I am an Econ guy, but it's frustrating to see Corey fighting over dollars he didn't earn, while I'll likely be taking my third consecutive paycut as a teacher (and I'll be entering my 4th year as a teacher). I'm not trying to play the teacher salary-card...I'm in better shape than most since I actually have a degree in something besides Education. However, I want Corey to be great and don't want to hear about him being disappointed with the Brewers' arbitration offer than is roughly 25% higher than last year's salary.

Maximizing his earnings...it seems unlikely he's going to lose anything by not settling now, it seems the offer will still be there in a few days.

That's the idea, but he hasn't been very smart about it. For a guy who seems to be motivated by money, a conversation usually ruled by the Scott Boras clients of the world, he certainly hasn't been motivated enough to have that dedication translate to the baseball field.

And I don't say that implying that he is unmotivated as a baseball player, but right now, after going through two consecutive disappointing seasons, he's the type of player that should sign for "market value" and focus on what he needs to do to truly garner that big pay-day very soon. Both he and the Brewers will be better off when that happens.

Figures may have been officially exchanged a little over a week ago, but DM and Hart's agent have probably been talking all season. I doubt the exchanged number was much of a surprise to anyone.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I am growing tired of Corey Hart and his contract antics as they relate to his on-field performance. You expect this from and even respect players like Ryan Howard and Tim Lincecum, but this is a guy who plays very average defense and has looked lost at the plate for 1.5 seasons. Basically, he had two outstanding months in 2008 and every time contract talks come up he thinks he is the next Willie Mays.

Trade him away.
The problem is that no one wants him at this point because he is fairly easily replaceable and will likely be overpaid this year.

Hopefully Hart comes in with a slight chip on his shoulder and proves the critics wrong. I am not going to be overly optimistic about him, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I felt bad when people started jumping all over him 2 years ago when he started peeing down his leg but if he doesn't produce this year I'm done with him. I think he's got serious mental problems when it comes to hitting. He needs to get it together this year. I'd love to have the old Corey "Teen Wolf" Hart back.

I'm sure Melvin doesn't want to break his "streak" of not going to arbitration hearings, but it might not be a bad thing to make an example out of Hart. I think the Brewers would probably win the hearing. Melvin has shown recently that he's willing to get tough on under performing players, and Hart may have to be held accountable at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd like to see the Brewers hold firm and take this one to a hearing. The Brewers number represents a $900,000 raise for a guy who did little last year. No way is Hart worth a nearly 50% raise and he wouldn't get it.

It's worrying me that the Brewers in an effort to have "core" group together, hold on to pieces of that core that aren't cornerstone players. The only two that are, are Fielder and Braun, and possibly Weeks if ever reached his potential. I can understand them being fooled into thinking Hardy was, but not Hart. He's not a terrible player, but he's expendable and always has been.

Of course he has a right to ask for whatever salary he wants. I can't fault him for that, no matter how misguided his request. Still, he just doesn't seem like a very smart guy. Not meeting the Brewers in the middle on this is further evidence.

Talent and hard work may get you to the majors, but brains and learning from experience gives you a long career. At the plate he flails away, as though he doesn't really understand the game. he makes ridiculous base running blunders. I expect him to be a bit better in 2010 than last year, but the league has his number and he's appears incapable or unwilling to make adjustments.

I agree completely. This baseball culture that players should automatically get huge raises year to year has gotten insane. A guy like Hart with his performance track record should be grateful to be getting a basically automatic $900,000 raise to begin with.

Who is his agent? Whoever it is, isn't doing a very good job in managing their client's expectations.

I agree that this should go to arby. Maybe he finally needs to hear the team rip into him about why he's not a superstar. I can't imagine the team would lose this one.

I've mentioned this before, but I really hope the Brewers run a "soft" platoon of Hart and Gerut in right field. One of them is likely to regain his old form, and if I had to guess, it'll be Gerut.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Who is his agent? Whoever it is, isn't doing a very good job in managing their client's expectations.
Jeff Berry, CAA Sportshttp://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/images/random/redsquarebull.gif Headquarters: Los Angeles

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/images/random/redsquarebull.gif Key agents: Nez Balelo, Jeff Berry, Casey Close, Greg Landry, Brodie Van Wagenen

Berry specifically represents Mark Buerhle and John Danks among others.

The group (specifically Nez Balelo) represents Ryan Braun. Of course, Casey Close has been in the news with Ben Sheets this week.

Prior to the emergency appendectomy in August 2009, Hart had turned in two good months, one so-so month, & one bad month. He came out of the gates very strong in April, struggled in May, turned in a roughly average June, and hit well again in July. I don't think it's a stretch to think that without the fluky injury/ailment he'd have turned in a season OPS over .800. He was in the high .700s before the appendectomy, and all it really would have taken was another average month plus another good month, which really isn't that unrealistic given his other performance in 2009.

Fans just tend to get way too down on players (Bush, Parra, Gamel, Hart, etc.) way too easily imo -- heck, even Fielder at times. Can anyone really honestly say that they wouldn't want to get another couple hundred thousand dollars tacked onto their salary when it's within reason as much as it is in Corey's case? 'He thinks he's the next Willy Mays'? Come on.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He may have overestimated his worth but it isn't like he is worthless. If he gets back on track and stays healthy he could end up being an underpaid player this season. That said sometimes a player needs to take a step back and realize when it comes to arbitration next season's pay is based on past production not future potential. When he hits free agency someone may once again pay for potential but he's got a way to go before that happens.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What's up with Corey Hart? What's up? He stinks. That's what's up. And worse still--he doesn't realize it. Maybe it's not his fault. But that long foul ball home run he hit when he first came up is almost a perfect metaphor for his career.

I don't understand the anger here, specifically over his contract negotiations. First of all, negotiation is still in process. Second, how does the negotiation between his agent and the Brewers affect his ability to prepare for the season, midway through the offseason. I'm sure he's working out, running, and the rest of it. Third, I think most people would behave the exact same way in this situation and try to maximize their earnings based on the system in place.

I can understand frustration with his performance over the last year or two, but using this a rather meaningless one-year contract negotiation against his doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Let's hope he turns it around and goes back to the Corey we know and love. Hope springs attorney!

Warhawk Joe, I think the contract dispute is becoming an annual pattern. His under-performance on the field is also starting to become a pattern. If it was just one bad season or one contract dispute, then it probably would not be a big deal. But the overall combination of things over the last two years has left a sour taste with me.

For some reason, this doesn't seem to be happening with other players on our team.

Archived